What would be the best?

Im looking at the GuitarPort with RiffTracker and the Line 6 TonePort UX2

I also have a Spider Valve amp that has a port on it that says its for POD style direct Recording.

How should I go about recording my guitar.

I play heavy metal BTW.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
Bump

This is important
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
hmm, ok heres the scoop on the line 6 Toneport UX2.

Has many cool effects+ different versions of each effect which= about 20 different effects.

Over 50 amp models and 50 amp heads.

over 100 different presets.

you can of course mess with the knobs on each amp.

has acousic, electric, bass, and vocal effects and such.

free recording software

you then are able to burn your CD's

You can go onto the tone library online and look up different artists settings.

+ much more

I've had mine for about a year and I've had no trouble at all, I live it and it took about 5 minutes to install.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
well if you are looking to spend around $200 for teh UX2 or similar I highly suggest something different as you can do better for that price range.

The Mackie Onyx Satellite firewire interface has much better preamps and stable drivers compared to the Toneoprts.

If you dont have a Firewire connection on your desktop, newegg has cards, (search "firewire card" and pull up the first on the list according to best rating.) They run about $20.

If you are limited to a laptop and must have USB im sure the Toneport will work but dont expect great sounds out of Gearbox. A few of the members here and me have been let down by that software so I'm not sure why it gets such high reviews.

BTW, what are you planning on recording?
and whats your budget for mics, interface, cables, and monitoring?
also what computer are you using?

The best way would be to buy a Shure SM57 mic and mic your current amp to record. This will give you the best sound IMO.

The POD direct out is so you can record direct to an interface or mixer/interface.
You must try it each way to find which you like best. You get more room tone/sound when using a mic and can change your sound by moving the mic around and sometimes sections of the amp will be bypassed when recording directly out of an output.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jan 29, 2008,
well I got a M - Audio Fast Track and I have a Gateway Laptop with Vista.

I STILL have latency. what should I do?
Quote by Green RATM Day

Quote by The Raven

All My Equipment
the toneport has no effects...it comes with GearBox, which is like a POD
the device is just an interface

no matter what product you buy you probably wont be happy with the amp sims they come with...most people use GuitarRig,Amplitube or Revalver as their amp sims