Page 1 of 4
Me and my friend were talking about theories today and that *points at thread title* is what ended up coming out of my mouth in the end, and we both just started laughing.

But we discussed that a theory (n): a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world; an organized system of accepted knowledge that applies in a variety of circumstances to explain a specific set of phenomena" is everything. Everything is a theory.

Everything you see, interpret, comprehend, define, etc. as a human being is a theory, everything you see in your own eyes is in itself a theory. Catch the drift?

Anyways me and my friend went off on a huge tangent about this topic (we were high mind you) and I just felt the urge to share this THEORY with you guys.

So, what are you thoughts on this topic?

Discuss...

in theory.
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
BlackZeppelin is like Ghandi. With a bigger sense of humor.
it's the silence between the notes that makes the music.
Last edited by -BlackZeppelin- at Jan 27, 2008,
*must not post stupid reply*

/smiles and nods

Of course...
..is a girl
Quote by RPGoof
WAT
How about just send a ship at the speed up light directly to the sun, and the gravity will pull it towards the sun, thus speeding it over the speed of light.

Quote by Kaed15
*must not post stupid reply*

/smiles and nods

Of course...

Congrats you still posted a stupid reply.
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
The only thing that I can ever know is real is my own consciousness. So yes, everything else is just a theory.
Quote by Malakian88
The only thing that I can ever know is real is my own consciousness. So yes, everything else is just a theory.

But what if your consciousness is just tricking you into thinking that you have a consciousness?
Hah, I've heard this before, but I still find it interesting.

/worthless post/

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Quote by Malakian88

Cogito ergo sum?

there is no basis to prove anything in this universe... you choose what to believe

because if deep inside of your mind you refuse to believe anything (as in even gravity) you as a whole being will not be converted to believe that...

all in all.. i agree with your theory

edit: this seems like a great disscusion thread... too bad i have to sleep... to wake up in 3 hours...
Quote by just17n8
there is no basis to prove anything in this universe... you choose what to believe

because if deep inside of your mind you refuse to believe anything (as in even gravity) you as a whole being will not be converted to believe that...

all in all.. i agree with your theory

In theory you do... in theory.
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
and all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imaginations of ourselves.

here's tom with the weather
the game
The only thing in life that you can be certain of is yourself.

/thread.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
In theory you do... in theory.

hahaha... its amazing how far this can be taken...

but seriously... i need to sleep
Quote by Yngwi3
The only thing in life that you can be certain of is yourself.

/thread.

No, that's just YOUR theory.
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-

Tell me something that you can be absolutely 100% certain of other than yourself.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Quote by -BlackZeppelin-

and THAT is just YOUR theory.
^Oh what a paradox we have created

Quote by -BlackZeppelin-

Name me something that you can be absolutely 100% certain of other than yourself.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3
Tell me something that you can be absolutely 100% certain of other than yourself.

Nothing really, but what I see as myself(a living human being) is still just a theory.

So, no one really can be certain about ANYTHING.
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
That's called the scientific method. Way to go.

That's like, one of the most basic principles of science.
Quote by Yngwi3
^Oh what a paradox we have created

Name me something that you can be absolutely 100% certain of other than yourself.

The Beatles are better than the Rolling Stones
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Nothing really, but what I see as myself(a living human being) is still just a theory.

ok well let me word this better.
What can you be certain of, other than your existance
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by sargasm
That's called the scientific method. Way to go.

That's like, one of the most basic principles of science.

-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
Quote by Yngwi3
ok well let me word this better.
What can you be certain of, other than your existance

Well how can we even be certain of our existence. As far as we know we may not exist.
Quote by cjb2293
In theory, proving something is just a way to convince someone that your theory is something that they should believe.

If it's true however, surely it should be believed?
I'm off to bed, it's too late for this ****

edit:
Quote by Beakwithteeth
Well how can we even be certain of our existence. As far as we know we may not exist.

Quote by thefoundationof
our existence cant be proven either

Then how do you propose that you are 'thinking about thinking'? - Plato
How do you propose that you are thinking about concepts such as these if you don't even exist to think it?

and THAT is my last post
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3

Haha same here. I got school tomorrow. This thread still better be alive tomorrow when I wake up!

*goes to bed... in theory*
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Me and my friend were talking about theories today and that *points at thread title* is what ended up coming out of my mouth in the end, and we both just started laughing.

But we discussed that a theory (n): a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world; an organized system of accepted knowledge that applies in a variety of circumstances to explain a specific set of phenomena" is everything. Everything is a theory.

Everything you see, interpret, comprehend, define, etc. as a human being is a theory, everything you see in your own eyes is in itself a theory. Catch the drift?

Anyways me and my friend went off on a huge tangent about this topic (we were high mind you) and I just felt the urge to share this THEORY with you guys.

So, what are you thoughts on this topic?

Discuss...

in theory.

Are you ****ing kidding me? Where were you thousands of years ago?

My thoughts are that this philosophy has existed long enough, and even still, everyone with conscious thought has pondered this idea at least one point in their existence.
There are observable forces in which we can trust, but virtually all abstract and metaphysical concepts are "theories".

**** like gravity isn't a theory though. I hate it when people are under the assumption that gravity is some kind of mental barrier, and that if you release it you are no longer costrained by it. Actually, its a force, and it makes **** fall. Think all you want, you'll still fall the same.
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Congrats you still posted a stupid reply.

..is a girl
Quote by RPGoof
WAT
How about just send a ship at the speed up light directly to the sun, and the gravity will pull it towards the sun, thus speeding it over the speed of light.

Quote by Kaed15

But you get a box of AIDS!!

-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
Quote by Yngwi3

edit:

Then how do you propose that you are 'thinking about thinking'? - Plato
How do you propose that you are thinking about concepts such as these if you don't even exist to think it?

and THAT is my last post

Everything is a lie
thus everything is the truth.

Thus if we accept the lie, then we accept the truth

So we exist in a way of imagination,
but we don't exist.

EDIT: hoped that made sense xD
Quote by thefoundationof
Everything is a lie
thus everything is the truth.

I'll stop you there:

No.

That's a contradiction.
See my sig. First link.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
I like Music Theory...

Does that count?

^^^^I never liked Plato that much....he was just recycling Socrates in a way, and that theory of Rational worlds and such doesn't convince me.

(And about the Allegory of the Cave thing, how did the caveman free himself again ? Ialways seem to forget...(I don't wanna google it, it is too late))...
Last edited by gonzaw at Jan 27, 2008,
If you say that the theory that all theories are theories is a theory, then you are basically saying that a theory is a theory. If something is itself, therefore it is not a theory that it is itself.
Ex: A dog is a dog. That is not a theory becuase if it was then there is a chance that the dog could not be a dog. If nothing is what it actually is then there could be no life or anything because it would something else.
(If anyone got what I just said, I congradulate you)
Space reserved for cool quotes.
Are we on the same page of what a theory REALLY is?

Remember kids, a theory is NOT a hypothesis. Which is what a lot of scientifically ignorant people treat it as.
Quote by H^2

Wise words Trashfan.

trashfan
Quote by Chubbychunks
It's not going to be that great. Although particle physics does give me a hadron.
Page 1 of 4