I've been playing for about 7 months and I'd like to think I've progressed greatly (Able to play Laid To Rest - Lamb of God, Raining Blood - Slayer, Orion - Metallica [full]) and a good understanding of theory. Now, I'm thinking of buying a 7 string to replace my current 6 string and was wondering, how's the transition? Will I be totally lost for awhile? Will it be easy to re-learn the scales and chord formations with a 7 string? Will I be able to play 6 string tabbed songs or will I have to transcribe the notes to fit a 7 string? I really want a 7 string but I dont want to feel like I'm starting guitar all over again. Thanks!
I highly doubt you've mastered a sixer after 7 months. Keep with the 6 for a while, and if you still feel inclined, get a 7 later. You won't have much use for a 7 at only 7 months. You got any vids of your playing?
Gear:
Fender Standard HSS Strat w/ Tone Zone bridge
ESP Ltd EC-1k Black cherry
Carvin DC127 blackburst with Bareknuckle Warpigs
Peavey 6505+
you can play a 6 string song on a seven it just hard not to hit the top strings
Quote by DarkRaven03
I highly doubt you've mastered a sixer after 7 months. Keep with the 6 for a while, and if you still feel inclined, get a 7 later. You won't have much use for a 7 at only 7 months. You got any vids of your playing?

I don't, sorry (too poor after my guitar purchases!) But I assure you that they are played cleanly and without mistake. I haven't masted a 6 either, I doubt anyone could within my time period. I was just wondering if I could continue learning properly with a 7 string that could possibly be applied as well to a 6 string or whatever.
Quote by DarkRaven03
I highly doubt you've mastered a sixer after 7 months. Keep with the 6 for a while, and if you still feel inclined, get a 7 later. You won't have much use for a 7 at only 7 months.

+1
i mean it's just an extra B string at the top. You don't even have to use it.

The only difference will be that the neck will feel awkward at first and you won't be able to rake the low e-string.

I wouldn't recommend replace your 6string but just adding a seven string guitar.

EDIT: thought I'd add a warning...A LOT of people get seven strings and end up hating it or finding it in the end quite useless.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by DarkRaven03

Exactly what is wrong with having a 7-string if you just started? If you can't play the songs you want to play because someone said not to buy a 7-string, what's the point in playing? Why do you HAVE to master a 6-string before you play a 7?

Playing a 7-string is a little strange feeling at first because the neck is wider and there's another string throwing you off. You get over it pretty quick though. Playing 6-string songs on it will be good practice to learn how to avoid the low B when you want to.
^+1. I've never understood why people say that you have to master six before 7. That's like saying you have to learn to play a 61 key electric piano before an 88. It doesn't honestly matter that much. You don't have to use the string in everything you do, but it's nice to have the option there and for me, my 7 string's neck is more comfortable than any of my sixes.
my first electric guitar was a seven string so you don't need to master a sixer first. with the type of music you play a seven string would be good, but there aren't as many bands using 7's so you'll probably want to do some original stuff with your great knowledge of theory.
Quote by d. b. cooper
I listen to metal, therefore I do not have feelings...
Thanks for the input! I'm still pretty stuck, but I think I might end up going with the 7 string. I planned on playing a lot of Dream Theater with the 7 string as long as typical 6 string songs, but I'm not sure yet.
There is no difference with a 7 string except the added string above the E string called the B string, you don't have to relearn scales and you can play 6 stringed songs

Think of it like this

e|---------------------------|
B|---------------------------|
G|---------------------------|
D|---------------------------|
A|---------------------------|
E|---------------------------|

Thats is a 6 string, 7 strings however look like this

e|---------------------------|
G|---------------------------|
D|---------------------------|
A|---------------------------|
E|---------------------------|

See there, it has and extra string on top?

Thats a seven string
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
Go for it if you really think it's worthwile. A 7 string isn't a big shift from a 6. Its just extra notes that you can incorporate into songs if you so feel like.
However, and not to sound like a prick, none of the songs you mentioned are really technical at all or very difficult and from the looks of them, I'd doubt you'd need the range. If you think you need the range, and therefore can justify the 7 string, go for it.
But don't think of a 7 string as a standard evolution from a 6 string.

IMO, and not to bag on your playign which I'm sure is fine, but stick to the 6 for a while. Try playing harder stuff like dream theater and see if you really find yourself needing a 7.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
You haven't mastered a 6 string after 7 months. Keep working, and maybe after about a year or so of playing you can start thinking about a 7 string.

EDIT: Not to shit on you or anything though. You could play songs just the same on a 7, you just have some extra range, an extra string, and a thicker neck to deal with. If you feel you really want to, go for it!
Last edited by petrucci_owns86 at Jan 28, 2008,
Quote by DagMX
Go for it if you really think it's worthwile. A 7 string isn't a big shift from a 6. Its just extra notes that you can incorporate into songs if you so feel like.
However, and not to sound like a prick, none of the songs you mentioned are really technical at all or very difficult and from the looks of them, I'd doubt you'd need the range. If you think you need the range, and therefore can justify the 7 string, go for it.
But don't think of a 7 string as a standard evolution from a 6 string.

IMO, and not to bag on your playign which I'm sure is fine, but stick to the 6 for a while. Try playing harder stuff like dream theater and see if you really find yourself needing a 7.

I agree, they are not that hard but I've only been playing for 7 months. Not making excuses, but it's a given that I'm not going to be able to play Paul Gilbert by now. I would learn more songs but I don't really know of many songs around my difficulty. Which brings me to my next question, since I am teaching myself do I improve so I can play those by doing various left/right hand exercises and technique exercises (alt. picking, etc.) ? If so, what are some good exercises to do that? I find those songs to be too easy for me, but I listen to mainly technical music so I am out of my comfort zone finding tabs.
Quote by Death298
I agree, they are not that hard but I've only been playing for 7 months. Not making excuses, but it's a given that I'm not going to be able to play Paul Gilbert by now. I would learn more songs but I don't really know of many songs around my difficulty. Which brings me to my next question, since I am teaching myself do I improve so I can play those by doing various left/right hand exercises and technique exercises (alt. picking, etc.) ? If so, what are some good exercises to do that? I find those songs to be too easy for me, but I listen to mainly technical music so I am out of my comfort zone finding tabs.

try playing some easier dream theater stuff like Home, root of all evil etc...
If you want a slight challenge, try doing children of bodom stuff like sixpounder, hatebreeder etc..
also you've probably tried them but try doing battery and master of puppets by metallica.

Also to practice technique, follow rock discipline by john petrruci. He'll make you be able to play much better
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
try playing some easier dream theater stuff like Home, root of all evil etc...
If you want a slight challenge, try doing children of bodom stuff like sixpounder, hatebreeder etc..
also you've probably tried them but try doing battery and master of puppets by metallica.

Also to practice technique, follow rock discipline by john petrruci. He'll make you be able to play much better

Thank you very much!
Quote by petrucci_owns86
You haven't mastered a 6 string after 7 months. Keep working, and maybe after about a year or so of playing you can start thinking about a 7 string.

EDIT: Not to shit on you or anything though. You could play songs just the same on a 7, you just have some extra range, an extra string, and a thicker neck to deal with. If you feel you really want to, go for it!

Once again, WHY does he have to wait? Nobody has given any sort of reason yet, just "No, you can't have a seven string yet, you have to wait." Owning a 7-string isn't some exclusive club only for the cool people. Why can't he have a 7-string if he wants one? Does being better at a 6-string make playing a 7-string easier? Is there some hidden requirement where you have to be at a certain level before you're allowed to play one?
Last edited by wanderingguitar at Jan 28, 2008,
I love my 7-string. Wish I'd bought it earlier
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by wanderingguitar
Once again, WHY does he have to wait? Nobody has given any sort of reason yet, just "No, you can't have a seven string yet, you have to wait." Owning a 7-string isn't some exclusive club only for the cool people. Why can't he have a 7-string if he wants one? Does being better at a 6-string make playing a 7-string easier? Is there some hidden requirement where you have to be at a certain level before you're allowed to play one?

because you really don't need 7 strings for the kind of music he mentioned, so we're just making sure he can justify the purchase. A lot of people(me included) buy 7 strings just because we think: OMGZ! EXTRA STRING! I'LL PLAY BETTER!

I only really started doing technical stuff on the 7 recetly myself. Before that it was stuff like sikth, alterbridge, korn. Now I'm doing dream theater and coheed and cambria style runs..but thats also because I've been playign two years now and am at the skill level to do so.
At 7 months, a 7 string would have been wasted on me.

ot to say it would have been wasted on him, i cant judge his playign skills, but it makes more sense to get to a certain level first.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by Death298
I've been playing for about 7 months and I'd like to think I've progressed greatly (Able to play Laid To Rest - Lamb of God, Raining Blood - Slayer, Orion - Metallica [full]) and a good understanding of theory. Now, I'm thinking of buying a 7 string to replace my current 6 string and was wondering, how's the transition? Will I be totally lost for awhile? Will it be easy to re-learn the scales and chord formations with a 7 string? Will I be able to play 6 string tabbed songs or will I have to transcribe the notes to fit a 7 string? I really want a 7 string but I dont want to feel like I'm starting guitar all over again. Thanks!

Scales are not shapes!

Scales are collections of notes; if you know the fretboard, then shapes should have any importance.
Quote by TheShred201
^+1. I've never understood why people say that you have to master six before 7. That's like saying you have to learn to play a 61 key electric piano before an 88. It doesn't honestly matter that much. You don't have to use the string in everything you do, but it's nice to have the option there and for me, my 7 string's neck is more comfortable than any of my sixes.

Not really, most piano players will actually know how to play the piano, so it doesn't matter how many keys there are. However a lot of guitarists don't actually know how to play the guitar, they think of everything in terms of fret numbers and shapes and rely on tabs and chord boxes.

Those kind of players don't have the slightest understanding of how their guitar works musically, hence the countless threads like "How do I tune to drop D without a tuner?" , "I have learned the Am pentatonic scale, does anyone have a tab of G minor pentatonic?" and "How do I play chords in drop C?". In that situation a 7 string is pointless, it's not so much a case of mastering 6 strings but you at least have to understand the basic musical principles behind your instrument. My instincts tell me the TS isn't far along enough to benefit from a 7 string yet - I'd wait at least a few months so that you'll can actually do something useful with the extra string.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Not really, most piano players will actually know how to play the piano, so it doesn't matter how many keys there are. However a lot of guitarists don't actually know how to play the guitar, they think of everything in terms of fret numbers and shapes and rely on tabs and chord boxes.

Those kind of players don't have the slightest understanding of how their guitar works musically, hence the countless threads like "How do I tune to drop D without a tuner?" , "I have learned the Am pentatonic scale, does anyone have a tab of G minor pentatonic?" and "How do I play chords in drop C?". In that situation a 7 string is pointless, it's not so much a case of mastering 6 strings but you at least have to understand the basic musical principles behind your instrument. My instincts tell me the TS isn't far along enough to benefit from a 7 string yet - I'd wait at least a few months so that you'll can actually do something useful with the extra string.

I agree very much with this. I'm a huge fan of extended range instruments (Chapman Stick, Warr Guitar, 7 & 8 string guitars) but unless you have a solid understanding of intermediate theory they won't do you much good.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by steven seagull

Thank you for the first non-asinine post saying it'd be better to wait.
The only thing I'd recomend to the OP is to pick a 7 string with a wide neck, it will make the switch much easier
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by wanderingguitar
Thank you for the first non-asinine post saying it'd be better to wait.

You're welcome

The clues are all there in the original post, worries about being able to play 6 string tabs, having to re-learn scale positions etc. All that points to someone who's still going through the basics of learning guitar, not maybe from a technical point of view but certainly musically. If the TS sticks with 6 strings and learns a bit of basic theory he'll get to the point where he's answered all those questions himself.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com