I was wondering how many famous guitarists have built their own guitar and play it? And I mean from scratch, not just paint jobs. Thanks if you know!
Brian may built the red special with his dad

Tom Scholz modifiyed all his guitars heavly
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era

Tom Scholz modifiyed all his guitars heavly

Yeah, that dude had an engineering degree or something like that.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
Quote by breadfan82
Yeah, that dude had an engineering degree or something like that.

yup from MIT
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by vamprocker
eddie van halen dude

he didnt build it
from what ive gathered, he slapped a few old fender parts together and painted it a crappy pattern
if you want to get techincal dude he did he sanded down the orginal parts to fit his perks so kinda yeah and no
Yeah, Brian May's Red Special is totally awesome. Who builds a guitar out of a fireplace mantle? I modified a strat knock off to copy the electronics, but as soon as I can afford one I'm going to get one of his signature models, and even better he now oversees the company himself now, so you know they've got to be pretty authentic unlike some previous incarnations.
Quote by KingNando
he didnt build it
from what ive gathered, he slapped a few old fender parts together and painted it a crappy pattern

well that's basically from scratch, he bought all the parts separately, and took the humbucker from his LP and made the Frankenstrat, he even made the space for the humbucker, because it was a Strat body, it was only big enough for a single coil
Quote by dustnbones316
well that's basically from scratch, he bought all the parts separately, and took the humbucker from his LP and made the Frankenstrat, he even made the space for the humbucker, because it was a Strat body, it was only big enough for a single coil

when i think of someone BUILDING a guitar, i think of them actually making the main parts, such as the body and neck. as in crafting the timber components from a piece of wood.
in my opinion, gettin seperate parts and putting them together, even if you need to adjust or route things, is still not building a guitar.

EDIT: and he didnt make ANYTHING from scratch... routing out a section to fit a humbucker is nothing
I know of Brain May and he is still playing it
-bredalıyık adamın amına koruk-
Quote by SicSeb
I know of Brain May and he is still playing it

Wasn't the original stolen after the Freddie tribute gig?
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Tom Morello

i mean, he didnt carve the body and all that, but he put in all the pickups and electronics, paint, writing, all that type of stuff.

i found this on another website: "Tom's main guitar is a Strat-style body modelled after a Kramer with an extra-wide rosewood Performance neck. The hardware is from all different guitars, and it has two EMG humbuckers. The wiring is kind of unique. The guitar has two volume controls, one for each pickup, so that Tom can get a toggle effect where he'll turn the neck pickup off and the other one all the way up."
I can only think of one, and that's Eddie Van Halen, he built his frankenstrat inside and out, and then painted it.
Quote by KingNando
he didnt build it

Try Kramer, Charvel, Mesa, and Gibson parts, asshole.
Pokemon, dead or alive?
Ryan Philips from Story of the Year
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Randy Rhoads
Brian May
Eddie Van Halen
I think Mustaine built his Kramer but Im not sure
Quote by powerhead
Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
Quote by KingNando
he didnt build it

Eddie pwns you
Quote by powerhead
Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.