Ok first of all I would like to say hello to all of you here, I'm new to the forum but i have been lurking for a while and i see there are some realy knowledgable people here so i decided to join.

Ok now to the problem:

Introduction:
I have been playing guitar for some time now (less than a year)and there are still some things that im a noob at when it comes to guitar knowledge, I own a Jackson Kevin Bond Signature RR (will be posted below the text) and I'm thinking of buying another guitar that has 24 frets,tremolo and 2 pickups (hummbuckers) and it should be "spikey" or however you call it just not a round shape at the botom.

Picture of the Rhoads i own:

http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jacksonkevinbondsigrhoaxz5.jpg

Specs:
Model Name Kevin Bond Signature Rhoads™
Model Number 290-0500-(599) and 290-0501-(599)
Series Pro Series Artist Signature
Colors 290-0500-(599) Black with Blood Red Bevels, (BBRB),
290-0501-(599) Black with Flourescent Green Bevels, (BFGB),
Gloss Polyester Finish
Body Mahogany
Neck Neck-Thru-Body Mahogany
Neck Dimensions 3rd Fret: .790”, 12th Fret: .850”
Tuning Machines Die-Cast Tuners
Fingerboard Ebony
No. of Frets 22 Jumbo Frets
Bridge Pickup Seymour Duncan® “Iommi” Humbucking Pickup
Middle Pickup N/A
Neck Pickup N/A
Controls Volume
Bridge JT390 Adjustable Bridge with Schaller® Fine Tuning Tailpiece
Pickup Switching None
Hardware Black
Strings NPS, Gauges:
.009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042
Case Optional Deluxe Molded Case
Pickguard None
Scale Length 25.5”
Width at Nut 1-11/16”
Notice Product Prices, Features, Specifications and Availability Are Subject To Change Without Notice
Unique Features Compound (12” to 14” Fingerboard Radius,
Pentagram Position Inlays,
Blood Red Jackson Logo
Ivoriod Binding on Neck and Headstock
Introduced 1/2005

The Problem:

I bumped into this Peavey Vortex EX guitar accidentaly while looking at some guitars on the net and i fell in love with the looks but im concerned about its quality....I meen on paper its good:

http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=000000396hr8.jpg

24 3/4"scale with 24 frets
Basswood body with satin black finish
Bolt-on maple neck for fast rhythm and lead playing
Rosewood fretboard
Six-in-line headstock
Two hot-wound ceramic Peavey pickups with three-way toggle
Single volume
Fully floated, Floyd Rose-licensed double-locking tremolo

The wood is good everything else is upgradable...

My plan was to buy it and in some time change the tremolo to a OFR and change the pickups to SD or EMG...So i send some e-mails to make sure the guitar is good:

Ok im interested in buying a Peavey Vortex in a few days but i have some questions that just aren't leting me buy the guitar before i hear the answers so here goes:

1.Why isnt th Peavey Vortex EX shown on your website?
2.Why does it have EXP printed on its headstock if its EX series?
3.And can i put a Floyd Rose Original or a Floyd Rose Pro bridge on it without any wood modifications?

Thanks in advance.

-Stefan

Their answer:

Stefan,

1.Why isn't the Peavey Vortex EX shown on your website? This model is currently going through a name change.
2.Why does it have EXP printed on its headstock if its EX series? All Peavey import guitars are part of the EXP series so they all carry the EXP designation.
3.And can i put a Floyd Rose Original or a Floyd Rose Pro bridge on it without any wood modifications? The Original should fit without modifications to the body.

I hope this helps.
Thank you
Anthony Johns
Regional Service
ManagerPeavey Electronics

Would any of you have a problem if you owned a Vortex and its name was changed?Or would you be happy that you own something rare now?(by the way the name change is happening becouse some other company is using the same name so they want to avoid confusion thats what they said in the next e-mail)

So the main question is: do you think is it posible to turn this Vortex in a pro guitar with some upgrades?It costs only 300 euro here and i have like 800 euro but i fell in love with the guitar so if it can be turned in a pro guitar like my Jackson I'm willing to spend my money on it.(I would probbably put SD or EMG-s in it as i said above and i would equip it with an Original Floyd Rose) If you don't think this would be a smart move then please make sugestions what guitar should i buy but it has to have a tremolo, 2 hummbuckers (NO SINGLES), 24 frets and must be a unusual shape like the rhoads,explorer,kelly etc...

P.S. I play Death and Black metal thats why i choose guitars with hummbuckers.

Thanks in advance and please don't be angry cuz of gramar mistakes i learn english at school only.

-Stefan
Last edited by Sezax at Jan 27, 2008,
buy a guitar worth 800 euros instead, look at Dean, ESP and Ibanez, they have some pretty hardcores guitars
Ummm i don't like Vs that are simetrycal and all the guitars you listed are over 800 euros where i live eaven if i can get them becouse i could get like only 1 or 2 of those....No deans here and no Jackson 1 models.

I would buy a Ibanez Xiphos black but i can;t get that either....And i would need to get it a new Edge Pro trem so its costly....

We have a reallt crapy selection of guitars here in Bosnia and Herzegovina so i think the Vortex is my only way to go if its a quality guitar ofcourse...
Ok i just got back from the store and it feels realy good the clean is nice and the dist shreads the floyd was a bit dodgy.

All in all na nice axe with current hardware but i would swap that anyways.

So im still undecided can it be turned in a pro quality axe like my Jackson...

More expirienced people please help a fellow guitarist out...
Wow. You wrote an essay there.

Peavey actually makes some quality guitars, and the Vortex EX is one of them. The pickups sound surprisingly good, and the trem isn't anything to complain about. But I must ask, what amp do you have?
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mafropetee
Wow. You wrote an essay there.

Peavey actually makes some quality guitars, and the Vortex EX is one of them. The pickups sound surprisingly good, and the trem isn't anything to complain about. But I must ask, what amp do you have?

Thats probably the reason why so little people are answering...

I don't have an amp yet but i have a 1000 euro to 1500 euro stashed for an amp sto that is not a big problem

Do you know in what country the Vortex EX is made in i somehow missed that info....

And I have some doubts that its posible to fit a OFR in there without any routing but thats just an eye judging based on pics...Anyone disagrees?
Heh, such a massive chunk of text warrants a reply. It's such a pity i'm of little use, but good luck anyway!

[/unhelpful]
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Heh, such a massive chunk of text warrants a reply. It's such a pity i'm of little use, but good luck anyway!

[/unhelpful]

Thx i hope someone takes the time to read it anyways
I love my Jackson but i want ot buy a guitar with 2 buckers and a tremolo becouse my Jackson doesn't have it.And i don't mind round shaped guitars but for now im sticking to the pointy ones.

P.S. there is NO way to get a quality B.C. Rich where i live...Only the mega low end odels here....
Last edited by Sezax at Jan 30, 2008,
I personally wouldn't go along with your plans to start upgrading an axe before you have even bought it. If you are not confident you can do the work yourself someone else is going to have to do it for you - and that won't be cheap. What is wrong with the traditional stepping-stone route most of us take?

This company draws up various lists including "heavy" guitars. Learn the market backwards and you'll see if your passion holds. I don't understand why you say you can't get an Ibanez? How so? They give plenty of bang-for-buck.

The Ibanez RG370DX is one best rock axes you can get for its price.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=heavy_guitars&oa=pra
Stop showing off and play the music!
i smell rich kid

less than year playin+jackson sig model+want 24fret/floyd
MIJ Rhoads Pro '90
Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
I would say that you should buy a good metal amp, and upgrade your current guitar.
Hello
Quote by Peter Hayes
I personally wouldn't go along with your plans to start upgrading an axe before you have even bought it. If you are not confident you can do the work yourself someone else is going to have to do it for you - and that won't be cheap. What is wrong with the traditional stepping-stone route most of us take?

This company draws up various lists including "heavy" guitars. Learn the market backwards and you'll see if your passion holds. I don't understand why you say you can't get an Ibanez? How so? They give plenty of bang-for-buck.

The Ibanez RG370DX is one best rock axes you can get for its price.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=heavy_guitars&oa=pra

I can't get the Ibanez i want - As in I live in a crappy country and none of the 15 music equipment stores carry a Ibanez XPT700 black.....BTW i considered geting the RG370DX i tryied it and wasn't really impresed that i can't turn 2 hummbuckers on...

Quote by damm_punks
i smell rich kid

less than year playin+jackson sig model+want 24fret/floyd

First of all i got the Jackson as a gift from my cousin, now i have my own money and don't have anything smarter to spend it on so yeah I'm going to buy on whim (I never said i NEED that Vortex...I just want it...). But then again why the hell are you trying to be a smartass when you don't know me at all?

Quote by MXBoy11
I would say that you should buy a good metal amp, and upgrade your current guitar.

I will buy a metal amp that is not a problem and i have nothing to upgrade on my curent guitar....
Dude you just need to do what you think is best. I just bought a LTD M-1000 and a pair of Dimarzio Evo's Neck and Bride. I could have spent my 1g on a better guitar but i knew what i wanted pickup wise and i knew what i wanted hardware wise so i just found the guitar that appealed to me the most and upgraded it to my specifications. End note i would take the guitar i upgraded myself of any stock any day its got exactly what i want in it.
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Quote by Pavel_Gavrilov
And where are you living, if it isn't a secret?

I live in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

P.S. I decided not to buy a new guitar just yet.I'm going to wait and see what goods do the 2008 models bring and then decide...Until then imma look for a good amp.

Thanks to everyone who posted informative and constructive replys.