I'm interested in these amps, but I wanna try it before I buy it, but there's no local guitar place that carries them.
Anyone have one that can tell me a little more about it?
Do you need pedals to make it sound good or does it sound good out of the box?
I have and F-50, Its a great overall amp. Zero Frills but it gets the job done. The gain channel has an amazing distortion and the clean channel is ALMOST like a fender amp but not quite. The only con with the F-50 and I think with all Mesa Boogies is its hard to get a good sound right out of the box. I takes time to get to know the amp and find ideal EQ settings.
they sound pretty good out of the box to me, in general [edit: although the post above me is correct. I took a while fiddling with the EQ to get a tone I liked, but I got it eventually]. If a local store doesn't have something I want, I just ask them to order it for me so I can try it. Even if they order it for you and you don't want it, there's not much lost for them, chances are that someone'll come in and buy it, or it'll save them ordering it in for someone else if they were going to anyway. It wouldn't hurt asking if they can order it for you, and trying it yourself is better than just buying it from what random people on the internet tell you
Yea its always good to try anything before you buy. But here in calgary atleast if music stores don't have a product your looking for, and you want to order it they ask for like 10% down before they order it. Which I really hate.
Mesa Boogie amps are IMO the best, and that is why I own one...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
I suggest you try to find one somehow to demo. Some people love Mesas, some, don't.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

How can you be interested in Mesa and not know anything about them?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Jan 28, 2008,
I didn't know sh*t about Mesas either. Then, I finally went to the Mesa/Boogie store in Hollywood. I tried every amp in the store. Not my cup of tea.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Quote by Archeo Avis
How can you be interested in Mesa and not know anything about them? This reeks of fanboyism.

i think he's interested + want to know about it - but he can't try it anywhere = because he heard they were nice amps somewhere?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Well thats pretty broad saying you're interested in Mesa because they make a pretty wide range of amps. The most popular ones are probably their rectifier series are basically all high gain amps. Then you have the Mark IV which is probably one of the most versatile amps around. Great cleans and awesome saturated distortion. Then there are the roadkings and the F-50's, etc. Overall their good quality but look into what kind of sound you want and then look at specific models.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Considering how expensive Mesas are, I wouldn't buy one without at least trying it out. Mesas are good amps, but you have to want the sound they give (though they are quite versatile, so it isn't like you have to want to play X genre to use one).

Take a look at the endorsement list, it may give you an idea as to which one works for you or if you want to go with another brand of amp. You also should check out what guitarists have tones you like and see what they use, if they use Mesa Boogies, then look more into that, but if they all use Marshalls or Peaveys or something else, you may want to look into that.
Well thats pretty broad saying you're interested in Mesa because they make a pretty wide range of amps. ... . Overall their good quality but look into what kind of sound you want and then look at specific models.

+1

Mesas aren't for everybody. I'm an "accidental" Mesa fan.

After trying out a bunch of tube amps, I tried a Mesa to compare. I loved the tone and portability of the Express (not their most popular amp) in comparison to the other amps I was considering, and kept coming back to it even though I thought I was interested in a different amplifier (I was settling on a Vox AC30 or a Traynor).

If you do like the sound from one of their amps, Mesa has a good reputation for customer support and relatively high build quality.