I play guitar and all and I want to become a great musician. I want to make great music. I don't care about becoming famous and bull**** like that. I want to make music I can be proud of. Music I can listen to and love. So what do I have to do? How do I develop a creative mind?
Well I try to listen to a lot of different kinds of music other then metal. Just to get ideas running. Is there anything else? I'll try drugs if I have too.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Don't take drugs. You may think you write good stuff when you're high, but if you record yourself and listen whilst sober, it will suck.

It's true. I speak from experience (then again, my drug days were all back when I was a total guitar n00b )

It all has to do with your attitude and your goals, IMO. If your goal is to play faster and more technical than everybody else, you aren't going to be a good musician. However, if you have some idiotic attitude where you piously follow some ideal that is limiting (ie, "don't learn to play fast, you'll just be a showoff" or "don't learn music theory, it'll steal your creativity"), you won't go far either. Don't be pretentious about anything. That's probably the best advice I can give, and it goes far beyond playing guitar and listening to music.

I'm not a great musician, but I like to think that my head is in the right place. My goals as a musician are to play and write as beautiful of music as I can, and to be able to perform it to the best of my ability, and by doing so, expressing myself. This isn't something I can just "get", it's ongoing. It comes from listening to many different types of music, playing different styles than I am used to, from attempting to write my own music, and from just thinking an awful lot about music in general.

It's probably all bullshit, but what do I care? It makes me happy.
Last edited by CowboyUp at Jan 27, 2008,
All good advice so far... Never take drugs, youll get crazy things coming when you do it, but theory knowledge will allow you to write emotional music much better, and doesnt have the downside of ****ing over your mind.

Also, dont aim to "be a great musician"....Play guitar because you enjoy, strive to get better, but make sure you enjoy the journey there...
Abandon your ego. Music has no use for it.

I'm not sure exactly what people ever mean when they say "drugs" but it's a vague term.

Feel free to research various substances on erowid and make your own choices about your life.
to me MUSIC is the answer ..............

like all said make a Variety of Listening Try other styles that Metal ........... maybe u can go with Rock/Pop ..................... its good i'd say for inspiration ....... Like AVRIL LAVINGE stuff can be useful

And always Give the music u make SOUL & ENERGY ............. these are important things in Music ..........
FANTASY , EVERYBODY HAS ONE
I've tried listening a lot to other music, and studying theory and all that mental stuff where the guitar isn't in my hands, but the only thing that really helps is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. I've reached a lull in practicing making me better, but back when I started my practices with exercises and went for a few hours straight in a day, I improved a lot every single day. I'd say start with a piece that's well beyond your current abilities, and learn it slowly and with a metronome. Then, after you know a few tough pieces, study theory and junk, it's really exciting stuff.
express how passionate you are about what you are doing in your music. if you have decent technique and play passionately, people will recognize it.

'tis life
Listen to music. Replicate it on your guitar/what not. Change it a bit.

Thats how all music is formed, go for it.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Don't take drugs. You may think you write good stuff when you're high, but if you record yourself and listen whilst sober, it will suck.

not exactly true, i know a guy who writes his best when he's high (not promoting drugs, just saying) this guys really effin' good
Gear:

Guitars:
ESP ltd FX-400
Epiphone les paul jr.

Amps:
Line 6 spider II combo 30 watt
Krank Rev. Jr. full stack tube.
Quote by giantsfanftw
For the guys saying practice

Well what exactly do I practice?

1). Exercises like 4 finger chromatic scale, finger stretches, arpeggios, scales,
chords.
2). Songwriting Singing (Maybe)

3). Your favorite songs and the songs that make you wanna just cry for a good song.
4). Techniques, chops, Improv Reading music Different styles Theory & Composition

5).Most Important Of all EAR TRAINING.
Listen to lots and lots and lots and lots of music.

Be honest (this ties in with lack of ego and pretention)

Don't listen to people who tell you not to do drugs.

Don't listen to people who do tell you to do drugs - do them if you want. I advise you do. But don't listen to me. Go read www.erowid.com (and other such sites) and make up your own mind.

Definitely play your favourite songs, stuff you have passion for (but don't get stuck doing them - listen to lots and lots and lots of new music).
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
So basically the key here is to practice, listen to tons of music, and keep a open mind about pretty much everything?

I was already doing this stuff so am I on the right track?
It depends on what you determine as great. There in lies your first step.

Determine what you think is great.

Practice your music at all moments of the day, even if it is just the smallest thing that other people will think have no effect.

Don't let anyone downplay you. Remember that we live in a world today where everyone is horrible and the only true people are artists and musicians. No one will ever support you at anything good and healthy. Follow your heart and soul, don't let anyone else make decisions for you.

Vary your musical style. Listen to all sorts of music and take it in.

Drugs- you can do what you want as long as you don't let them get in the way with your playing music.

Just love life and everything around you and you will start to be comfortable in your own skin, then you'll be less judgmental of yourself and then you'll start writing more comfortably.

Surround yourself with positive things at all times.
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
How do I develop a creative mind?

"Iron rusts from disuse; stagnant water loses its purity and in cold weather becomes frozen; even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind." - Leonardo da Vinci

"Lesser artists borrow, great artists steal." - Igor Stravinsky

"Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." - Frederic Chopin
Literature, that is. As compelling as John Grisham is, devouring his paperbacks likely won't make you a better musician.

The arts are by nature more than connected; in my mind they are the same, separated only by media. By studying one you are studying the rest. Read. Paint. Sketch. Draw sounds.