i want a gibson cause i think epi are **** and i wanna send it back to musciansfriend. Which is the 2nd one i have done. So i wanna get a new brand.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Try a Hagstrom Super Swede? not a Gibson, but one of the best values in that price range for a Les Paul-style guitar.

Aside from that, well, you're not too far off from a LP Studio or something. Also, I've seen, I think, Les Paul Specials (flat top) in pawn shops for about your price range....
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
try the gibson les paul studio vintage mahagony
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Quote by kckyle
if you think epi is shyt thn why did u buy it in the first place?

it plays nice they just cant make it right i guess i dunno. I guess u cant tell if somthing is **** unless u try it urself

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
try the gibson les paul studio vintage mahagony

thats what i want bad its convinsing my gf to get it for me . You think its well made guitar?

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
or you can try a ESP EC-1000. almost looks the

same

thats a hot guitar how does it compare to quality of a gibby?

Basically what i want is a nice warm soul sound and nice cleans.

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by silly6-string
thats a hot guitar how does it compare to quality of a gibby?

Basically what i want is a nice warm soul sound and nice cleans.

There's no other cheaper gibson than the Studio mahogany. Unless you want the melody maker. o_O Epiphones sound amazing in my opinion. Maybe you just made it sound horrible. >_< That's what happened to me when I used my friend's amp. xD

Oh come on, not even considering the Swede?

But the above poster makes a good point. what amp are you using?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by timsterII
There's no other cheaper gibson than the Studio mahogany. Unless you want the melody maker. o_O Epiphones sound amazing in my opinion. Maybe you just made it sound horrible. >_< That's what happened to me when I used my friend's amp. xD

i play it how its supposed to played. I said its not the playing its the stupid stuff like the bubbled paint on the head stock. They just dont make them good. The paint is cheap. Plus im getting taxes back and i want a better guitar. Why stay with a epi when u can get a gibson and not buy another guitar.

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by Wulver

dont laugh ...................

a crate gt212. Mabey i should buy a new amp instead of a new guitar

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Get an Epiphone Elitist.

I have played a couple Epiphone Les Pauls, and some are nice, and others aren't. You just have to hand pick one, just like MIM strats.
High as tits
see i got a b stock first and stuff was wrong with it. So they musicians friend sent me a new one brand new for the price of a b stock, But it sounds different. may be i just haven't played it enough. Say the rythem pick up and when i put it in the middle sound exactly the same. No different. When i put the pick up switch to the lead it sounds different like a higher pitch. Also eventually im gonna want a gibson i just fig get it now while i can.
or i ll get a new amp one or the other. id like a nice tube amp. And eventually just put better pickups in the epi i got already

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by Wulver

that is quite possible the UGLIEST les paul ive ever seen since the epi specials...holy crap...

+2 to esp ltd ec 1000, and +1 to new amp idea
The tone knob for the bridge pickup might be low making it sound like the neck? It could just be the amp because its hard to tell different sounds from it anyway.

What kind of music do you play? I might be able to recommend an amp and some pickups.
The Gibson Studio/Faded/Vintage Mahogany series of guitars are horrible, horrible guitars. Don't waste your money on them.

There are good Epiphones out there; you just have to play enough in stores to hunt out one of the rare good ones. If you've not got the money to buy a Gibson Standard or Classic (the lowest Gibson you should ever bother with), then hunting out one of the rare good Epis and upgrading it is often a good way to go.
Failing that, Epiphone Elitists. They're better than any production Gibson - period. They don't suffer from Epi's usual quality control issues either. The downside is in some countries they can be very hard to get hold of.

Or after those, you've got:
- Tokai. Good all-round LP copies.
- Vintage. Good copies, more orientated for blues playing.
- ESP and LTD. Good copies, more orientated for metal.
- Edwards. Another good all-round copy. n my experience though, Tokai are a bit better.
- Agile. People here have a hard-on for them, but personally I think they're crap. But hey, check them out and see...
- Michael Kelly. Again, I think they're utterly awful myself, but some others really love them. Worth looking into at least.

Generally, my picks are:
Gibson Custom Shop > Epiphone Elitist > Gibson production mid and high range > Epiphone production mid and high range, modified > unmodded Epiphone production high range > Vintage > Tokai > ESP > ESP/LTD higher range **guitars after this are never worth buying** > Gibson production low range and unmodded Epiphone production mid range > LTD mid and lower range > Epiphone production low range.
Quote by gnr_axeman74
that is quite possible the UGLIEST les paul ive ever seen since the epi specials...holy crap...

That's not the best of pictures, honestly.

Neither is the one below, but it shows off the maple on the body better.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Wulver
Try a Hagstrom Super Swede? not a Gibson, but one of the best values in that price range for a Les Paul-style guitar.

Aside from that, well, you're not too far off from a LP Studio or something. Also, I've seen, I think, Les Paul Specials (flat top) in pawn shops for about your price range....

I really would love a Super Swede. Other than my '79 Global, a Super Swede is the only LP-style guitar I'd care to own.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
The tone knob for the bridge pickup might be low making it sound like the neck? It could just be the amp because its hard to tell different sounds from it anyway.

What kind of music do you play? I might be able to recommend an amp and some pickups.

classic , to heavy. I should get with u since we got the same guitar

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by acdcrocks0323

classic , to heavy. I should get with u since we got the same guitar actually we have the same exact guitar :P

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by silly6-string
Why stay with a epi when u can get a gibson and not buy another guitar.

Because high end epi's are better than low end gibsons. I would much rather have my epi lp custom over the vintage mahogany and some of the studios. It just sounds better. a little more and you could get a epi elitist, which is much better that a studio or any of the lower end gibsons. or you could go with another brand...
Just do yourself a favor and get a Michael Kelly Patriot.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by gnr_axeman74

It's the image which is bad. You haven't seen one live yet.
Here's one better image. Hagstrom finishes >>> Epi

I love the Super Swede becuz it a Les Paul with 25 1/2 neck length. The Swede is 24 3/4, though...
Quote by hminh87
It's the image which is bad. You haven't seen one live yet.
Here's one better image. Hagstrom finishes >>> Epi

I love the Super Swede becuz it a Les Paul with 25 1/2 neck length. The Swede is 24 3/4, though...

Sorry for the newb question... but I'm looking for my first electric, and I'm in love with the Hagstrom line. I'm down to either the Swede or Super Swede, but I don't know the practical difference between the two. What's so good about a 25 1/2" scale length? What difference will it make to the sound or types of music it will play?

--- D
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
or you can try a ESP EC-1000. almost looks the same

this
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Well, 25 1/2 is the same scale length that Fender uses, so it's likely to feel somewhat more Fender than Gibson, if that makes sense.

Also, as far as I can tell, the major differences between the Swede and the Super Swede are, aside from the scale length:

--Super Swede has a coil tap, Swede has this sort of "tone switch" which I'm not entirely sure of its function
--Swede lacks the flame maple top of the Super Swede

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Wulver
Well, 25 1/2 is the same scale length that Fender uses, so it's likely to feel somewhat more Fender than Gibson, if that makes sense.

Also, as far as I can tell, the major differences between the Swede and the Super Swede are, aside from the scale length:

--Super Swede has a coil tap, Swede has this sort of "tone switch" which I'm not entirely sure of its function
--Swede lacks the flame maple top of the Super Swede

Wulver, you seem to know a lot about the Hagstroms. Do you know if the Super Swede is available in a left-handed version?

Also, the switch on the Swede is called a "tone filter", but I have no idea what that is. I'd love to know from someone who has one, what it actually does.

--- D
Quote by mcrfobtai
Because high end epi's are better than low end gibsons. I would much rather have my epi lp custom over the vintage mahogany and some of the studios. It just sounds better. a little more and you could get a epi elitist, which is much better that a studio or any of the lower end gibsons. or you could go with another brand...

That is very true. I've played the $600 Gibson Flying Vs and SGs, and the LP Vintage Mahogany and they are ****.

I have a 1979 Epiphone Genesis Custom that is far better than today's low-end Gibsons.

Now if you can shell out $2000+ and get a REAL Gibson, then no damn Epi can ever touch them.
Quote by Duster
Wulver, you seem to know a lot about the Hagstroms. Do you know if the Super Swede is available in a left-handed version?

Also, the switch on the Swede is called a "tone filter", but I have no idea what that is. I'd love to know from someone who has one, what it actually does.

--- D

According to Musiciansfriend, there's a left-hand version of the Swede. There's likely a left-handed version of the Super Swede as well, but you'll apparently have to look harder for it. There's tons of new Hagstroms floating around on eBay, you may want to check there.

And, from what I hear about the tone filter, it seems to operate almost like a wah pedal. treble and bass boost and such. Don't take my word on that, though.

You also may consider the Deluxe F? Has the most beautiful flame maple top I've ever seen on a guitar, the pics don't even come close to doing it justice: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hagstrom-Deluxe-F-Electric-Guitar?sku=513345

This is gonna be the one I get, if I get one.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Last edited by Wulver at Jan 30, 2008,
I am very happy with my Gibson Vintage Mahogany but some people may not. IMO, buying a guitar is a "personal" decision and should be made ONLY after you try one through your own amps. Also depends on the type of music you play.

The right guitar is the one that feels good to you, sounds good to you and inspires you to play your best - just like a woman.
New '07 Gibson Les Paul Vintage Studio
'99 Fender Am Std Strat
'92 Fender SRV Strat
'84 Fender Am Std Strat

AMPS:
New Palomino V32
'67 Fender Bassman
'70's Fender Bandmaster head
'70's Fender Bandmaster custom combo