hey im new here and i need help selecting my next guitar. I started out with a piece of crap crate guitar/amp package about 2 christmas's ago and i just traded it about a month ago for a takamine s-35 acoustic, which isn't that bad but im not satisfied with it. My price range is $200-$300 and I need a rock sound style guitar. I'm thinking about getting an Ibanez ART100 but i'm not sure. If anyone has any ideas please help!
So, I'm going to guess you play rock music. You could get a ibanez, but I have no idea which one. If you were going for at least 400-500, I'd totally recommend Epi Les Paul standard.
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Last edited by icon_player_5 at Jan 27, 2008,
well, first off, do you still have your starter amp? If you're getting electric, you're going to need an amp (unless you get a semi-hollow or something)....

If not, uh, if you were to go about splitting your funds between guitar and amp, you really couldn't get much. Unless you were to go with a mini-amp, like the Danelectro Honeytone or the Marshall microstack or one of the models Fender makes.

As for a guitar, with the budget you gave, there's a few options. There's some Hagstrom guitars in that price range that you might want to check out, as well as some Epiphones, Squires, and some Ibanez-es. Possibly a used Fender MIM Tele or Strat.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by sacamano79

Edge III tremolo Bridge

i've heard epiphones under $400 tend to be hunks of crap and i dont have an amp but i have a computer with a kickass sound card w/ guitar fx on it with my 6 stereo speakers hooked up to it so im good on an amp until i can build up enough money to buy a really nice one so i don't waste more money than needed.

Edit: i found a used mim strat on craigslist but i'm not so sure about buying it bc it says it has a floyd rose *LIKE* bridge and i havnt heard good things about them
^you're floyd rose like bridge is most likely a generic Fender bridge for Strats. they don't use LFR or OFR bridges, theirs aren't double locking. I've never heard a bad thing about a Fender Trem, though I've never heard a good thing either, I think it's given that as long as you don't beat the hell out of it, it will hold up pretty well (just judging by the amount of times i see Strats recommended knowing this is the bridge for most of them). I'd ask the seller if it's the original bridge, if he says yes you should be fine. if not then be wary.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
woah dude, u traded in your first guitar? you're meant 2 keep your first axe and cherish it no matter how **** it was
save up more money, buy a hagstrom swede b-stock on ebay for 350. it's got a minor finish blemish, but same tone as all other hagstroms-AWESOME GUITAR!
1966 Epiphone G-400. Best thing I have ever bought, guitar wise. Better quality than the Faded Gibson SG... Better tuners, hardware and wiring according to a GC employee. You know he's telling the truth when he wants you to buy something cheaper.
You can get a Dean Vendetta. Good For Playing Rock And Cheap Too! $100-$200 Dollars.
Guitar Center Has Them. I Know, I Work There
You could get something with a pup switch that can kill the sound of a pickup so you can play some Buckethead songs.

No seriously, you should save up a little bit more ($500?) and get something that will last for a while. You could probably get a decent epiphone for that.
I agree, if you are going to get a new guitar, I wouldnt suggest getting anything below atleast like $400, but you can always buy used.... just be sure to look it over good. If you dont know how to, theres a couple good things you can read about in stickies around here or maybe a good friend could go with you.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
Quote by IRV
You can get a Dean Vendetta. Good For Playing Rock And Cheap Too! $100-$200 Dollars.
Guitar Center Has Them. I Know, I Work There

Yeah, I roll with one of those. Great guitar.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Vendetta-XM-Electric-Guitar-103933354-i1147572.gc
They're on uber-sale because they're 07 models, but rock/metal it's the cheap way to go. sounds good. just no tremolo, only thing i don't like. but for what you're saying this is a good way to go...
Quote by keavader
Yeah, I roll with one of those. Great guitar.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Vendetta-XM-Electric-Guitar-103933354-i1147572.gc
They're on uber-sale because they're 07 models, but rock/metal it's the cheap way to go. sounds good. just no tremolo, only thing i don't like. but for what you're saying this is a good way to go...

i went to gc.com and it was 199.99 and it was rated 5, seems like everything there is rated 5 . i went over to musiciansfriend.com and its 99.99...rated 4 and people said it was a cheap starter guitar.
Use Harmony-Central.com for your reviews. They're not trying to actually sell you the instruments, so their reviews tend not to be biased.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Do you guys think i should buy from guitar center used gear or has any1 had bad experiences with it?
don't see why it'd be much different than buying through them normally.

It would help to check your local store's used stuff first, since you can actually get your hands on the gear and try it out, though.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay