Okay, like most of us who listen to shred, we all know that G3 jams are some of the greatest sounding songs capable of being produced by humans. (youtube any of the ones from 2005 live in tokyo)
But I've always wondered whether they just improvise each jam (the solo parts of course) because the two guitarists who aren't playing are usually looking at the fretboard of the guy who is playing (maybe to find out what scale the guy's playing). Or have they rehearsed the song over and over and know what exactly to play so while they perform they can add a few notes here and there that weren't previously in the song?
i say they improvise on rehearsal, and kinda talk it over and stuff

then on the night sorta play something similar, then when it feels right they'll improvise

so my opinion, both
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I think they obviously rehearse most of their licks. I highly doubt they're capable of knowing exactly all the notes, scales, and modes that they're using by memory. they just kinda select what to play when thay're on stage.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
i'm sure they just improvise like any other jam. i mean, if it's a jam in a minor, then you just play in a minor...

plus some of steve vai's licks would be pretty pathetic if he seriously practiced them and then deliberately put them in because some of them really don't fit in smoke on the water.
they sound improvised in some parts for sure...some parts are amazing..but I mean they are the guitar gods for damn sake lol.
Im pretty sure they improvise the whole thing. Even if they had practiced some certain licks to throw in it is still improvising. The only thing they probably go over beforehand is the form and who goes first and whatnot.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by bean-o
Im pretty sure they improvise the whole thing. Even if they had practiced some certain licks to throw in it is still improvising. The only thing they probably go over beforehand is the form and who goes first and whatnot.

thats what i reckon as well
They improvise everything, but they practice the jam over and over, in order to make everything sound seamless. I have the G3 Live in Tokyo DVD, and in the 'Soundcheck' part of the DVD you can see them practicing the jams. Satch, Vai and Petrucci each show their improvisations to the other two, so that they know when they have to come in with their part (hope this doesn't sound to confusing).
Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results
^Not at all. That was what I was thinking.

Like it's hard to just improvise when you jam, you need some order (like say, first we play verse then person A plays a solo, then chorus then B plays solo), like you need some order when your going to play ceratin things.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I would say that it's improvised, there is always some space between each guitarists solos.

You also gotta think, the songs they choose are very simple, maybe 3-4 main chords, there are a ton of scales that can go along seemlessly.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
You know, Improvising isn't really random making up stuff as you go like most people think, you always have a theme/feeling to go after and you use licks you already know.
Quote by Gabel
^Not at all. That was what I was thinking.

Like it's hard to just improvise when you jam, you need some order (like say, first we play verse then person A plays a solo, then chorus then B plays solo), like you need some order when your going to play ceratin things.

That's what I think too.

Improvised solos, but a pre-determined song structure.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Both, the actual notes will be improvised, but the ideas and structure behind it will be rehearsed e.g. the next player will know when to come in when so and so plays a certain riff, or they all know when to go to the next song or so when some one plays a certain run etc etc

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by iloevguitar
You know, Improvising isn't really random making up stuff as you go like most people think, you always have a theme/feeling to go after and you use licks you already know.

I dont.
Quote by Tallman
I dont.

You mean to tell me you always play licks that you've never played before?

Every guitarist has a library of things to play. It's not to say that licks are never made up on the spot, but it's a far stretch to say that everything is always completely new and spontaneous.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you