well, after being interested for about 2 years, I finally am pulling through. I'm only 13, turning 14 in a week, and will be getting a Gibson SG-3. I'm quite excited and plan on playing every day, 2-3 hours. Question is, is it a little late in my life to start this, or can I pick this up semi-easily and become very good by the time I'm 16? I know little to nothing about guitars, but my friend who has played since he was 8 has offered to help. I also plan on taking lessons after learning the basics.
13 isn't late at all. Joe Satriani started when he was 15, and look at him now. I started at 14, and I've come quite a long way from my early days of plunking out Smoke On The Water.

If you really enjoy playing and practice a lot (and properly), you'll be playing like a pro in just a few years time.

However, I don't see why you'd buy such an expensive guitar before you even know if you'll like playing. What amplifier did you get with it?
practice hard you'll be fine, just dont practice bad methods that will screw up your playing in the future, and don't get pissed off and quit
Quote by imnotcommunist
lets make an emo song!!
first play same 2 power chords over and over
have a breakdown every 10 seconds
cry and whimper
dont forget the hair over one eye
and the depressing lyrics on how your teddy bear died!
are you sure you want to get a gibson as your first guitar?

aside from that, I'm turning 23 in march and I started playing 2.5 years ago, playing electric for the last year. I've played very frequently, and am half decent enough to have recorded some songs and can hold my own in a jam, be it rhythm or improvisation. The only reason I say this is to show you that you have absolutely NOTHING to worry about, if I can learn the guitar while earning my university degree, you'll be laughing by the time you are my age.

I wish that I had started as young as you. trust me, you have nothing to worry about at all. Just relax, learn at your own pace, and everything takes practice, and lots and lots of it. sometimes you'll get frustrated and want to stop playing altogether but you have to be disciplined and persevere.

good luck!
Quote by CowboyUp
13 isn't late at all. Joe Satriani started when he was 15, and look at him now. I started at 14, and I've come quite a long way from my early days of plunking out Smoke On The Water.

If you really enjoy playing and practice a lot (and properly), you'll be playing like a pro in just a few years time.

However, I don't see why you'd buy such an expensive guitar before you even know if you'll like playing. What amplifier did you get with it?

The reason for such an expensive guitar honestly comes from my parents. They are big Grateful Dead fans, and they loved Jerry Garcia's Gibson, which looks exactley like the one I'm planning on getting. The amp, I'm not sure yet. When we go to the nearest guitar center I'm going to seek advice as to what amp is a good fit for the type of guitar I will be playing.
since you have a vested interest i would tell you to stary with like a 30 watt or maybe more. dont get a 15 watt amp coz they sound crappy and later inlife it wont help you.
good luck and practice hard. dont give up whatever you do
If your parents are spending all this money on you, see if you can't get them to get you a descent tube combo.
pete murray started at 20 something ... yer hes not relay good at guitar (actually hes **** ) but hes making a living off it..... and hes pulling in the ladies left right and center
 [color="Navy"]_____         _____ _          _ _____   _     [/COLOR] 
[color="Blue"]|  _  |_ _ ___|   __|_|___    _| |  |  |_| |___ [/COLOR] 
[color="RoyalBlue"]|     | | |_ -|__   | | -_|  | . |  |  | . | -_|[/COLOR]
[color="Cyan"]|__|__|___|___|_____|_|___|  |___|_____|___|___|[/COLOR]

that is the sex
Quote by ebozek14
The reason for such an expensive guitar honestly comes from my parents. They are big Grateful Dead fans, and they loved Jerry Garcia's Gibson, which looks exactley like the one I'm planning on getting. The amp, I'm not sure yet. When we go to the nearest guitar center I'm going to seek advice as to what amp is a good fit for the type of guitar I will be playing.

LOL.

They'd probably love my guitars then.

This one's a replica of Garcia's Tiger:

This one is very close to "Wolf". Probably pretty close to what Jerry played
since this is an Alembic and Doug Irwin (the guy that built his guitars) was
an Alembic builder.

nice ^^^
 [color="Navy"]_____         _____ _          _ _____   _     [/COLOR] 
[color="Blue"]|  _  |_ _ ___|   __|_|___    _| |  |  |_| |___ [/COLOR] 
[color="RoyalBlue"]|     | | |_ -|__   | | -_|  | . |  |  | . | -_|[/COLOR]
[color="Cyan"]|__|__|___|___|_____|_|___|  |___|_____|___|___|[/COLOR]

that is the sex
I really like that Jerry guitar!

And as for the amp, I'm planning on around 30 watts, really whatever sounds the best though...
Quote by edg
LOL.

They'd probably love my guitars then.

This one's a replica of Garcia's Tiger:

This one is very close to "Wolf". Probably pretty close to what Jerry played
since this is an Alembic and Doug Irwin (the guy that built his guitars) was
an Alembic builder.

edg, I had no idea you had so many great guitars.
I just started last month and I'm 28 man. The way I figure, is that by the time I'm in my mid-30s I should be decent. The thing is, I've been wanting to play since I was 17 or so and back then I thought it was too late, yet I kept on thinking about it and coming up w/ the same excuse (too old). Point being, you're DEFINITELY not too old to do anything in life right now. As corny as it sounds, the sky really is the limit so get at it; don't forget school though!
The main thing that I suggest you do if you really want to become good at guitar is to learn theory. There are way too many people who are huge fans of megadeth or metallica and just work for months to get to the point where they can play their songs, but they don't know any way to describe what they are playing, or what key they are in (no offense to anyone who likes those bands, it's just that they have cool guitar parts that are really appealing to learn)
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by seedmole
The main thing that I suggest you do if you really want to become good at guitar is to learn theory. There are way too many people who are huge fans of megadeth or metallica and just work for months to get to the point where they can play their songs, but they don't know any way to describe what they are playing, or what key they are in (no offense to anyone who likes those bands, it's just that they have cool guitar parts that are really appealing to learn)

Extremely well put. When I started I came from the snobbish blues purist camp thinking that theory would inhibit my "feeling". I started taking theory in school and it has opened me up to all new ideas and I am much more creative. By understanding music theory not only will you play better, but you'll know what your doing....plus you'll get respect from people who have been playing longer than you.