Does anyone in here play the violin?
I taught myself guitar, played for over 4 years now, and am thinking about expanding. How hard is it to teach yourself the violin. I dont want to be an expert or something I just like the instrument but some stuff you can't really teach yourself so well.
So, do you think its possible, should I pick one up and start playing(when no ones home lol)?
I dont actually play violin myself, but my sister does, and she is done her gr.10 in it, and has tried to show me how to play a few simple things. Violin, being around longer than a guitar, is pretty much set-in-stone, for how you play it. Correct posture is crucial, and very tiring to try and get when beginning. Also vibrato requires you to vibrate the last joint of your finger in and out real fast, and is quite difficult to do. Bowing is very hard, and there are schools set up just to teach people how to bow. Other than these things, Im pretty sure the only other important things are theory knowledge (less is usually required than on guitar, as they dont play chords), and a very good ear.

I say try to learn, but dont try to teach yourself.
i've been wanting to get a viola myself...there aren't a lot of places online that teach for free, which is one of the reasons i haven't gotten one yet. i doubt it's that hard though

i just don't want to happen like what happened with guitar for me, were i had it for like 3 years without knowing how to play it...& that was with plenty of online resources
It's far more difficult to get a decent sound out of than a guitar. Without a live teacher you will learn many, many bad habits.
The mandolin is tuned like a violin and you can transpose violin pieces onto it, and its much more like a guitar to play.

The hard thing about instruments like violin (brass and piano also fit into this category) is that without the right technique you're doomed from the start. If you're serious about learning the instrument then get a teacher, even if its just for a lesson every few weeks so he/she can iron you're mistakes out.
The violin is one of the hardest instruments to play in my opinion. Imagine a fretless guitar - stick it under your chin so you can't see what you're doing properly - add a long piece of wood to stroke the strings with - drop 2 strings and change to an unfamiliar tuning - one violin.

It also takes a long time to get a good tone from a violin, very good players will time their bowing with the vibration of the string and you need to get your intonation spot on.

With such a hard instrument I think it's essential you at least start with a teacher.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
The violin is an amazing, beautiful, insanely sexy instrument that can cover classical to jazz to death metal.

IF you can play it well. It takes forevveerrr to learn to make a decent sound out of a violin; I could not tell you how long it took me to learn violin.

Get a good teacher, and don't get a pussy teacher who is always really complimentary and never says anything bad. If you can take the criticism, the discipline will help.

---I know I'm exaggerating, but seriously, it's hard---

I can help you out if you're serious about violin. Electric violin, fretted violins, five, six, seven-stringed violins, violins with guitar tunings (if you're a lead player and know the fretboard, I imagine that would help); the possibilities are endless. I've always thought it would be neat to have a violinist in a rock/metal band. Best of luck, man! If you have patience and dedication you can make it.
well what im hearing is pretty much what i expected. how hard is it to work with a bow?
and i believe what everyone says about picking up really bad habits thats what i want to avoid. is it possible to avoid bad violin habits or is it something that only a teacher would notice and i wouldnt notice myself doing them?

things that were mentioned like not being able to see and different tunings aren't so much a problem for me. I can play without looking semi-good and i play around with weird tunings all the time so its not completely unfamiliar territory.
Quote by russiaininvader
well what im hearing is pretty much what i expected. how hard is it to work with a bow?
and i believe what everyone says about picking up really bad habits thats what i want to avoid. is it possible to avoid bad violin habits or is it something that only a teacher would notice and i wouldnt notice myself doing them?

things that were mentioned like not being able to see and different tunings aren't so much a problem for me. I can play without looking semi-good and i play around with weird tunings all the time so its not completely unfamiliar territory.

Some techniques, like how you hold your bow, and what angle it hits the strings, and the angle your fingers hit the strings, etc... are not obvious to a person teaching themself, but a teacher would definitely pickup on them. Many things feel like they would be a good way to do it, but it actually is harmful in the long run.
get a teacher, its the best way to go.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Quote by russiaininvader

Actually, yeah, when you have the basics and techniques nailed down, you can usually do without the teacher. In fact I'm quitting private lessons now, you just have to be careful all of the time. Intonation, bow technique, posture and all that crap is pretty annoying to have to check every time you play. Use a mirror (sounds cheesy, but it works) and record yourself playing. It helps a lot.

Also, I'd check up on electric violins (fretted ones) if I were going into this long-term, and if I was going to use violin in other kinds of music. I have never played a fretted violin before, but I imagine it would cut down a lot of intonation problems.
I'm in the same boat as you ts

Just bought a violin today and am determined to learn at least how to play it reasonably. I am not wanting to play it as my primary instrument, accoustic and electric guitar are my instruments, but I mainly want to use it to as and extra dimension to my music, for a change of mood. Main influence for reasoning like this is Akira Yamaoka's music, creates such amazing moods with his music. I'm sure it will take me years to get good and violin like guitar, and after hearing of the difficulty I am preparing myself for the worst haha. Some people think that because they are good at guitar that they will be good at violin but I know that it will be like starting over again (and if I remember correctly that was a bitch learing guitar from scratch)
I played violin for 3 years in middle school (and was ranked 2nd in the state in 2003). I still play every now and then, but I'm certainly not as good as I used to be.

It depends on your work ethic, and also natural ability. If you can pick it up naturally, hell that's great, but you also have to be willing to work a lot on your technique. Make sure your hand keeps as little contact as possible with the neck.
hai guize join mah gr00pz plz kthx:

Quote by DeathDealer
i doubt it's that hard though

Wrong.

The learning curve is pretty ridiculous when it comes to these stringed instruments, and if you try to take any short cuts, you'll probably wind up paying for it in the long run. As has been said before, posture is crucial, unless you want repetitive strain injuries.

It's difficult to play a violin well, even to produce a good sound playing something simple; it's not something you can just fool around with every now and again and expect to play even decently.

Don't try to teach it to yourself, get a teacher.

--Red
"My idea is that there is music in the air, music all around us; the world is full of it, and you simply take as much as you require." - Edward Elgar
I play violin, and if you're trying to pick it up and add it to your music, I hope you don't have anywhere to go for a couple years. I took orchestra class in middle school for three years before it was good enough to listen to, and I was way ahead of everyone else. Now that I'm a senior in highschool, I'm confident in my playing abillity. You may be able to LEARN the violin in about a year, but it takes forever to PLAY it. The tone that people normally associate with a violin takes many years of hard work. And intonation is ALWAYS a problem. You can't let your guard down for a second cause you'll end up out of tune.

I don't mean to scare you away from the instrument, but I'd rather have that then you get stuck with something you're not prepared for.
Quote by Red.Washburn77
Wrong.

The learning curve is pretty ridiculous when it comes to these stringed instruments, and if you try to take any short cuts, you'll probably wind up paying for it in the long run.

meh, most of the american fiddlers had no formal training
they also usually played many instruments, which were also learned pretty much on their own
Quote by DeathDealer
meh, most of the american fiddlers had no formal training
they also usually played many instruments, which were also learned pretty much on their own

listen to the guy from The Band who played violin. everything i've heard of his playing has pretty much sucked and i think he was self-taught. i mean, it's OK for a rock band but anything past that wouldn't work. as a violin player i say take lessons!
member of The Yes Club
member of the Ten Years After Club
member of the Allman Brothers Club
member of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club
PM deadhead313313

member of the Queen Fanclub!
PM Hanzi_G
Quote by hippyguitardude
listen to the guy from The Band who played violin. everything i've heard of his playing has pretty much sucked and i think he was self-taught. i mean, it's OK for a rock band but anything past that wouldn't work. as a violin player i say take lessons!

as if there aren't people who take classical training & suck also
That's a pretty useless point to argue^

It is possible to self-teach violin. Just far more difficult and far more precarious, habit wise, than to self-teach guitar.

You seem bent on trying it. If you are, don't tell people they're wrong because their advice conflicts with your wants. Take the advice, make your choice.
im not one of those people that only listens to the advice that they want to hear i hope thats not what your implying i dont think i came across like that at all...

thanks for the input from everyone else though i think i will hold off until school lets out in april when i have time to take lessons, eat least to start.
Sorry for some reason I thought DeathDealer was the topicstarter

My comments were not aimed at you
Quote by Nick_

It is possible to self-teach violin. Just far more difficult and far more precarious, habit wise, than to self-teach guitar.

that's debatable...unless playing guitar to you means power chords & little 3 note per string runs

if anything i would say guitar is far more difficult if you were to try and achieve the same level of expertise & technicality that would be expected of a solo violinist
Without reaching that level on both instruments no one can really say

But I'd argue that the violin, like the french horn and oboe, present more difficulties and obstacles to the performer.

Mastery is mastery, however, and the time and price is constant for anything.
I have many friends that play violin, and some that play both. The ones that play both say that violin is by far the more difficult instrument.
Quote by ouchies
I have many friends that play violin, and some that play both. The ones that play both say that violin is by far the more difficult instrument.

the question here is how well do they know their guitar
anybody can strum a few chords & say they play guitar
Quote by DeathDealer
the question here is how well do they know their guitar
anybody can strum a few chords & say they play guitar

Well they are all multiple instrumentalists and know many many instruments. Well, learning the basics of guitar are more then enough to jam with friends around a camp fire or something. Learning the basics on violin is much different because you have to worry about intonation and memorizing where notes are.
it's hard for sure, but i find it far more rewarding too in the long run, i play violin more than guitar now

I'm completely self-taught, though i've read much, and also play cello (which i would also recommend, it's easier than violin for someone who started on guitar)

it is hard to get all the positions down, i hope you have a good ear, however i don't think you need a teacher, i started out knowing nothing with bad habits all over the place, and those that needed fixing were fixed with time if you know what you're doing to some degree

and as a warm-up i'd try finding or making a fretless guitar, it'll work your ear very quickly without much effort

bowing is hard to learn too, but that will come with practice as well

violinmasterclass.com has good stuff on it
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?