Alright well me and a few buddies get together a lot and play, but the truth is im horrible at any kind of rhythm making, or making up solo's.

I understand playing in the right key, and staying in that key... but I just cant get stuff to ever sound very good or something that you could lay a solo ontop of.

So anyone got any suggestion on ways to practice making some rhythm progression and what not. Ive heard about modes and stuff, but I really dont know to much about em.

But any kind of suggestions or things to read up on to help would be great
*EDIT*
and I just realized I spelld rhythm wrong in the subject, haha my bad
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Last edited by ICANSEEYOU7687 at Jan 28, 2008,
try learing some jazz stuff....
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
pick three or four chords that sound decent together and repeat them. then pick a few different ones in the same key, some of them can even be the same chords, and repeat those for a different part. then solo in the same key on top of that.

that's the simple way to do it, there are different, more interesting ways to write songs.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Use a drum machine and muck around on the guitar, you will have 100 rhythms in no time
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
Listen to the rhythms of music that you like and build off of that. Or take a very basic rhythm, and keep adding small things to change it up a bit. You could do this by changing the rhythm of the notes (like from half to quarter, or eighth, etc.), or by adding fills and runs. Just some sort of ideas for you.
Member Of Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
change time signatures every bar like meshuggah and august burns red. that'll be pretty interesting
When I write rhythym and lead on guitar and bass I do just what that one guy said and screw around 'til i find something i like
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
You just gotta really sit there and stay focused. Eventually you will find something. Never stop trying. That's all that counts. Love that guitar.
The times they are a changin'.....