I play metal and have a budget less than $300. I just play in my room as Im a beginner so I dont need it to be loud. I just want it to sound good and have very nice distortion and gain if possible. I play a Ibanez RG2ex1 and have afew pedals, Boss DS-1, Bad Monkey and MXR 6 band. Any suggestions will help me out alot thanks.

Peavey Valve King Royal 8
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-Royal-8-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481661

Peavey Bandit 112
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Bandit-112-Guitar-Amplifier-with-TransTube-Technology?sku=481332
Your on the right track with the tube amp but try this with ur pedals it should reach metal just fine http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH5H-and-BH112-Half-Stack?sku=483078
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
I just bought the bandit 112 last week. In my opinion the thing sounds GREAT. Especially the clean channel. It has 3 different settings for each channel and the high gain distortion setting has a pretty nice chunky metal sound and it gets LOUD. For the money its a fantastic amp.

My advice is to see if you can find a place that sells it and give it a shot. It definitely wont disappoint you. But you may find something else that suits your ears. Everyone is different.
Of those, get the Royal 8 and use your OD pedal to squeeze some more gain out of it if it won't get heavy enough.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
The Royal 8 is going to have better tone than the Bandit. Also look at the Palomino V8.

Are you, by chance, a Tennessee Titans fan?

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Yeah Im really leaning towards the tube amp. Ive been looking at some others like the Blackheart little giant 5 watt,Palomino V8,Crate V Series V5, Id really like to hear some sound of them with OD or Distortion on them. Does anyone have something like that or anymore suggestions on those amps? Go Titans thanks
The bandit is probably the best SS amp i've ever tried, the royal 8 is tube, but sounds pretty shrill to me :P
Quote by Titans36
Go Titans thanks

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Don't get the royal 8 for metal!!!! I own one and it's only 5 watts and the speaker is 8 inches! You're thinking..but i want good tone..doesn't have to be loud!

For metal tone you def need some speaker pushing air..you can hook up all the pedals in the world but if you're not pushing air...it's gonna sound so weak.

I also got the bandit and it's freaking fantastic!!
The bandit is a steal at $350 for how amazing it sounds. If you ever get the chance to sit down and try it it will surprise you.
Both are good amps. The Royal 8 is voiced for pre-1980's classic rock and blues. Bandit is a killer solid state amp, but for me it has to be tubes (I have a pre-1984 Backstage Plus for a practice amp right now, very tube-like.) I'll probably buy a 5 watt tube combo just so I can drive the power tubes in my house (my 50 watt is too big for power tube distortion.)
Quote by littlec
The bandit is a steal at $350 for how amazing it sounds. If you ever get the chance to sit down and try it it will surprise you.

I'm not saying it's a bad amp, but at that price, you could get a used Peavey Classic 30, so i couldnt ever really find a use for the bandit.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86