so my search for a fuzz 2 weeks ago was kinda sidetracked by this week's bills and other purchases, including a DVD of Gilmour's Royal Albert Hall Concert.

this actually made searching for my fuzz a lot harder, since i figured that his sound, if i can make it a bit smoother, may work well for church, and is very nice for my own personal palette.

from looking at gilmourish, the other equipment like an electric mistress and a reverb can be easily had, and there are others i cant have (Cornish stuff), which leads me to his Ram's Head, and to my question.

ive been reading up and searching the forums, and found out that a Big Muff Reissue isnt really a good way to go.

D*A*M sounds great, but is WAY over the budget. im good to go to $180 to even $200.

so aside from Sweet Sound Pi Face and Skreddy's works, which other pedals may be able to recreate that type of sustain or that close to a ram's head sound?

also, how is the little big muff if im looking for this type of tone?
Jong

Strat, V847a, OCDv3, Carbon Copy, DD-5, Flying Dragon, EL84 amp
Dice Works Muff Diver- sold on ebay ($125 Buy It Now), clone of a Triangle Muff with a switch for Cornish inspired mods.
Sovtek Muff- those big green machines from the early 90s. They are usually reasonably priced on ebay (I got mine for $120), and sound much, much better then the reissues.
Barber Trifecta- Three different of fuzz/distortion in one (Triangle Muff-type, Suppa Bender, Jumbo Bender) for $150.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
^^I don't think a Tube Driver would be the ideal choice if he's looking for a pedal similar to a Ram's Head Muff. Plus they're way over his budget.
Quote by Thefallofman
i see. so a little big muff would be too muddy then?

il take a look at that Dice Works... although i dont think i wont be buying until mid-February, so i hope it will still be available.

any other suggestions?

also, im kinda confused, did he use his Cornish P-1 or G-2 on this concert? i was looking at gilmourish, and they said that he only used the P-1 till '77, but the gear guide said he still used his P-1.
Jong

^^I only played a Little Big Muff briefly, and thought it was an improvement over the NYC Reissue, but I still wasn't a big fan.

And Gilmourish says David had both the P-1 and G-2 on his board for the On An Island live tour. Gilmour used the P-1 on the Animals album and tour, although for the tour he also added a Ram's Head Muff, and it looks like he brought it back for the On An Island tour. He used a G-2 on the actual On An Island album though.

As for other suggestions...
ProCo Rat- I don't know much about these, but they're supposedly nice alternatives to a Big Muff
BYOC Large Beaver- Do-it-yourself, all you need is some basic soldering skills. They come with parts to build either a Triangle or Ram's Head Muff clone (which I didn't realize they did until just now)
Skreddy Pink Flesh- Recently discontinued
Skreddy Top Fuel

Both Skreddy's are Muff inspired, I liked the Pink Flesh more from what I've heard.
Quote by Thefallofman
matt, have you tried the dice works muff personally? or has anyone you know have had a hands-on experience with it?

im kinda leaning towards it ocz of the price, and it makes it easier for me to save up for the flanger.
Jong

^^I haven't tried one nor do I know anyone who has, but if it makes any difference, I would have bought one if I didn't find the Sovtek Muff I ended up with

These reviews sound pretty convincing-
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Dice+Works/Muff+Diver/10/1

And I've seen it recommended a few times on The Gear Page. I'd really like to hear what the Muff Diver sounds like, so if you end up going with that, post some clips
Quote by Thefallofman