Im starting to get a little confused as to what the diffrence is between these two guitars.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=515748

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510590

I feel like its the same guitar with a different name branding and price point. Am i wrong? is one considerably different than the other (for $50?) Is there a different neck or pickups?
nah
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
don't get either, pick up a mexican with good pickups or a higher end one lie the signature models. I recommend the john mayer strat, incredible pickups. otherwise get a deluxe players strat like me or a classic players 60's strat as they both have incredible pickups for 600 and 800 respectively.

american series are good but have ****e pickups imo. get a mexican with better pups and use the $$$ for amp/gear upgrades.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=515748
New neck shape with rolled edges for smooth, fast play
Solid alder body with hum-sing-hum routing, leaving more wood

versus

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510590
Modern C-shaped maple neck with rich, deep neck tint, glossed neck front with satin back
Delta-tone™ no-load circuit
Copper Infused Cast Strat® Bridge Block (steel with copper- 100% metal) for Increased Mass and Improved Tone
Thinner undercoat for improved body resonance
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
As the guy above me wrote, the first one is the newer model for 2008. See fender.com for more info on it, they have a list of everything that's changed.

Whether it's worth it or not, only you can decide.
Quote by rhakiath
don't get either, pick up a mexican with good pickups or a higher end one lie the signature models. I recommend the john mayer strat, incredible pickups. otherwise get a deluxe players strat like me or a classic players 60's strat as they both have incredible pickups for 600 and 800 respectively.

american series are good but have ****e pickups imo. get a mexican with better pups and use the $$$ for amp/gear upgrades.

Being this my first electric guitar (and prefreably only) the last thing i want to do is skimp out. I dont want to buy a crappy guitar that sucks to play. Which is why im going straight for the high end. Im pretty much set on Fender because they are pretty close to a gibson neck (which i will admit is pretty damn awesome) but i dont like that gibson sound (Its a nice sound but im more on the brighter side of playing with my music).

As far as the mex strats go they just dont sound good. i dont know how close they are to an american fender in terms of feel (ive never felt an american cus the local Daddys doesnt like them) but the buzz from the pickups is gonna drive me mad.

Is there anything else that they skimp out on with the mex made other than electronics?

Im quite partial to the roled neck of the new models just because i tend to dig my knucle into the guitar so a roled neck would probably help with the pain.

If the mex ones are pretty good (construction ect) then i might buy a used mex from the local daddys and change it up. Lucky im a techie so switching a pair of pickups should be cake.
thats the real bad thing about Fender.....when I was a kid.....alll there was was MIA.....then MIJ. After a while the Jap. guitars were the same or better quality as the MIAs.
Then Fender went with a new plant in Mexico. About 3 hours from their plant in Corona, CA.
I have played MIA, MIJ, MIM strats, that have all felt like kid's toys. Also, have played MIA, MIJ, and MIM that feel and sound like professional instruments. If you compare all the MIM strats on the wall at GC, you will see that some of them are awesome....others are junk....but they are all the same price. Same for the MIA guitars. Just get the one that feels best and sounds best to you. Dont worry about the electronics, etc....as you say its one of your first guitars. DO NOT order from the Internet, or you may get one of those crappy guitars.
If your planning on investing on only one guitar, mabye a custom guitar would be better for you. Then you will have a guitar built just the way you like it.
sigh...
Thanks for the help guys. After talking with my freind ive decided that im going to pull a Frankenstein.

Im planing to get a cheap guitar (Mim strat) from the local daddy's preferably for $200 or $300 if they really push it. Take out the buzzfutters that it comes with and then Load it with these babys.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Custom-Shop-Texas-Special-Strat-Pickups?sku=301616

If i have any $$ left over ill put in some new tuners and strings.

Hopefully ill be able to get the whole set up (amp included) for about $600.

nothing goes to waste cus i can always flip the pups into a new fenderbender and in the mean time i get a decent set up for $600.

As for the Custom Shop i dont know exactly what i want so i dont want to order from them. that and they probably cost more than i can make.