uhh i dunno about how it compares, but i tried the spider valve out and i was not impressed, in its price range there are better amps
i would rather play a flextone. ive never been impressed by the spiders. and while i havent tried the spider valve, the biggest complaint is that you can get a better amp for the same price. maybe not as versitile, but it would be better tonally.
I heard that the spider valves are nothing like the ****ty spider iii's and below b/c of the tubes. It is true about how there are better amps out there for the same price, but which ones are?
Ya, i like the flextones, but give the valve a try, though they way overcharge for it
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
The spider valves are actually good value for money around here.

Normally I hate line 6 gear, but $1400 for a 40watt tube combo with a footboard, built in effects and a Vintage 30 is hard to beat. A Randall RG50TC is $1000, a Marshall DSL401 is $1450, a Genz Benz El Diablo 60 is $1600. There isn't too much that can match the spider, in terms of features, power and ease of use.

If its your first "real" amp, and you don't own any effects, and need something versatile; it's a great start. People who know "their" sound, will probably find it lacking. You know what they say:

A jack of all trades is a master of none.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
I think I will grab myself a spider valve then. I do have effects (G2.1u) but their not the best effects. Anyway is it worth it to get the 212 ($830) or just get the 112 ($700)
it all depends on you. I personally prefer 1x12 combos over 2x12 combos, as they are easier to transport. Besides, why get a 2x12 combo? You might as well get the head and a 2x12 Avatar, which would cost about the same but be easier still to move around.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Is there much of a difference tone wise with the spider valve in specific?
Prepare for a bit of a rant here:

I currently am saving up for one. Why? Because these things sound good.

Now I'm not one to make assumptions, but here I am going to. I assume that maybe only 10% of people on UG have probably tried it out (mainly in the GGA forum) and the other 90% are going on plain bandwagon sk1llz or going by the name it has. This thing sounds thousands of times better than any piece of **** spider. It sounds more like a valved up POD in my opinion.

Also featured in my opinion, the only similarites between this Spidervalve and Spider III's is -

A - The name
B - The controls

You don't even need to hear this in real life to understand how much better this thing is. We all here understand that usually a brand will use some sort of device to make their product sound better (EQ and whatnot), and even with those said improvements, listen to the SPIDER III's sounds on the Line6 site and listen to how awful it sounds. THEN listen to the Spidervalve and hear the difference.

I think the only bad rep that the Spidervalve gets right now is from complete ignorance. I also think that the only reason it's assosciated with the Spider is a smart business ploy from Line 6 (Like the Marshall MG, yeah MGs suck complete arse but it's a pretty damn smart move from Marshall).

All the time beginners are directed towards the Spider III's as "the perfect modeller" and tricked into buying the shoddy amp. I realise that now, players will be directed towards the Spider series yet again, but to the more expensive one to gain profit. I wouldn't say that this is necessarily a bad thing as I think that it sounds pretty good. I also like having the ability to control all my channels, effects and even wah on a handy little board going into the amp.

As for the price thing, yeah I do realise that it is pretty expensive. But people are giving up too easily. I've found a Spidervalve head for £525. My nearest music shop to me is closing down and having a massive sale, I should probably check that store out. Some of you need to look harder
^^ your right, i laugh because if im feeling bored i make a spider valve by plugging my pod into the effects loop of my 6505
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by Cofflecakes
it all depends on you. I personally prefer 1x12 combos over 2x12 combos, as they are easier to transport. Besides, why get a 2x12 combo? You might as well get the head and a 2x12 Avatar, which would cost about the same but be easier still to move around.

the 2x12 gets way to loud with just a small turn of the wrist
Quote by guitaruboy
the 2x12 gets way to loud with just a small turn of the wrist

then turn down the channel volume. I would much rather have the line 6 combo with celestion speakers anyway
I had to get a replacement after I broke my G string. What a pain in the ass!
The Spider Valve is a big improvement over the Spider III's. They're a bit warmer than the Flextone, obviously due to the power tubes. What I noticed is that the Insane model actually sounds good on this amp. I never liked the Insane model on my PodXT, it's way too bassy and gainy no matter how much low end and gain I dial out. Insane mode on the Spider Valve is cleaned up a bit. There's still a lot of gain on tap, but it's not as extreme and the low end is tamable. I was able to dial in a nice, fat lead tone using the Insane model.

The cleans were lacking. I expected there to be a big improvement here, but there wasn't. To me, the cleans on the Spider Valve sound full, but dull... if that makes any sense. I was only impressed with a few of the amp models on the Spider Valve - Blues, Tweed, and Insane. The rest weren't anything to go crazy over. The EQ's are more sensitive than the Spider III's EQ's, which should be expected. I didn't mess around with the effects other than adding in some reverb and/or delay here and there.

Overall, I wasn't that impressed with the Spider Valve. Line6 put more hype into the release of the Spider Valve amps and, to me, it was a let down. That doesn't mean it's not a nice amp. I can't agree with the price tag on those amps.

In regards to tone and price, I'd take a Flextone III over the Spider Valve any day. The Flextone has more amp models to choose from, it's cheaper, and it sounds better. Then again, that's my opinion. If you haven't tried one, the Flextone amp are quite loud and do just fine in a live situation, I've seen/heard it myself.