Hi guys, I am progressing well with my playing and i want to learn to shred. But because of school I'm not able to practise 4 hours a day because of homework. What can I do?
Don't worry. Even with 4h a day practice you won't be a shredder anytime soon
It takes a lot of time to pass by until you drastically improve.
Sometimes months go by without me improving a bit, but then all of a sudden it clicks and you improve a lot. You'll know when that happens, because you'll spend the whole night shredding, because you're so happy
I run into a lot of the same problems as I have school and sports to deal with. I still find time to practice about 4 hours a day (I have a lot of late nights) on average (6-7 hours on weekends), but I often find myself cramped for time. What I try to do is make maximum use of the practice time I have. I spend fifteen minutes doing warm-up exercises to a metronome followed by 30-45 minutes of exercises with a metronome and I finnish with a fifteen minute shredfest jam with my Boss RC-2 Loop Station.

Two of the best scorces for exercises that I have come across are the DVD Speed Kills 1 by Michael Angelo (I don't care who thinks his music is bad, his exercises in this program work) and the book Speed Mechanics for lead guitar by Troy Setina.
You do NOT need to practice 4 hours a day to get good, trust me. It is far more important to have a focused, regimented practice session where you actually get things done, and do it frequently. I always tell my students to initially start practicing everyday, even if only for 20-30 minutes. This will go a lot farther when it comes to mastering technique than practicing for 5 hours one day and then not at all for 3 days.

Practice as regularly as you can while still having a life.

As far as what to practice, get a teacher if you don't already have one; no dvd or book can compare to live instruction. They should be able to play in a way you want to one day play. Hopefully they will convey concepts well and steer you right.
^ for the f#cking win bravo sir

my only addendum to his statement is that if you can't even afford a teacher (which is totally plausible, i have a decent paying job but i also have an apt, water, electricity insurance, food, phone/internet , cigarettes etc BILLS) , youtube has MANY good videos for everything from "how to play a power chord for n00bs" to "skwisgar skwigelfs finger wizard hand tapping masterclass"..... or just some paul gilbert/marty friedman vids will work wonders too.
you know i want to learn to shred to i have only been playing six months though so im pretty sure im nowhere near that wonderouys accomplishment.but ihope i can get there soon since i devote 6 hour practices with my teacher 6 days a week
-Pulse-
Shredding comes from accuracy, so practice things that will aid your accuracy in particular. Scale boxes, awkward fingering exercises, complex chords, ect.
Don't forget to play songs that use musical ideas similar to those of your favourite shredders. For example, if you like Zakk Wylde then practise blues songs, but if you like Randy Rhoads then study some classical melodies.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Might as well work on your accenting now, it'll help keep your playing from sounding like texture less mush, later on.
Quote by Amerikhastan
It's not how long you practice for that matters, it's how you practice.

That's exactly right. Although, if you do practice well, then more time helps too.

A lot of people around here have maybe a year or two or three on guitar, so the
advice you tend to get reflects that. Overall, it seems to be: Once you've
practiced for X amount of time, you're given the Keys to the Kingdom.

Unh Unh. Unless you've got good practice skill and habits, that will show itself
to be the mirage that it is after another couple of years. A haphazard approach
that avoids doing the "boring stuff" will yield fewer and fewer results. Especially
if you're expecting to reach "shred level", you can practice forever and you'll never get
there.

The single most important skill you can learn as a guitarist and musician is how to
practice to get the results you want. There really isn't even a close second to this
skill as everything else follows from it. Most people don't even think of this as a
skill, but it is and you can learn it.
Quote by mr. broken
Don't worry. Even with 4h a day practice you won't be a shredder anytime soon
It takes a lot of time to pass by until you drastically improve.
Sometimes months go by without me improving a bit, but then all of a sudden it clicks and you improve a lot. You'll know when that happens, because you'll spend the whole night shredding, because you're so happy

You got that right
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal