http://music.hxc-host.com/Daphne%20Loves%20Derby/Daphne%20Loves%20Derby%20-%20Simple%20Starving%20To%20Be%20Safe.mp3

Not the exact sound, just something like it. Try to keep it cheap, too, and if that's not possible, some alternatives?
um... you could try buying an acoustic and then also buy an acoustic modelling pedal. that might work for you.
Quote by captivate
um... you could try buying an acoustic and then also buy an acoustic modelling pedal. that might work for you.

Thanks for the suggestion, I probably never would've thought about that. I'd like it if I had a solid acoustic, though, for the portability of the tone and all without the hassle of the amp.
martin d35?
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Something small with Mahogany sides and back would work pretty well. A big Dreadnought (like recommended above) will have a more powerful sound with brighter high notes (doesn't mean you couldn't use one though). That said, gently played, there are many many guitars to get a similar sound to that. I would suggest learning to play the song on whatever you have now, then go to a store and try it out on some parlor sized guitars.
I may be wrong, but I think it should be noted that this recording has fingerstyle picking on it. This produces a cleaner, sweeter, warmer tone than using a pick. The finger picking sound is standing out to me more than the different way that the guitar sounds.
the only guitar i know of with an all mahogany body is the Martin 15 series, which is about... $1000 give or take $100 or $200. and that definitely isnt cheap, lol. well... thats relative i guess.

EDIT: @corndoggy - uhh... the guitars in the video look like a gibson songwriter? O__o i thought it was a taylor.
Last edited by captivate at Jan 28, 2008,
The guy has quite a distinct picking style. More than likely that, combined with the fact he is playing with electronics and is probably EQ'd professionally gives most of his tone.
Quote by captivate
EDIT: @corndoggy - uhh... the guitars in the video look like a gibson songwriter? O__o i thought it was a taylor.

DOH, you're right... pause that first one at 24 seconds... I think it's a Taylor 710ce. You can see that little wooden cover at the bottom of the headstock, the pick guard and bridge are shaped the same, and it doesn't have the curly design on the headstock like the 810.
^ haha, i have no idea which model, but that distinct picguard shape and colour, and also the bridge shape gave it away. i can usually recognize most taylors from a mile away, haha.