My friend has about $750 and am looking to buy some gear.
He'd like to preferably get both a guitar and an amp. (Last resort get a Toneport to save money.)
He's a beginner guitarist as of now but he wants to have it so he can comfortably advance into intermediate stuff. He mostly play metal but he'd like the choice to play some rock as well. If anyone can help me out with recommendations, it would be great.
My vote would be a Roland Cube 30 and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard.
LPs do everything and the Cube is a great beginner amp.

I almost guarantee that if and when he gets serious about guitar, he'll start getting interested in different types of music. Understandung guitar really expands your boundries in music. He'll probably be glad he got a versitile guitar down the road.
Last edited by foob85 at Jan 28, 2008,
^^ I think that ESP is ****in nasty. And the Spider III are terrible amps. DO NOT buy one.
Ask any educated guitarist and he'll tell you the same thing.
Wow alright. Haha thanks for that insight. I saw the good reviews and thought HURR MUST BE GOOD! But the Epiphone LP and Roland will be able to have that good metal sound as well as being kind of versatile?
Haha. xD
The Spider III and Marshall MG series are two of the worst amps around. The price looks nice but the tone is, well... not nice.

Furshur. The Cube has decent distortion; not great but good for beginners who aren't worried about tone so much. The Epi LP is nearly as nice as a real Gibson, just different wood and different pickups.
This one's very nice for the price, too: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG4EXQM1-Quilted-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar-103662789-i1168031.gc
Oh yeah, definetly. The 20, 30, and 60 is how many watts the amp has, which just means how loud it can go.
I doubt your friend will be playing gigs anytime soon, so 20 watts is more than enough for the bedroom. xD
Quote by Death298
Alright thanks. So I should go with this amp? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-20X-Amp-With-COSM?sku=487031
Looks nice, I'd go with the 30 but it's an extra hundred bucks and I don't know if the difference is worth that extra money.
The Cube 15x and 20x are crap. Get the Microcube.
As an owner of an Ibanez RG350, I will vouch for that guitar all day long over a Les Paul or that ugly ESP. I guarantee your buddy can find an Ibanez he likes if not that one, and they are very versatile guitars. I play blues, alt rock, and every kind of metal through mine. And Line 6 are pretty bad amps. You'll be happier with a Crate or a Randall or something like that. Get something bigger than 15 watts. Crate makes a 65 watt 1x12 that will be loud enough to play over a drummer and beyond for 250 bucks. Get a good guitar/amp combo now, and dont even bother with effects pedals. Put the money into a better amp.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
Quote by emr_steelmech
As an owner of an Ibanez RG350, I will vouch for that guitar all day long over a Les Paul or that ugly ESP. I guarantee your buddy can find an Ibanez he likes if not that one, and they are very versatile guitars. I play blues, alt rock, and every kind of metal through mine. And Line 6 are pretty bad amps. You'll be happier with a Crate or a Randall or something like that. Get something bigger than 15 watts. Crate makes a 65 watt 1x12 that will be loud enough to play over a drummer and beyond for 250 bucks. Get a good guitar/amp combo now, and dont even bother with effects pedals. Put the money into a better amp.

Never suggest floating trems to n00bs. Mabye get an Ibanez RG321MH and a Line 6Flextone
Quote by foob85
The Microcube is just smaller with a handle, and less wattage. >_>

It has amp models and effects, the 20x and 15x dont. Plus the mictocube can be battery powered.
Quote by emr_steelmech

Crate amps are terrible, dude. They don't even sound good for solid states; they're just cheap.
Quote by FRDesign
It has amp models and effects, the 20x and 15x dont. Plus the mictocube can be battery powered.

Oh, my bad. I've never owned any of those, just played them.
Then the Microcube would be a better choice for those reasons.
Quote by FRDesign
Never suggest floating trems to n00bs. Mabye get an Ibanez RG321MH and a Line 6Flextone

Good point. Get any Ibanez with a standard bridge.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
Either the Ibanez I suggested or the Epi LP is what I say. I'm about 70% Epi and 30% Ibanez. As for an amp, the Microcube would be the way to go.
Quote by FRDesign
Crate makes ****e amps. Unless its tube, a Palomino or a Blackheart

fine then, here
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RX-Series-RX75R-75W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481147
TheBurningFish wrote:

Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
Quote by foob85
Either the Ibanez I suggested or the Epi LP is what I say. I'm about 70% Epi and 30% Ibanez. As for an amp, the Microcube would be the way to go.

Yeah, I think for metal you would want the Ibanez as it has 24 frets. Plus it can play other stuff decent as well, because its Mahogany.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp?sku=481169
Quote by emr_steelmech

That Randall doesn't have any built in effects like the Microcube or is it portable, and it's WAAYYY too many watts for a beginner's amp.
Yep yep. I bet he'll choose the Ibanez because it's more M3T4LZ though. xD
Quote by foob85
That Randall doesn't have any built in effects like the Microcube or is it portable, and it's WAAYYY too many watts for a beginner's amp.

whoops, posted the wrong link. I meant this Randall:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RX30D-30Watt-1x12-Combo-Amp-with-Digital-Effects-and-Celestion-Speaker?sku=481263

The kid said he wanted something that would get him into intermediate play, I just think the microcube would be a little to small after awhile.

Maybe im wrong.
TheBurningFish wrote:

Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO