Page 1 of 2
Though I do it, i cant help but to think; it has to rack my brain and is clearly not a good thing for my body/head/neck.

Whats this i heard about you lose x amount of brain cells every time you make a sudden move with your head?

And yeah, I wonder what the medical side of this would say?

And of course! "Hitting your head against invisible objects mid-air looks stupid! Even if it DOES look like you are hitting a snare drum!"

So how about all this, the origins of headbanging, etc.
It is bad for you. Get over it. Metal has no time for people worried about snapping their necks. For death= brutal, and brutal is what we aim for.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Everything that's fun is bad for you. That's why we act maturely and only engage in brain killing activities in moderation. Right kids?
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Last edited by civildp1 at Jan 28, 2008,
i'm more worried about Mcdonald's food.
70's Japan Greco SuperPower
Amps: '65 TRRI - Peavey Classic 50 4x10 - Epiphone VJ Head (Modded) - 2x12 Celestion Greenback Cab
FX: BK Tube Driver - EH Small Stone - MXR CC
Acoustics: Breedlove ADSM20 - Alveraz 5021 12-String
My neck is sore from a show last night...

Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Terry Balsamo ( Evanescence ) had a stroke or somethin from headbangin :P , had to train his left arm to be able to play guitar again or some sh*t ?
No matter what you do, never be "satisfied", or "settle" for what you have accomplished, be proud of what you have achieved, but never settle for average or you will never be pushed to do something extraordinary.

- Me
i don't believe it has anything to do with brain motion or brain damage, the brain is pretty secure, the only way you can rattle your head to hard is when your brain hits your skull... also known as a concussion. I do believe the problem with head banging has to do with raised blood pressure
Quote by civildp1
Everything that's fun is bad for you. That's why we be mature and only engage in brain killing activities in moderation. Right kids?

Masturbation isnt bad for you
Quote by hethamulburton
It is bad for you. Get over it. Metal has no time for people worried about snapping their necks. For death= brutal, and brutal is what we aim for.

I can't tell if he's just a metal-head or if he's making fun of them
Quote by timo1

fair point, it actually prevents prostate cancer. Let me amend myself:

Excluding masturbation, everything that's fun is bad for you. That's why we act maturely and only engage in brain killing activities in moderation. Right kids?
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by timo1

apparently you lose brain cells from that too.
Quote by timo1

It depends if your doing it to yourself or a family member is.

rofl. sick i know but hey. made me laugh in my head.
Quote by wokketywok
apparently you lose brain cells from that too.

only if you headbang while doing it, as it would seem.
No matter what you do, never be "satisfied", or "settle" for what you have accomplished, be proud of what you have achieved, but never settle for average or you will never be pushed to do something extraordinary.

- Me
I think the problems are less from what happens to your brain, and more of your spine/neck. Too much headbanging can do a lot of damage to your neck very quickly.
bottom line: headbanging is bad for you... we ALL know it, but none of us really give a f**k... we do it cuz we doit and it's like, smoking, drinking, eating the food that will slowly kill us, etc. we do it because it, somehow, makes us happy and f**k everything else =)
Yeah apparantly that guy from evanescence got a stroke from headbanging

"In November 2005, Terry suffered a stroke from a torn neck artery which landed him in the hospital for an unspecified amount of time. Terry said that it was a result of a blood clot in his neck that formed from headbanging on stage."

Wikipedia
I don't really headbang that much anyway. I may bob my head and the head bobbing has a range from slight head bobbing to heavy head bobbing. But to go to an all-out head banging would be on a rare occasion.
WE ARE...PENN STATE
Quote by N031
bottom line: headbanging is bad for you... we ALL know it, but none of us really give a f**k... we do it cuz we doit and it's like, smoking, drinking, eating the food that will slowly kill us, etc. we do it because it, somehow, makes us happy and f**k everything else =)

It would make sense to be bad for you. All that sudden neck movement can't be good.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
over masturbation can be bad for you, gives you ED later in life

on the same note, OVER headbanging can be bad for you I'm sure, but i'm not stopping. Quadrapledgics still love metal. We put a guy in a wheelchair up on stage at a Lamb of God show once. Most brutal mother****er I've ever seen in the pit.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
Quote by Aus-10
Though I do it, i cant help but to think; it has to rack my brain and is clearly not a good thing for my body/head/neck.

Whats this i heard about you lose x amount of brain cells every time you make a sudden move with your head?

And yeah, I wonder what the medical side of this would say?

And of course! "Hitting your head against invisible objects mid-air looks stupid! Even if it DOES look like you are hitting a snare drum!"

So how about all this, the origins of headbanging, etc.

What about angus young? He headbangs at 100km an hour

Plus who cares it we lose brain cells? I don't really care, does anyone?

Next you are going to say that running around on stage is bad for the enviroment
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
Last edited by Dimster Ds at Jan 28, 2008,
Starlight gives you cancer, does that mean you won't go outside? How about using the microwave, im sure that it destroys more brain cells than headbanging
Quote by mattvl
Listen to this guy, he's australian. If there are any people out there who know how to handle women it's australians.
Haha like i was saying, i DO headbang.

I just wanted to see what you guys thought from the OTHER viewpoint of anti-headbanging or how it actually could be bad for ya.
Probably, plus I gotta admit it looks pretty stupid. I'm saying this as a guy in a metalesque band with long hair. My guitarist is convinced the only way to "Jam" on stage is to headbang constantly, personally I don't see the Jam factor of standing there flinging hair around.

But hell, to each their own.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Every time I've ever headbanged I've left with a huge kink in my neck for a couple days. I don't really prefer headbanging, I just do it if moshing isn't possible.
Quote by UndeadPaperclip
Probably, plus I gotta admit it looks pretty stupid. I'm saying this as a guy in a metalesque band with long hair. My guitarist is convinced the only way to "Jam" on stage is to headbang constantly, personally I don't see the Jam factor of standing there flinging hair around.

But hell, to each their own.

What do you do for stage presence on wild songs?

For slow songs, its pretty much hug your guitar on bendy notes. That sounds fun.
Quote by henza_x
Yeah apparantly that guy from evanescence got a stroke from headbanging

"In November 2005, Terry suffered a stroke from a torn neck artery which landed him in the hospital for an unspecified amount of time. Terry said that it was a result of a blood clot in his neck that formed from headbanging on stage."

Wikipedia

that guy from Rage busted a nut while on stage

:metal:
Quote by eeL
smoking is even worse - but people still do it

Smoking makes us look cool. Headbanging makes you look like a dork.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Aus-10
Haha like i was saying, i DO headbang.

I just wanted to see what you guys thought from the OTHER viewpoint of anti-headbanging or how it actually could be bad for ya.

Ok, lol

Weren't you going to say running around on stage is bad for the environment?
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Smoking makes us look cool. Headbanging makes you look like a dork.

your profile photo speaks a thousand words
lifes too short for not doing stuff.

we're all going to die anyway!

so i say, headbang our lives away!
Quote by Dimster Ds
Ok, lol

Weren't you going to say running around on stage is bad for the environment?

Am i coming off as someone who is anti-headbanging, anti stage presence, anti FUN?

Haha i dont mean it like that... I'm just wondering what the other side (in other words, the side thats going against what i said above) to this whole thing.
well yeah, it's bad for you, but unless you do it like for 6 hours a day every day you'll be fine
RIP:
"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
Clifford Lee Burton

You'll all be missed

Disciple of Åkerfeldtism
Page 1 of 2