I love Hendrix's tone, and it's not just the wah that defines it. It's that overdriven sweetness with the right amount of bite and personality. What strat would be closest to this? (without spending 50,000 dollars on a pre-CBS). Would the American 62 reissue cut it? USA 70s? Regular American strat with upgraded pickups? Custom shop 69s? Any recommendations are welcome.
Quote by Shuk
I love Hendrix's tone, and it's not just the wah that defines it. It's that overdriven sweetness with the right amount of bite and personality. What strat would be closest to this? (without spending 50,000 dollars on a pre-CBS). Would the American 62 reissue cut it? USA 70s? Regular American strat with upgraded pickups? Custom shop 69s? Any recommendations are welcome.

Most of Hendrix's strats were post CBS. What you want is a strat that you strung backwards that has pickups with alnico 5 magnets forbon bobbins wound to around 5.8K and a grounding plate on the bridge. You will also need a good vintage marshall to play through. Fender doesn't make any pickups that will get you the tone you are looking for. Your best bet will probably be www.sdpickups.com and take a look at the mojo (not to be mistaken for the mojo V) and if his prices are too high then come see me. I don't pickups with PE wire like sdpickups do so I can't get you quite as close as he can. If you want pre CBS pickups then I'm your man.
Not taking any online orders.
try a fender classic player strat 60's, made in mexico but designed in the american custom shop by a master builder its as good as an american at a fraction of the priced, it has p69 pickups with which give it a real early hendrix vibe. but like above your gonna need a whole lot of other stuff aswell.

R.I.P. Jimi Hendrix

1942-1970

R.I.P. Kurt Cobain
1967-1994
I would say a Marshall + Fuzz would get you closer than a new guitar or pickups
he also played a Flying V and a Les Paul here and there mind you.
It's not so much about the strat as the amp. Investing in a higher-end Marshall is your best bet.

For those on a budget, Vox is terrific too. Heck, I'd even take Vox over most Marshalls.
what happened to the proposed Kirk Hammett flamenco album?

His acoustic didn't sound good with wah pedal, I suppose.
Left handed '72 Reissue in vintage white with maple neck would get you very close on a reasonable budget I would say. String it right handed, and voila!
I have a 1985 MIJ '72 Reissue and I can get a tone that's pretty damn close (clean wise especially anyway, need to mess around with my Blues Driver more to find some better sounds yet)
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Strat > Marshall mainly. Any strat will get you close.
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz