ok so i want to start recording a few riffs just for a bit off fun with audacity.what ports do i connect to what? I want the sound to go from my amp(marshall dsl401) straight into the computer.any ideas how to do this? probably stupid questions but Im retarded with all this sort of stuff.

Cheers for an help.
DONT FEAR THE REAPER!
Well, firstly, I suggest you download REAPER™. It's WAY better than Audacity in my opinion as I have both, and went from AC to Reaper. As for recording, what I did was bought a small Guitar lead, about a foot long, and cut one end off. I then bought a Microphone jack lead (It's a small one, like on the end of headphones) and cut the end off of that, but left about 5cm of cables, and then I attached the small jack cables to the big guitar cable and viola! A cable that fits one end into my guitar and another into the front Line-in (pink) port on my PC. You might have a small port on the front/back of your PC where you can plu a PC mic in, and I just plug my cable into the Headphones part of my AMP, and the other end straight into my PC mic jack. To tell if it's in the right one, just crank the speaker volume on your PC and you can hear your guitar. And yeah, effects and pedals on your amp still work too!
Or just buy a $400 sound card from a music shop to plug a normal guitar cord idrectly into your PC, but my way is like $20 tops.
or you could always just buy a 2 dollar 1/4 inch to 1/8th inch adaptor... saves you chopping up leads. Just shove it into the mic port.. its not good but itll do the job, do NOT crank your amp if your running it through your amp, only turn it up as much as you need to or youll blow your soundcard.

id sugest not cranking your guitar through your speakers aswell, headphones would be a better bet just incase.
Quote by doommaker
or you could always just buy a 2 dollar 1/4 inch to 1/8th inch adaptor.

id sugest not cranking your guitar through your speakers aswell, headphones would be a better bet just incase.

Oh yeah, they don't sell those cords at the stores I went to >_< And I didn't mean crank it THAT high, just enough to hear if you need to tweak your amp settings or to see if the cord works.
Audacity is just as good as reaper, you just need the proper setup for it to work well...

Anyways U suggest going out the line out or headphone out on your amp down some stereo phono cable to your blue line in port on your sound card.

If you want better quality, go for a PCI or some other type interface.

also read the stickies at the top of the board, theres some new videos out now as well.