I searched but there wasn't really a relevant thread, so I figured why not. How many UGers do some form of martial arts? What style? Feel free to post any martial arts related stuff here aswell.

Me, I have been doing Kumiai-Ryu Karate for about 8 years now, reached 1st Kyu (one grade away from black) but our dojo isn't running anymore so I can't train and get my black . It's basically a blend of Okinawan Karate and Muay Thai kickboxing...which means we get to have some kickass sparring comps as well as doing the normal training/self defence thing.

Anyway, let the martial arts related banter begin.
I don't, but I plan on learning Krav Maga.

EDIT: And I know it isn't actually considered to be one of the martial arts, but still.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Last edited by terrencemaddox at Jan 28, 2008,
Jiu Jitsu is the schizzle, my one regret is that I haven't kept it up, still there's plenty of time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavnofingrprnt
well there are only three true people alive today who are actually possesed by satan

Dakota Fanning, the kfc general dude, and my neighbor and all of them dont have much musical ability
muay tia -Red Belt
Samba- Brown Belt
Jiu Jitsu - Also Red Belt

I'm interested in learning some Judo next year, And i fight MMA
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
I used to study Lau Gar Kung Fu & Kickboxing.
Also studied Wing Chun Kung Fu.

Some form of Karate too, but I didn't like it to much.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
re-learning Tae Kwon Do at the mo, but i want to learn a few different types of martial art throughout my lifetime
I currently do tae kwon do, i'm brown belt at the moment
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
I've been thinking of taking one up (more for a fun cardio than anything).

Can anyone recommend me one and give reasons??
Quote by jimtaka
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...
Quote by PurpleMonkeyDW
I've been thinking of taking one up (more for a fun cardio than anything).

Can anyone recommend me one and give reasons??

Well, I don't know much...but I am going to start taking Krav Maga because in addition to being a good way to learn self defense, it is also praised as a great full body workout. I could be wrong, but that's what I've read.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
^+1 I've also heard good things about Krav Maga. But anyways if all you're after is a workout, that encompasses pretty much every style there is (bar like Tai Chi, which interestingly I heard is supposed to be the deadliest form of martial arts when you speed the moves up, they are all actually killing moves, or so I've heard). I can vouch for Muay Thai as a great sparring workout, but if you aren't into the fighting side of it, eenie meenie mynee mo man! They should all be great for cardio fitness.
I have been doing Krav Maga for over 6 months. I must say it is one of the most intense workouts I have been through.

Also my class has a "fight class" once a week where we put on gear and go at it, so it helps you with real life situations. If you are looking for specific information on Krav you can PM me.
Quote by ckellingc
puffycow, you rock

Quote by Krieg Commando
Puffycow, you've got mojo

touch me
I do Tae Kwon Do. Have been for a while, but i quit for like 2 years somewhere in the middle. now i took it up again. Blue 2 at the moment, but gonna try for red soon.

You only have one lifetime. USE IT!!!

The Athiest of Zeppelinism. PM The Heartbreaker to join.

We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!:UG Naked Club
i would like to learn a martial art, mostly cos i think i need more exercise because i'm finding it hard to sleep atm, also to maybe get a bit fitter so i don't puff as much when running up the college stairs when i'm late, but also because i'm the littlest person in a place full of people who like to be mean to me, and because i've had some violent ex's, and i think maybe i'd be less intimidated when i go out if i knew of some way of defending myself a bit better. not that kicking people in the balls and punching them in the stomach hasn't worked up til now but y'know...

what would you guys recommend for me? problem is i live in the middle of nowhere, nearest to ipswich and colchester, and there just don't seem to be that many options :\
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by esther_mouse
i would like to learn a martial art, mostly cos i think i need more exercise because i'm finding it hard to sleep atm, also to maybe get a bit fitter so i don't puff as much when running up the college stairs when i'm late, but also because i'm the littlest person in a place full of people who like to be mean to me, and because i've had some violent ex's, and i think maybe i'd be less intimidated when i go out if i knew of some way of defending myself a bit better. not that kicking people in the balls and punching them in the stomach hasn't worked up til now but y'know...

what would you guys recommend for me? problem is i live in the middle of nowhere, nearest to ipswich and colchester, and there just don't seem to be that many options :\

It sounds like you're already halfway there with the self-defense thing ...you'd be surprised how often a good knee to the groin comes up in my style as a method of defense...but anyways if you're given the choice i would say go for a striking style like Karate, Kung Fu, Wing Chun, Jeet Kune Do or Krav Maga (which seems to be becoming the style of choice in this thread!) Actually from what I know of Krav, it's very self-defense based and very practical, as well as (from what puffycow said) a hell of a workout!

Living in the middle of nowhere means you probably don't have a local Krav Maga club though! So in that case, pick what's most convenient for you travel/training/cost wise. Something to watch out for is the so called "McDojo"; They're basically money making ventures where the instructor/s have dubious qualifications. Easy way to check (this applies for Karate but it should for most styles) is to check the instructor/grandmaster has been accredited by your relevant governing body...In karate the rank of Kyoshi (grandmaster) can only be bestowed by the Karate Association of England (or something...I made that up, they'll be called something like that)...so if the person has just pronounced themselves "Kyoshi John" you can be sure they're dodgy.

Anyway sorry for the essay, I've got an assignment i'm putting off!
Quote by YetAnotherMuso
It sounds like you're already halfway there with the self-defense thing ...you'd be surprised how often a good knee to the groin comes up in my style as a method of defense...but anyways if you're given the choice i would say go for a striking style like Karate, Kung Fu, Wing Chun, Jeet Kune Do or Krav Maga (which seems to be becoming the style of choice in this thread!) Actually from what I know of Krav, it's very self-defense based and very practical, as well as (from what puffycow said) a hell of a workout!

Living in the middle of nowhere means you probably don't have a local Krav Maga club though! So in that case, pick what's most convenient for you travel/training/cost wise. Something to watch out for is the so called "McDojo"; They're basically money making ventures where the instructor/s have dubious qualifications. Easy way to check (this applies for Karate but it should for most styles) is to check the instructor/grandmaster has been accredited by your relevant governing body...In karate the rank of Kyoshi (grandmaster) can only be bestowed by the Karate Association of England (or something...I made that up, they'll be called something like that)...so if the person has just pronounced themselves "Kyoshi John" you can be sure they're dodgy.

Anyway sorry for the essay, I've got an assignment i'm putting off!

thank you! i saw that there are krav maga classes in colchester, but it's on a morning when i'm at college, which sucks :\ i guess i'll keep shopping around lol.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
<//////>~ dA
I have a junior black belt in Hapkido. I've been doing it for maybe 9 years. I've kind of let it slip a lot though. Shame on me I'm going to start practicing and everything again. Wouldn't want to forget/lose everything...
I got up to green belt in jujitsu but i'm on a break from it at the moment as the classes are on wednesday nights (which means i can't really have a dinner as it will fill me up, plus i would have to rush about), and sunday mornings, which is pretty damn early for me on a sunday, but i would like to go back to it, it was a very good workout and i learnt alot, some of the things get built in instinctivley and i don't think i will ever forget them. I also done escrima for a bit too which i would have loved to have carried on but it was a small club and it was a little inconsistent (sometimes it will be cancelled for a couple of weeks or something at the last minute), i am not too sure if its still running but i would like to go again.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
i once kicked some dude in the balls...now thats the art of being martial
Sig space available, give me some praise
Quote by sirlimecat
muay tia -Red Belt
Samba- Brown Belt
Jiu Jitsu - Also Red Belt

I'm interested in learning some Judo next year, And i fight MMA

Woo, MMA FTW. (it's spelled muay THAI though lol)

I train MT and BJJ.
i'm first don black belt in judo. i love it, and will probably be in it until the very day i die.
hey guys, sorry for being a pain but i trust your opinions more than my own on this, what dyou reckon about this?

http://www.colchesterkarate.com/default.htm

sound like a good deal?
<//////>~ dA
I do the Okinawan karate. Theres some kid who won the whole world championship for his age group for fighting or soemthing.
I used to do a lot of Ba Gua when I was younger, I'd say it's probably the best internal martial art out there. Also I've done Bujinkan for the last 8 years. If you want to take any martial art but are unsure of what to take, take Bujinkan. It's one of the few entirely complete martial arts out there. The only downside is that there aren't nearly as many places that teach it in comparison to other martial arts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bujinkan

Quote by esther_mouse
hey guys, sorry for being a pain but i trust your opinions more than my own on this, what dyou reckon about this?

sound like a good deal?

I reckon that they cancelled their lesson on March 13th. Not a good deal at all.

Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Last edited by musicianamedave at Jan 28, 2008,
Ive been training MMA for almost a year. I turn 18 in July so im getting my first fight toward the end of summer. CANT WAIT!!!
*Resists urge to make comments on Tae Kwon Do*
I've trained in Jidoquan and Jiu Jitsu for the past 5 years or so, but I've been slacking lately
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Guys i've been watching a lot of mma and I sort of would like to start training. I used to do Tae Kwon Do a long time ago but stopped at yellow belt. Whats a good martial art for striking, takedowns, hand to hand combat and one that can be used in real life situations. As well as a good body workout? I was thinking sambo, but I don't know.
Quote by esther_mouse

sound like a good deal?

Hmm seems ok to me...Man I was close with that association name! The Karate Union Of Great Britain...Karate Association Of England...kinda...anyways, play it by ear, you'd be a better judge in person than any of us over the net.

Quote by Kevin97220
Guys i've been watching a lot of mma and I sort of would like to start training. I used to do Tae Kwon Do a long time ago but stopped at yellow belt. Whats a good martial art for striking, takedowns, hand to hand combat and one that can be used in real life situations. As well as a good body workout? I was thinking sambo, but I don't know.

Well striking AND takedowns (I'm taking that to mean throws)...generally a style has a focus on one or the other...for example in Karate we do a little throwing but it's probably like 90% striking...so depending on how much you want the throwing aspect I'd go for a striking style (I listed some of those above). If by hand-to-hand combat you mean sparring, go for the kickboxing styles like Muay Thai...but if you mean street fighting, the mantra of most martial arts styles is "do what needs to be done to get your a$$ outta there!" (more or less ) so you won't find people telling you how to fight a prolonged encounter...as for real-life situations, they can pretty much all be used with enough mastery of the techniques...but going back to Krav Maga (yet again!) the basis is teaching people to deal with lots of possible situations, defense on the point of exhaustion, defending against several opponents, knife and gun (close-range obviously!) defense. Then again we do several opponents and knife defense in karate as well, its just more kata/move based than Krav.

Hope that helped!
Last edited by YetAnotherMuso at Jan 29, 2008,
I practiced Taiho-Jutsu for 2 1/2 years, made it to brown belt, suffered a concussion whilst trying to beat down a pig (Work related), and kinda fell out of it.
Quote by raise_the_dead
I wouldnt be surprised if the first thing Varg did was sign up for WoW so he could kick some Judeo-Christian ass.

Final Fantasy

Cid Highwind of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!