Page 1 of 5
Being possessed by a spirit; demon.

Do you believe it?

Most of you have more than likely seen the movie 'Exorcism of Emily Rose" well it was based on a true story:

Who she was:

In 1968, when she was 17 and still in high school, Anneliese began to suffer from convulsions. Court findings have her experiencing her first epileptic attack in 1969. It was then that a neurologist at the Psychiatric Clinic Wurzburg diagnosed her with Grand Mal epilepsy. Soon, Anneliese started experiencing devilish hallucinations while praying. She also began to hear voices, which told her that she was damned. The court determined that by 1973 Anneliese was suffering from depression and considering suicide. In 1975, convinced that she was possessed, her parents gave up on the doctors from the psychiatric clinic. They chose to rely solely on the exorcisms for healing (washingtonpost.com). Anneliese's symptoms have since been compared with those of schizophrenia, and they may have responded to treatment (telegraph.co.uk).

Some things she did:

Anneliese carried out a number of highly disturbing actions. She licked her own urine off the floor. She ate flies, spiders, and coal. She bit off the head of a dead bird. In one instance, she crawled under a table and barked like a dog for two days. She could often be heard screaming through the walls for hours. Tearing off her clothes and urinating on the floor became a regular occurrence. -moviesonline.ca

How she died:

Yes. Anneliese (pictured right) endured 67 rites of exorcism over a period of 10 months. Over time, the ligaments in her knees ruptured due to the 600 genuflections that she performed obsessively during each exorcism session. A genuflection is an act of reverence consisting of falling onto one or both knees (called a "double genuflection"). On June 30, 1976, during her last rite of exorcism before her death, too weak and emaciated to perform the genuflections on her own, Anneliese's parents stood and helped carry her through the motions. -moviesonline.ca

UGers....... Do you believe she was possessed? If not, explaination?

Tieheria x
Shhh.. It's my filthy little secret.

Quote by Carswell98
I give up on this thread, Tieheria, you're doomed to a life of flattery, lol
I dont know why i typed possession.. anyway lol

Quote by Carswell98
No. I don't believe in Christianity or any other religion for that matter, and therefore don't believe that there is a devil that could possibly possess someone.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
It's possible, if you use a ouji board when you don't know what you are doing, a spirit can posses you

You need to have something like a cross and garlic or something, i was going to use one with my friend one time but we backed out in the end
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
Last edited by Dimster Ds at Jan 28, 2008,
Although that whole thing sounds pretty convincing, I don't believe in anything like that, or anything like a god/devil.

The before and after pictures of this girl are just amazing though.
Quote by syk3d
No. I don't believe in Christianity or any other religion for that matter, and therefore don't believe that there is a devil that could possibly possess someone.

I have to say I agree,

It's interesting to say the least, but I believe in most cases some form of mental illness is probably to blame
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
It's mental illness, nothing more.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
ive been told i was possessed although i did tell the minister that god wasn't real and Jesus was just a man who may or may not have lived and that Christianity was obviously the religion of the devil due to the seeking of sheer wealth by many churches and the many millions of deaths that the church sanctioned. he told me i was possessed i told him to eat a dick and walked away metal heads will understand why i said all this he sed metal should be banned...........
I am me. Live with it.
I'm not sure about it.

I'm not quite certain that there is some kind of supernatural force, but I think there is something that we have no control over, considering all the evidence for it (if you're in Australia, do the Port Arthur Ghost Tour in Tasmania, it's well worth it). Going by what I've heard and seen, I would say that there was definitely something weird going on with her, whether it was possession or such, I'm not quite sure, but definitely something weird.

Damn you make good thread Tieheria.
..is a girl
Quote by RPGoof
WAT
How about just send a ship at the speed up light directly to the sun, and the gravity will pull it towards the sun, thus speeding it over the speed of light.

Quote by Kaed15
I'm not sure about it.

I'm not quite certain that there is some kind of supernatural force, but I think there is something that we have no control over, considering all the evidence for it (if you're in Australia, do the Port Arthur Ghost Tour in Tasmania, it's well worth it). Going by what I've heard and seen, I would say that there was definitely something weird going on with her, whether it was possession or such, I'm not quite sure, but definitely something weird.

Damn you make good thread Tieheria.

Aww thank you. Im from Norway and live in Australia too :O

Anyway. lol

Quote by Carswell98
No I don't believe it. It's probably because I've read a thing called "psychology".
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by DeAd-RiP
ive been told i was possessed although i did tell the minister that god wasn't real and Jesus was just a man who may or may not have lived and that Christianity was obviously the religion of the devil due to the seeking of sheer wealth by many churches and the many millions of deaths that the church sanctioned. he told me i was possessed i told him to eat a dick and walked away metal heads will understand why i said all this he sed metal should be banned...........

Rebel.

Not a believer in possession.
Although spirits and stuff is another matter entirely.
its simply everything she has experienced.
what do we imagine heaven like? pearly gates, golden streets, angels.
and hell? fire, demons, and suffering.
they are all things we can experience here on earth. just cut and pasted together.
everything she experienced she already knew about. and her mental illness started it.
people who dont believe in christianty still know about it and experience possession because of thier illness and their conjurations.
that applies to dreaming too. you can only dream what you have experienced already. even if it is a distorted version of it.
besides, how come possessions only came about when christianity came about? thats odd to me.
hopefully that will explain why.
Wisest is she who knows she does not know.
Quote by syk3d

Same.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
the poor girl was obviously suffering from some horrific mental problems. blaming it on possession is just insulting to her.

it's likely that today more and better psychiatric help could be given, i reckon.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by esther_mouse
the poor girl was obviously suffering from some horrific mental problems. blaming it on possession is just insulting to her.

it's likely that today more and better psychiatric help could be given, i reckon.

She actually thought she was possessed too, darling.

Quote by Carswell98
Quote by Tieheria
She actually thought she was possessed too, darling.

that doesnt stop it from being a mental illness.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Quote by syk3d
that doesnt stop it from being a mental illness.

Oh i know; i think it was a mental illness too; i was just saying that because he was saying its like insulting her, when she thought i as well.

Quote by Carswell98
Quote by Tieheria
Oh i know; i think it was a mental illness too; i was just saying that because he was saying its like insulting her, when she thought i as well.

i'm a she, and it is sort of insulting to her memory, if not to her because she can't understand it. i think that with proper treatment there might have been some improvement, but i guess that even 35 years ago there wasn't enough knowledge about mental health issues.

makes you wonder what people will think about our methods of dealing with mental illness in another 30 years time...
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
<//////>~ dA
Yeah, she probably had some sort of mental illness that couldn't be diagnosed back then. I'm gonna guess something with a genetic origin.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Yeah, she probably had some sort of mental illness that couldn't be diagnosed back then. I'm gonna guess something with a genetic origin.

well, i would imagine her parents were under a lot of strain looking after her, but attributing it to demonic possession makes them themselves look a little bit less than stable. possibly something like that runs in their family, and the girl got a bigger dose of it. exorcising her until the ligaments in her knees went seems a bit extreme - if it hadn't worked by then, surely they would have given up.
<//////>~ dA
Quote by esther_mouse
well, i would imagine her parents were under a lot of strain looking after her, but attributing it to demonic possession makes them themselves look a little bit less than stable. possibly something like that runs in their family, and the girl got a bigger dose of it. exorcising her until the ligaments in her knees went seems a bit extreme - if it hadn't worked by then, surely they would have given up.

well, if it was genetic it was probably a recessive allele, which means both the parents would be carriers, and I suppose the recessive gene might show some effects on the heterozygotes, but you need to be homozygote to be full on pee-licking.

Anyway, we're talking christian America here, many of them have extreme religeous views.

After reading the original post againI see it mentions epilepsy, which can be a side effect of brain tumours, so maybe she had one.
Quote by freedoms_stain
well, if it was genetic it was probably a recessive allele, which means both the parents would be carriers, and I suppose the recessive gene might show some effects on the heterozygotes, but you need to be homozygote to be full on pee-licking.

Anyway, we're talking christian America here, many of them have extreme religeous views.

After reading the original post againI see it mentions epilepsy, which can be a side effect of brain tumours, so maybe she had one.

if what i saw in neighbours is correct (!) brain tumours also cause hallucinations!

although i'm not sure as to the medical accuracy of australian soaps. but yeah, it all sounded a lot like medical problems as opposed to any supernatural nasties controlling her.

and ugh, genetics...that reminds me of GCSE biology. how i hated it
<//////>~ dA
People can be possessed but no, she was not...

trust me, I know...
Quote by metaldud635
Has anyone ever caught their parents doing it?

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah, multiple times, and I usually joined in, still do in fact.

Quote by Vagabond21
Aaahh yes, the great state of Kentucky
See? I've already taken over him^
Quote by metaldud635

Quote by Kid_Thorazine

Quote by Vagabond21
Quote by esther_mouse
if what i saw in neighbours is correct (!) brain tumours also cause hallucinations!

although i'm not sure as to the medical accuracy of australian soaps. but yeah, it all sounded a lot like medical problems as opposed to any supernatural nasties controlling her.

and ugh, genetics...that reminds me of GCSE biology. how i hated it

They can cause hallucinations, yes.

Quote by Tieheria

She was mentally ill I don't think her self-diagnos should count...
hmm .. I believe that people can be possessed by the devil. It's because the excorcisms of many people have been successful. The testimonies of the priests doing the procedures are very similar. The same smell of sulfur every time. The speaking of ancient, foreign and dead languages by the possessed one. The changing of voices. The list goes on. Sometimes you have to ask yourself if there really isn't too much to deny.
Quote by Hotpunksk8rgirl
EWWWWW!!!!! Isn't a urethra another word for a female body part(vagina)??????? Perverted fishy.
Quote by Bronek
hmm .. I believe that people can be possessed by the devil. It's because the excorcisms of many people have been successful. The testimonies of the priests doing the procedures are very similar. The same smell of sulfur every time. The speaking of ancient, foreign and dead languages by the possessed one. The changing of voices. The list goes on. Sometimes you have to ask yourself if there really isn't too much to deny.

No.
^seconded
Quote by metaldud635

Quote by Kid_Thorazine

Quote by Vagabond21
Quote by Kensai
No.

try a little harder
Quote by Hotpunksk8rgirl
EWWWWW!!!!! Isn't a urethra another word for a female body part(vagina)??????? Perverted fishy.
Quote by Bronek
try a little harder

How about: Super-mega no.
Page 1 of 5