Yet again another social debate

Should it be legalised (i know it is in some countries but not in a lot).

Even if the person wishes to die, it's illegal to take life support off;

If the person has no future without life support; it's illegal (unless some special circumstances)

And if the family wants it taken away; it's illegal.

Is it classified as murder in your eyes?

What do you think?

Tieheria. x
Shhh.. It's my filthy little secret.

Quote by Carswell98
I give up on this thread, Tieheria, you're doomed to a life of flattery, lol
i dunno, i think that these issues are too complicated to really come to a conclusion on. on one hand, it sucks to be stuck alive when you're unconscious, but then on the other hand, who the hell knows what one's family thought of them. they could just want the inheritance or something. and people HAVE come out of comas that they thought were permanent. i guess they just decided to leave it at keeping someone alive until it caused a problem, like taking up hospital space.
it should be legal:
sometimes it is better to be dead instead of suffering the rest of your life.
No it is not murder.
It is legal in my country btw.
yeah it should be allowed if there's
-consent from doctor
-consent from family
-consent from victim.
so if they are in a coma tough titties. they need to know if they are gonna die.

anyway, why should they make putting someone out of their misery illegal when we kill animals, other lives, to shove food we dont need and eat too much of anyway. seems pretty odd if you think about it.
Wisest is she who knows she does not know.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
i dunno, i think that these issues are too complicated to really come to a conclusion on. on one hand, it sucks to be stuck alive when you're unconscious, but then on the other hand, who the hell knows what one's family thought of them. they could just want the inheritance or something. and people HAVE come out of comas that they thought were permanent. i guess they just decided to leave it at keeping someone alive until it caused a problem, like taking up hospital space.

It sucks to be alive when you're unconcious? I don't get it. I thought when your unconcious it's like being dead, but for a shorter time, and also you aren't really dead because you are living... I'd hate to die no matter what the circumstances, but maybe if I was involved in a really bad accident or something my mind would change? I don't know, dying sucks. I think it should stay illegal unless the person is definately going to be depressed for the rest of their lives. Which is impossible because music exists =] It must suck being death =|
If the person has cancer or something and can ask for it then by all means yes. It's their body, they can do whatever the **** the wanna do with it.
Personally, I have no stance on it because I am an uneducated fool. If I had to express my opinions though, I say it should stay illegal. There is no reason to justify the taking of a human life except under extreme circumstances.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

This topic always gets me going.

IMO Euthanasia should be legal. As people we have control - or should have control over our own lives. For terminal cases, and people who have a poor standard of life/live in pain constantly, I see no crueler behaviour against a person than to keep them alive against their will.

But, that said, a massive issue lies in the decision about when a person's life is too hard to live. By legalising Euthanasia, we are [in a sense] promoting suicide. All it takes is for someone to be dumped by a girlfriend and to enter a depressed state of mind, where suicidal thoughts are generally present, and an offer for assisted, painless suicide is going to appear extremely appealing - whether the right thing to do or not.

For a doctor especially, having a patient come in and ask to be killed over an issue like that - or a money/family problem or whatever, it's obviously going to be a tough decision. Refuse to kill someone and they are technically discriminating and all that hooha, and we all know where that ends up - Euthanasia will end up a bigger debate then than it is now.

So, logically, we propose a panel, or a board of people to investigate potential Euthanasia cases through a series of Application/Interviews. But I mean there are issues there too - how can you decide whether someone can or can't die?

Is it not morally incorrect to keep someone alive against their will? Despite their seeming decent quality of life?

I can easily see how, if legalized, Euthansia will cause pretty big issues and more arguments, but keeping it illegal goes against everything we as humans are supposed to stand for - freedom of choice etc.

As someone else stated, in less, and more sensical words, if the doctor consents, the patient consents, and the family, it could work. But that isn't going to always happen.

It's an giant, unresolveable issue no matter what way you look it.

Plus you've got Christian extremists opposing it the whole way, and making massive stands about it telling us we're going to hell for it.

I'll shut up now. I'm sorta just ranting on. I don't even know if any of this post will make sense when I read it back.
O! music: Click (Youtube)

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.
make it mandatory to have it as an option in your will, i personally can't stand the thought of being in a coma or something with my family worrying about it, i'd rather die so they can move on, but some other people may feel differently, it should be legal to have an option, dying is my choice in the option, but other people may prefer to live
I think it's a quality of life issue.

but then again, in the case of those not lucid enough to make a decision, who decides what quality of life is r is not worth living? especially if there is a chance of pulling through.
Euthanasia should be legal. You should watch "Mar Adentro".
It's a Spanish movie about a guy that is totally paralyzed besides his head, and he wants to suicide but nobody wants to help him.
And also that movie that "Metallica - One" is based on.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I think it's a quality of life issue.

but then again, in the case of those not lucid enough to make a decision, who decides what quality of life is r is not worth living? especially if there is a chance of pulling through.

Their family.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Jan 28, 2008,
Yes, it should be legal. I'm not going to state all the reasons but it's basically the same of what's already been mentioned in this thread.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
It should be legal under the strictest guidelines to ensure no foul play, no pushing people out for the hospital bed, no will related stuff...

If someone's quality of life is so severe and is terminal, then they should have the choice to give up the time they're taking up in hospital to someone who would be able to live happily again.
Of course it should be aloud. If someone is going to just be in more and more pain as what remains of their life progresses and they want to die then let them. Of course there would need to be safe guards. Doctors assesment (quality of life, future complications, future pain), and assesment to see if this person is in a fit state of mind for this decision.
if im paralyzed from the neck down and cant talk or respond to anything, ie vegetable; i want my family to be able to put me down to be honest.

if i was just in a wheel chair or went blind/deaf/whatever that would be alright but if there was something wrong with my brain that made me not who i was before i want nothing to do with it.

imagine being able to think as normal but not be able to speak or react to any stimulation whatsoever, no thanks, you can use me for scientific experiments