Could someone help me out here.

I want to know what are the best pickups for metal (eg:Iron Maiden) and some examples of them?

Any help will be appreciated
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
there's no one specific "best" pickup. it all depends on what you want to sound like.

for that kind of music, though, i'd recommend EMG pickups or some of Seymour Duncan's offerings. regardless, it all depends on how they work with you.

but judging from your gear, i'd upgrade your amp before upgrading your guitar.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
heard of something called bareknuckles? i herd they're expensive though
seymore duncans or di marzios are good. i have heard of bareknuckles, there was an add in total guitar and they looked expensive
+1 on an amp upgrade. You have decent guitars that'll most likely receive a big tonal boost if you get a new amp. What kind of budget are you working with?
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
i just got new pickups myself but i was disapointed cuz my amp still sucks
but once i get a new amp those pickups will sound good
i agree with them you should get a new amp first
unless the pickups are dieing on you
Yeah, thanks, i was just wondering about which are the best pickups so if i have to get some pickups or something so I'm not clueless when it comes to pickups.

Yes, i know the amps are not all that flash, but I'm only a practicing guitarist at the moment, when i start to go in bands and stuff in 2 years time, I'll get a Marshall JVM410C

I want to know which are the best pickups for metal like Iron maiden and stuff, i also want ones that have a good range so they can play anything from rock to metal, i am also a fan of heavy tones.

The pickups can be single coils or humbuckers

Also, if i added really good pickups to my squire, will it sound a lot better?
Quote by Bartleby

Quote by UncleCthulhu

yeah, i modded my squire and its a beast now, but i bought a good amp before i modded it and just getting a new amp will increase your tone and everything els like self confidence(if it sounds like crap you wont want to play), so get a new amp first then upgrade your guitar pickups
Quote by ironman1478
yeah, i modded my squire and its a beast now, but i bought a good amp before i modded it and just getting a new amp will increase your tone and everything els like self confidence(if it sounds like crap you wont want to play), so get a new amp first then upgrade your guitar pickups

Yeah, i probably will, it's not meant to last forever, plus it's ok for now
Quote by Bartleby

Quote by UncleCthulhu

I wil aso recommend getting a new amp.
But if you want a good metal sound, I was playing around in GC the other day and I was very impressed with the Dimebucker, moreso than any other pickups I was trying out for metal (put this in the bridge):
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/cutting-edge/sh13_dimebucker/

If you specifically want an Iron Maiden sound, put this in the neck pickup of your strat:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/cutting-edge/hot_rails_for_s/
That's what Dave Murray uses for his solos.
Gear:
-Ibanez S470 DXQM (Blue)
-Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Jumboshrmp at Jan 28, 2008,
Thanks, I'll have a look at that dimebucker one, i don't want to sound exactly like iron maiden but similar

What i might do is later on, when i get the amp, after that, i might put in some Seymour Duncans into my squire, i might do H S H, or S S S, but i'll have to test out some pickups

What are good seymour duncans for metal and rock, i use my squire for mostly downtuned stuff (DGCFAD) but i sometimes use standard tuning

I just really want a heavy metal sound

EDIT: What are blackouts? (The Seymour duncan blackouts)
Quote by Bartleby

Quote by UncleCthulhu

Last edited by Dimster Ds at Jan 28, 2008,
Ok, i might not.

I'm leaning towards the Seymour Duncan Distortion SH-6 and TB-6 because i really love old rock and metal

Can they go into a strat? and if they can, is it possible to put a single coil between them
Quote by Bartleby

Quote by UncleCthulhu

emg 81, 85, 60 actives. dont get passive emgs..
seymour duncan sh, jazz, tb
seymour duncan blackouts are like copies of the active emg's. they're actually pretty good.
No, we're recommending you to get a new amp because that's where your money will make the biggest difference.

If you're looking to change your tone, you need to look into gettin' a new amp. You don't need to spend 3 grand to get a good amp. You can spend around 300-600 dollars and get a good amp, depending on what you play and where you live.

If you get new pickups now, you'll likely notice a minimal difference or no improvement at all.
If you're willing to spend 80-150 on pickups, you can save up for a new amp.
I want to get the JVM410C because of the versatility, i will be able to afford it so thats not really a worry, and i have a job, so it's all good.

Now, can people stop saying get a new amp because i am planing to
Quote by Bartleby

Quote by UncleCthulhu

Err...

A lot of guitarists, when they start out, including myself, covet really expensive "versatile" gear. However, you end up realizing that you really like a certain kind of music, or you really only like playing with a certain kind of tone. You really don't need to spend 3 grand to get that "Marshall" tone, if that's what you think you're into.

Why put money towards something that's not going to make much of a difference now? Or even anytime in the next two years? Doesn't that seem like a waste to you? In any case , I hope you make the right investment.
Yep, i don't really want the JVM just for the versatility, i really like the sound as well, also I'm a really big fan of Marshall, most guitarists i listen (or all) to use Marshalls. And the JVM is the most versatile i have seen, no bad reviews, it's awsome

Also, i just found some pickups i like, the 59' model, the sound samples sound awesome. Can they go in a squire strat and if they can , is it possible to put a single coil between them?
Quote by Bartleby

Quote by UncleCthulhu

Last edited by Dimster Ds at Jan 28, 2008,
THe '59 will fit if your guitar is routed for humbuckers in the neck and bridge. It may be. You'd have to check under your pickguard.

Aslo, like I said, the "Marshall" tone is achievable through other brands, and certainly for less. Dont forget that you should make purchases if you can justify them. Yeah, I could've saved up for a Mesa Boogie Mark IV...But would I be able to justify the 2 grand? Not really. Not even if I was in a regularly gigging band. IN addition, it would've been overkill. for me, 100 watts of tube power is way too much in a band situation.
Well, my strat has 3 single coils, it has been like that since i bought it, i haven't modded it except for some stickers here and there. I'm not sure if it will fit humbuckers but if it can't, i'll get single coil pickups, and i will get someone to fit them for me
Quote by Bartleby

Quote by UncleCthulhu

i use seymour duncan jazzbuckers they are my favorite,
i use a mesa boogie mark 4
Ok, i will one time, but I'll have to do it if I'm changing strings or something, what am i meant to look for to see if i can do a HSH combo?
Quote by Bartleby

Quote by UncleCthulhu

Quote by Ghold125
dont get the dimebucker, WAY to much treble.

In that case, if you don't want lots of treble, don't get it. I recommended it because I like loads of treble, which is why it sounded best to me.
Gear:
-Ibanez S470 DXQM (Blue)
-Roland Cube 30X
Ideally, you get pickups to tailor the tone coming out of your amp.

This is why people suggest getting a new amp first, because it doesn't make sense to spend money on something that may not give you the sound you want in the future when you upgrade.

The same applies for toneshaping pedals
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Ideally, you get pickups to tailor the tone coming out of your amp.

This is why people suggest getting a new amp first, because it doesn't make sense to spend money on something that may not give you the sound you want in the future when you upgrade.

The same applies for toneshaping pedals

Exactly.

Pickups are for tweaking your tone, not radically changing it. You tweak your tone after you've already got an amp that gets you pretty close to your ideal tone.