Hi guys,

I currently have a USA strat with Tex-Mex Pickups, but i find them a bit to "middy", not enough high end single coil strat sparkle. So i think i would need something with a little less output (because more output = more mids, right?). The Fender website says that the Texmex have more output than the Texas Specials (which sound quite humbuckerlike) Can anyone recommend some single coil pickups? I was looking at the fender CS '54 (which ought to give me a nice David Gilmour tone, or at least something to start with to get his tone) and the CS '69 (Hendrix-like).
I play the guitar through a boss gt-8 and a Marshall DSL201 tube combo. I play mainly classic rock-blues. (think Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Cream, ...). I'm a HUGE fan of David Gilmour (Pink Floyd), i'd kill my grandma to get his tone.

Thanks!
budget and location? (affects prices)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Donka
Hi guys,

I currently have a USA strat with Tex-Mex Pickups, but i find them a bit to "middy", not enough high end single coil strat sparkle. So i think i would need something with a little less output (because more output = more mids, right?). The Fender website says that the Texmex have more output than the Texas Specials (which sound quite humbuckerlike) Can anyone recommend some single coil pickups? I was looking at the fender CS '54 (which ought to give me a nice David Gilmour tone, or at least something to start with to get his tone) and the CS '69 (Hendrix-like).
I play the guitar through a boss gt-8 and a Marshall DSL201 tube combo. I play mainly classic rock-blues. (think Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Cream, ...). I'm a HUGE fan of David Gilmour (Pink Floyd), i'd kill my grandma to get his tone.

Thanks!

I think now days David Gilmour uses EMG's. He had different pickups for different time periods. If it's pink floyd you are most interested in, then what albums?
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
I think now days David Gilmour uses EMG's. He had different pickups for different time periods. If it's pink floyd you are most interested in, then what albums?

He only used EMGs live and no longer does because he finds that they don't sound enough like a strat and he only used them in the first place because they're noiseless, now that other companies offer the same technology with better strat-like tone he uses those.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I live in Belgium, guitar accessories are quite expensive here. I consider having them shipped from the US.
I know Gilmour used EMG's from the mid-80's until just before Live8. He used the active EMG's because his regular passice pups, picked up too much hum and noise from the -very extensive- lighting rig Pink Floyd used. On Live8 and the On An Island recording sessions and tour, he used his trademark black strat again, with pickups he got from Seymour Duncan himself when he still was working for Fender (must be sometime in the seventies). They're probably custom made and unique. So i'm not looking for exact the same pickups as his, but rather something bright and very stratty to have a good base for building the right tone. In particular, i'm looking for a very bright neck pickup, with not too much mids (much less than my Tex-Mex's have).
Thanks for your replies!

cheers,
Ever seen the site gilmourish.com? Check that out. The guy who owns it gives a lot of info about Gilmour's tone, including pickups. Gilmour also gets a lot of his tone from his pedals too. If I recall correctly he always has his amps clean then uses an OD pedal to dirty it up. Right now he's into the Cornish Muff pedals which can get a bit pricey. Also depends which era of Floyd you want to play. I found that when I played my Dyna Comp through a Strat it gave me a good Shine On You Crazy Diamond tone. So definitely check into pedals too.
Also you're right the Texas pickups won't give you what you're looking for. I'm not sure what to suggest. Definitely not EMG's because like you said he only used those live and you gotta remember his black Strat was purchased sometime in 1970. So the Custom Shop '69 pickups may very well be the ones. The only way you can be more certain is when Fender release the Gilmour signature Strat later this year apparently and see what pup's they put in it. Good luck!
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
Ever seen the site gilmourish.com? Check that out. The guy who owns it gives a lot of info about Gilmour's tone, including pickups. Gilmour also gets a lot of his tone from his pedals too. If I recall correctly he always has his amps clean then uses an OD pedal to dirty it up. Right now he's into the Cornish Muff pedals which can get a bit pricey. Also depends which era of Floyd you want to play. I found that when I played my Dyna Comp through a Strat it gave me a good Shine On You Crazy Diamond tone. So definitely check into pedals too.
Also you're right the Texas pickups won't give you what you're looking for. I'm not sure what to suggest. Definitely not EMG's because like you said he only used those live and you gotta remember his black Strat was purchased sometime in 1970. So the Custom Shop '69 pickups may very well be the ones. The only way you can be more certain is when Fender release the Gilmour signature Strat later this year apparently and see what pup's they put in it. Good luck!

That might be the best thing I could do, if i'm not buying the Sig Strat (I'll be needing to strangle my piggy bank).
I really do love his 80's and 90's sound. Though i'm liking his on an island sound more and more, it reminds me a lot of his live sound on animals-wall tours.
Yea I like his Pulse tone a lot which ironically is him using EMG's. Sorrow on Pulse especially the beginning is awesome. Having said that I don't know, could still think about the EMG's mainly because I see it as trying to achieve someones live tone rather then studio tone. There are too many tricks being pulled during mixing that makes it difficult. I also love his Live at Prince Albert Hall DVD tone. Not sure if you've seen it but its awesome. When they played Echoes all the way through it just blew my mind how well it sounded and how tight the band was. Maybe try and find some sound clips of the Custom '54 and Custom '69 pickups then go from there. Oh try and email the guy from gilmourish.com he's a nice guy. I emailed him once with a stuipid question about Gilmour's picks and he responded within a few days, so yea try that too :P

EDIT: See I just contradicted myself about the EMG's. Dammit lol
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Jan 29, 2008,
fender custom shop '69 single coil pickups are the best pickups i've ever heard, you can't go wrong with them.