i had over 7100 songs on my ipod... and suddenly the computer decides to crash while i was literally one second from done disconnecting my ipod. i dont know how to describe this feeling. its literally the exact same way i felt when i had to move on to the other side of the world, far from everything i knew. theres just this immense feeling of...loss. i never thought id feel this bad over losing some songs.

is there any way to recover my lost mp3s? i had to delete most of the files because they where taking up too much memory out of my hard drive, and i really dont want to have to download the songs back.
Quote by joeyj123
there are 11 words in 'the alphabet'
u should feel better... now you can start listening to legally purchased music. but still... sorry for that, i know i would hate to lose my music.
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
Do a Roll Back on your computer, maybe?
Quote by bananahammock
How many mods does it take ban half of the pit?
one, Carmel.

▼▼▼▼▼▼
▼▼ ▲ ▲▼▼
▼▼▼▼
▲ ▲▲ ▲
**** dude, same thing happened to me, theres nothing you can do but re-build in both situations

xxx
Well you downloaded the music illegally without paying for it so...

i had a similar problem. solved it by downloading some software that took the songs off the ipod and put them on the computer. if they are lost off the ipod as well, then you're screwed
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Quote by Sabu
Well you downloaded the music illegally without paying for it so...

Where in his original post did he say he used Kazaa/Limewire/Whatever? He may have used iTunes and purchased them, which would explain why it's so fecking painful.
The one with the royal sceptre and gown

Quote by leaping badger
i like drag

Member of the "I died a little inside when Steve Irwin died...RIP" club. Put in your sig to join.
why would the songs be gone from your computer just because it crashed? they should still all be there somewhere.
damn, people, quit being ****ing elitists! lost music sucks regardless of legality, he's just asking for help with his situation, not to be crucified for conceivably 'illegally' downloading music

to threadstarter, so the music is completely gone from your ipod? if it was only 1 second or so from completion, most if not all (but one) of your songs should be there, and in that case, you should get ipod to computer ripping software.. i recommend senuti (if you use a mac)
if not, torrents are the way to go. full cds in a short amount of time
this sort of thing happened to me, except it was my laptop was stolen, and all i had as backup was a corrupting ipod, which ended up destroying 400 or so songs.. but anyways, good luck with that
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'

Quote by spoonylove90

im not left handed i just have a mac btw.

Quote by NaivexLi
Yes...I named my penis Darth Vader.
i didnt get my music illegally, what i mean to say is that im not paying for a few hundred albums all over again, so if i have to, ill downlaod them. where did i ever say i downloaded my music to begin with?

edit: when i checked what was still in my ipod, it said that the same amount of memory was there, but instead "music" it was "other"
Quote by joeyj123
Last edited by 1h81337 at Jan 28, 2008,
Quote by 1h81337
i didnt get my music illegally, what i mean to say is that im not paying for a few hundred albums all over again, so if i have to, ill downlaod them. where did i ever say i downloaded my music to begin with?

But then you should still have all the cds then.
Quote by soulflyV
But then you should still have all the cds then.

you can only take so many cds with you on international flights before your carry on becomes discouragingly heavy...and for the most part, i sell my cds after i put them on my computer anyway, so its gonna be such a hassle to get all these songs back, either legally or otherwise.

a system restore wont help, none of the files are on my computer

thanks to those that tried to help, ive found an ipod restore software that im using.
Quote by joeyj123
wait... you were transferring the files from your computer to your ipod, but the files were never on your computer????
all your files are still on there. The problem is the library has become corrupt (a major flaw in iPod design methinks). If you view all hidden files and folders in Windwows Explorer, and look at the contents of your iPod, all your music will still be there, but every song has a randomly generated 4 character name. If you can copy these to your compluter, add them in to your iTunes library then import them back in to your iPod, you may well get lucky.

Also, do not let iTunes run whilst doing this, as I think it will wipe all the music on your iPod because there is no referance to it in it the iPod's library.

If your not too happy doing it this way, get a program called iDump and use that to copy music to your PC.

Things like system restore (which was suggested above) will not help you here.

To post above - not all people have the liberty of having enough HDD space on PC to hold all music. My old PC had a smaller HDD than my iPod!