Page 1 of 2
the file sharing war of course.
now i live in Canada so this doesn't really effect me but i thought i would tell the American pit

apparently the music industry has given up...

heres the story

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article3261591.ece
EQUIPMENT:
Squire P-bass - d'addario EXL230
Fender rumble 15
Epiphone Thunder Bird Reverse IV - Ernie ball super slinky
Vibe V-40b
Jerzey Acoustic bass - d'addario EXL190
KORG AX10B Bass Modeling signal Processor
Russian Big Muff
seems like a good move by the music industry (thought I'd never say that), but I'll probably stick with torrents for the most part.
Last edited by rush5757 at Jan 28, 2008,
I would say it's more like the music industry attempting to monopolize the peer to peer networks and make one of them and only one the legitimate site to steal from them.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I still won't download illegially. I want my favorite bands to be around in 10 years to still be making albums.
wait...dude...this is good for listeners...but that is gonna be a HUGE thron in our side if any of us are planning on being musicians
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by bi-ah!
wait...dude...this is good for listeners...but that is gonna be a HUGE thron in our side if any of us are planning on being musicians

are you serious? The huge thorn was napster, and now everything that has followed. The number of people who actually download this software will be way lower than limewire numbers or anything else. I don't expect this to get very popular, to be honest.
Ehh, I just got the Qtrax thing, and it really isnt that great. All it is is a website that you have to view with this program called SOng Bird, which is really buggy and hast even reached v1.0.

I cant download any songs at all through the qtrax p2p thing, and overall it just sucks. I wouldnt recommend it at all.

Overall this is my opinion: i think Qtrax is a pretty cool guy. eh is buggy and slow and doesnt afraid of anything.
This is a bad move imo. I still encourage you guys to support your favorite bands and artists.
I hear it's a bitch ton of ads though. And you cannot burn cds of the music, only add them to a music device like iPod.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Artists don't make much money from album sales, the main purpose of album sales is to promote the band's music for live shows. If anything, this will help the artists, record companies and listeners.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru
Artists don't make much money from album sales.

Yeah, from what I hear they get a pretty small percentage, like under a quarter.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
Quote by Hellish_Wolf
Yeah, from what I hear they get a pretty small percentage, like under a quarter.

That's because the money is meant to pay back the investment made by those involved in their contract.

Quote by Hellish_Wolf

I think with Radiohead's deal with EMI, they got roughly a quid for every album sold.
Ah, excellent, a decade of people stealing music has ended with artists being, just in general, paid less money by their record companies. Fantastic.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
dude cool to hear but not cool for the next generation of musicians, us.....
well we'd just hav 2 cope wit it, what can a bunch of dickheads in UG do? apparently the music industry lost.
Your dreams are all out of focus;
Knock you up when you're feeling down.
And all the world feels so unreal...

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Hitler was really smart and could have been a good leader but he was kind of a douche to the Jews.
Quote by Hellish_Wolf

even lower i think. It's mainly the record labels that are fighting this because they make all the money.
sup?
people will do it anyway, even it its not legal.

the music industry is just finally realising that with such an easy way to get free music without being caught, people will not buy records.
Quote by Teen Spirit
dude cool to hear but not cool for the next generation of musicians, us.....
well we'd just hav 2 cope wit it, what can a bunch of dickheads in UG do? apparently the music industry lost.

Would you expect to live off just CD sales? No tours hmm?

Meh, when I start gaining ground with my band, we'll just tour a bunch. Live shows are gonna make you more money than CDs will, anyways.
The notion of Canada not having any anti-piracy laws is kind of an outdated one.
Quote by meh!
Ah, excellent, a decade of people stealing music has ended with artists being, just in general, paid less money by their record companies. Fantastic.

Exactly. I say more bands should go the way of Radiohead and self release albums, they made a hell of a lot of money out of In Rainbows.
I don't understand it... if they dump the laws, then loads more people are going to start, because they'll think it's ok.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Thought you meant the war on Iraq.

And didn't Bush like give his last speech last night to the American people?
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Quote by gallagher2006
I still won't download illegially. I want my favorite bands to be around in 10 years to still be making albums.

you realize they make all their money from merch and touring right?

hopefully the giant music industry as we know it will disappear. with home recording and making songs available for download, this could be the first arena of real distributism in the modern world.
#DTWD
"Qtrax files contain Digital Rights Management software, allowing the company to see how many times a song has been downloaded and played. Artists, record companies and publishers will be paid in proportion to the popularity of their music, while also taking a cut of advertising revenues"

To some of the earlier posts saying this screws over anyone who wants to become a musician. It may not be as good as real CD sales, but at least you will be getting paid more here than from people pirating your music.
if you like the band, you should support them and buy the albums.

But free distribution of music may be a definately gain in popularity for alot of bands. Those who put out albums that no one wants to buy because they haven't heard of them will now be heard?
Well I feel more positive about this than other people obviously do.

I think this is finally a bigger step toward a more modern music industry. Despite what anyone feels, I feel like buying music is a thing in the past. It can actually hold some bands back if you think about it. I'm happy about this news.
Quote by H^2

Wise words Trashfan.

trashfan
Quote by Chubbychunks
It's not going to be that great. Although particle physics does give me a hadron.
scrap record companies, let bands work hard and fund their own records. The cream will rise to the top, mediocrity will not be able to survive. Live music will thrive (bands only way to earn money to record)

realistically bands don't need the months they spend in expensive recording studio's. If songs were written and arrangements worked out in cheaper rehearsal space a good band would only need a few days in a recording studio to get an album cut.

I hate over-production in music, if bands were forced to spend less on that 'polished' sound the albums would probably sound 10x better. I'm not saying no production, but alot of music is made extremely robotically these days (each instrument recorded separately) People should try the method Maiden are using these days, full band recording of the song THEN overdub on top of that. A Matter Of Life and Death? sounds great.

EDIT: also, Radioheads 'pay what you like' thing is genius for established bands, They have their own studios's bought and paid for from previous success, so the actual recording of the album is pretty cheap (compared to a noob band who have to rent space and pay for mixing/mastering, usually paid for by record companies, and costing a ****-load), no record companies take a cut, so they probably earn about as much off an album as they did with a record company, but the fans don't get butt raped.
Last edited by freedoms_stain at Jan 29, 2008,
**** business man, downloading is fine with me.
Its art, get the **** over it, you should be happy someones listening to your music.
Oh well, i still prefer vinyl over mp3 **** anyday.
I still will buy the albums, and always will. I just sample it first.
I'm not sure what I feel on this. Music stores will lose all of their business.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
Page 1 of 2