hi, i'm looking for some new pickups. i recently bought an les paul style acrylic guitar from ebay. it looks pretty ridiculous, but after a setup, honestly, it plays pretty well and sustains like a demon. i mean, i like this thing to the point that i'm actually playing it quite a lot. the pickups in it are pretty poor though, frankly.

therefore, i'm looking for suggestions on new pickups for it. in terms of cost, the entire thing has only cost me about £60 so far (and thats including the fresh set of strings i put on it), so i really don't want to spend loads on them. i will be buying on ebay. used is good.

in terms of the sounds i'm after, i play in an indie rock band. i want chunkiness out of this thing. mids are tasty. i want clear higher strings, but not chiming: my other guitar does that. for overdrive, i like things to sound noisy and aggressive. basically, i want something midrangey and pretty aggressive, but i mostly play clean, so i need it to be aggressive in a chunky, midrangey way, not in a 'this is horribly unbalanced and only works for distortion' kinda way. the guitar has an acrylic body, so although it sustains well its a bit 'lifeless' i guess. so i need something to get the life back.

to prefigure the inevitable question of 'what amp do you have', i'll be playing it through a marshall avt thing. it isn't mine. it isn't ideal. but its what is in the band room i use. i tend to borrow it for gigs/use some other bands amp. no doubt someone will say 'oh, you should be saving for a new amp', but honestly, the way my finances tend to work, i can justify buying some cheapish new pickups. i can't justify buying a new amp i won't have much occasion to use. right now, i'm fairly content using these things. it isnt a great amp, but it doesn't cost me anything to use and i can bear the tone, with some tweaking. at some point, yes, i'll pick up an amp, but for now i'd like some advice on how to get the best sound from the equipment i am using.

my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Jan 28, 2008,
so i need it to be aggressive in a chunk, midrangey way, not in a 'this is horribly unbalanced and only works for distortion' kinda way.

duncan invader

Have you thought about contacting CorduroyEW and getting a set from him? He gives a discount to UG members.
Hi, I'm Peter
Dimarzio Fred in the bridge, tasty mids, clear highs. It's a mid output pickup so it'll put some life into that chunck o' plastic without being overkill. It'll get a smooth sound but with a little drive can achieve the chunk you are looking for. Satch used to use it back in the day till he had Dimarzio upgrade it to the Mo' Joe. It may be all you need but if you like you can also add the PAF in the neck for a nice tight combination. Great sound out of that pickup as well, I have a PAF in the neck of one of my Ibanez rg 350's, sweet sound, tasty mids, nice and mellow so I paired it with a steves special. Great Pickups
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
i'm definitely considering cord's pickups, but i'd like some other ideas of what would be suitable.

thank you for the suggestions so far. also, i should have mentioned, whilst i am ultimately, i think, looking to upgrade both pickups, right now the priority is probably the neck, since i just generally prefer neck pickups...
i'd say either contact cordy, or try iron gear or swinesheads. those are probably your best-value options in the UK, of which I'm aware, anyway. i've only tried swinesheads, but hear good things about the others. i'd email them with the tones you want for their suggestions.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dirk Gently
Have you thought about contacting CorduroyEW and getting a set from him? He gives a discount to UG members.

Excellent idea. He has a great idea of what you're looking for. The man knows pickups. I gave him a very detailed email when I first order from him, and got exactly what I wanted from his single coils.
We're currently in talks about what to do about my humbuckers.

And yes, he does give a 10% discount.

And yes, Swineshead and Iron Gear are also options. I think Iron Gear also gives a discount to UG members...not sure..
what's this about not-so-respectable UG members?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oh, I believe the deal with Cord and Tele pickups is that when he was starting to make his pickups, he wanted to beta test them. So the idea was that he send them one user, and that user would forward them to the next..And so on. I believe he never got any of his prototype Tele pickups back. Nor did they make it very far across the chain of users. I think he did okay with humbuckers and Strat single coils..

seriously though, that'd suck.

he actually asked me to test some high output humbuckers around christmas, but I had to turn him down as that was when I had my burst eardrum and generally wasn't feeling too great.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i'm pretty sure i'm gonna get an iron gear for the neck. right now, they match my finances, and they seem like nice pickups. i may get a rock monkey for the bridge at some point in the not too distant future. depends how much money i'm going to end up losing by working an internship over the summer
Quote by forsaknazrael
Oh yeah, his Beefbuckers. That's another reason he hasn't gotten to Tele pickups or P-90's. Funds. He invested a bunch of money in doing those. Sourcing the neodymium and whatnot, I guess..

yeah.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
i'm pretty sure i'm gonna get an iron gear for the neck. right now, they match my finances, and they seem like nice pickups. i may get a rock monkey for the bridge at some point in the not too distant future. depends how much money i'm going to end up losing by working an internship over the summer

remember there's a UG 10% discount... do a search on irongear pickups, the dude behind them should come up, it's in his sig.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
in case anyone is interested, i went for the irongear rolling mill. i'm really happy with it. everything sounds much thicker, and has a much greater clarity. i'd recommend. not used it live yet, but that will change tomorrow. also, we're going into a studio at some point in the next few weeks. it might get an airing, in which case clips will (of course) be forthcoming.
sweet! most people who have gone for them seem to be pretty pleased. thanks for letting us know, and if you do get some clips, don't hesitate to bump this!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?