First off, the distortion I'm looking for is EXACTLY like the distortion at the beginning of this song. Please listen so you can know what I'm going for.

Now,
Listening to clips of the ValveKing 112's distortion, it seems around there, but not as sharp. What would be the best way to achieve that distortion?

I thought of a few ways.

- Change the Pre-Amp tubes (12AX7s) to TungSols

- Replace the speaker with a Jensen MOD12. I know there was someone who dropped
this in their ValveKing. Hopefully they can comment on whether I can achieve this
distortion with that speaker?

- Get an EQ pedal. Increasing the last few bars to sharpen up the sound?

Please comment on which way you think will be the best.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
im kinda interested in this myself actually although i have a royal 8 instead of the 112
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Ash Lite Stratocaster
Ibanez ac70 acoustic
Ovation Celebrity
Fender Blues Jr
planet waves tuner-ts9dx tubescreamer-metal muff-boss ce-5-delta labs dd1 delay
Quote by xWhitechapelx
Maxon OD-808 overdrive pedal as pre-amp boost, or any tube screamer would do

135 Bucks :/

Im not looking at spending any more than $70 atm.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
135 Bucks :/

Im not looking at spending any more than $70 atm.

digitech Bad monkey is 50 dollars, same thing just not NEAR Near as good as the Maxon, hmm you'll by something thats crap with $70, then wish you saved little longer to get one of the best ones to get for boosting VK
Eq pedal has been the best thing i have found for changing the distortion up on mine. I have a tubescreamer hooked up and it does adjust the tone a little but hell so does your tone knob. It doesnt do much to really nail a particular distortion, so i say go with the EQ i know for a fact that works and works on the valvekings. Now you might have to save some cash and get the M108 MXR its pretty much the best one i have seen and has the versatility to accomplish it.
Out of all the things you mentioned, I'd suggest first trying an EQ pedal in the effects loop to try and fine tune your sound. It's the least labor intensive (easiest) thing to try without having to crack the thing open to replace tubes or speakers. I'd consider changing those if you're still not getting what you want through the EQ.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael
Out of all the things you mentioned, I'd suggest first trying an EQ pedal in the effects loop to try and fine tune your sound. It's the least labor intensive (easiest) thing to try without having to crack the thing open to replace tubes or speakers. I'd consider changing those if you're still not getting what you want through the EQ.

not if you need more gain and bite for lower volumes an EQ does help but even so a overdrive boost helps
Wouldnt an overdrive just increase the gain? Im not really looking for a gain boost, I'm looking for more of a tone sharpen.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

I'd say EQ, thats what I'm going to get for mine first.

I'm torn between the Danelectro Fish N Chips, Boss GE7 and the 10 band BYOC one.

FnC seems like the cheapskate option, GE7 the "industry standard" and BYOC probably the best quality and value for money (10band as well, the other 2 are 7 band)
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Axeman99
I'd say EQ, thats what I'm going to get for mine first.

I'm torn between the Danelectro Fish N Chips, Boss GE7 and the 10 band BYOC one.

FnC seems like the cheapskate option, GE7 the "industry standard" and BYOC probably the best quality and value for money (10band as well, the other 2 are 7 band)

the Fish n chips is pretty good, but later on its always good to get a good MXR 10 Band EQ
The MXR M108 also has level controls and will boost frequencies and not just take them away from the mix. Thats one of the things i love about that pedal and it has a gain adjustment if you need a little more bite.
Quote by xWhitechapelx
not if you need more gain and bite for lower volumes an EQ does help but even so a overdrive boost helps

I didn't think he was looking for more gain, but just a better way to fine tune the tone he was already getting.

If he's looking for more gain, then yes, i would agree an overdrive pedal.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael
I didn't think he was looking for more gain, but just a better way to fine tune the tone he was already getting.

If he's looking for more gain, then yes, i would agree an overdrive pedal.

yeah, I know what you mean now haha