Page 1 of 4
When do they need to be in by? I'm gonna try to record a solo, but I might not have time, as I won't have my computer that I'll record with for a few days, its being repaired.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

I will not be able to join. I have trouble going on in my life and I cba to join this. Good luck all, sorry for voting.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by branny1982
what is the usual timescale? maybe to be done by the sunday after next? then there are 2 weekends for people to go at?
That would be Sunday 9th Feb.

sooner? later?

2 weeks is about right, but personally I'd allow until the Friday after the 9th, ie till 15th since it probs wont get mixed down until the weekend.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Nice jamming EDG.

I will have to wait til later in the week to get a go at this one.

Blues is not an area i have explored yet, although i love the sound you get from the minor blues scale

-o-----o-
-o-----o-
-o---o-o-
-o---o-
-o-o-o-
-o-----o-

i think thats right ^. I imagine this is the type of scale to apply?

i dont think i even know what a 12 bar blues is!
I am feeling a bit too lazy, so would anybody possibly be willing to post the chord structure of this song. It sounds a bit different than the 12-bar pattern I usually use and it would be appreciated if anybody (mainly edg, since he knows for sure. he made it after all ) would post it. Thanks.

Nevermind, I'm just retarded...

(it's A D A A | D D A A | E D A E with a couple parts where it lingers a bit or jumps into a new chord a bit early)
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Last edited by seedmole at Jan 28, 2008,
Quote by branny1982
Nice jamming EDG.

I will have to wait til later in the week to get a go at this one.

Blues is not an area i have explored yet, although i love the sound you get from the minor blues scale

-o-----o-
-o-----o-
-o---o-o-
-o---o-
-o-o-o-
-o-----o-

i think thats right ^. I imagine this is the type of scale to apply?

i dont think i even know what a 12 bar blues is!

Thanks, TBH I'm in a bit of a soloing slump. Not to make excuses -- you gotta go
with you got at the moment.

That scale would work. I actually didn't use it strictly a whole lot. I mixed it up a
good bit with A, D, E Mixoldian or major pents, arpeggios and some chromaticism.

For me, the highlight was the 1st solo right at the third verse. It's a pattern I've
been working on from John McLaughlin's "This is the way I do it" DVD. He calls
them linear triads (he's very big on triads as I tend to be), but to me it's just a
2 string pattern that just kind of outlines a triad. It climbs up the neck diatonically
on 2 strings. First time I really used it and it sounded pretty cool over the blues.
Quote by sinan90
2 weeks is about right, but personally I'd allow until the Friday after the 9th, ie till 15th since it probs wont get mixed down until the weekend.

So you still doing the mixing then, or what? Anyway 15th of feb is a good date IMO.

Anyway I'll try to record something asap :P

Talk to you guys later!

Edit: Bran I got u'r mail :P So I guess I'll have to get to work
Last edited by pandora_grunt at Jan 29, 2008,
>_>

Do not tell my doctor I played my guitar... But Ive emailed mine in.

<_<

I know Im not supposed to play but the backing track was too much to resist.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Question.

Do we get to solo over the whole thing??
Or just 12 bars? I don't know the tempo/time signature and I'm a retard so I can't figure out the number of bars
Wow, I was going to try a take over this, but to be honest its next to impossible for a couple of reasons.

1. The bass line doesn't match the rhythm guitar for the 1st 4 bars ( this repeats each time through the 12 bars)

The rythem guitar plays: ( standard 12 bar blues pattern)
I IV I I

The bass plays: ( ????????)
I IV IV I

2. The drums have a different feel than the rhythm guitar.

Drums are straight 8ths while the guitar is a shuffle.

Anyway, not trying to be a jerk. Its hard to solo when the BT is so out of whack, both rhythmically and harmonically. sorry to bring it up. Dont you guys notice this as well??
Nope... I found it fine to solo over.
Quote by GuitarMunky

Anyway, not trying to be a jerk. Its hard to solo when the BT is so out of whack, both rhythmically and harmonically. sorry to bring it up. Dont you guys notice this as well??

LOL. Well, I didn't have any problems with it. I can't claim it's the best piece of
backing track ever as I just threw it together in a couple of minutes. It seemed good
enough for the purpose. Originally I recorded it with 5 other tracks for the
"sampler". I was going to redo each one proper, but just didn't feel like it. It's the same 12 bars looped 3x.

EDIT: I listened to just the BT again. Not to be a jerk, but that's pretty damn picky.
If I had thought it be difficult to 1 min solo over that, I wouldn't have submitted it.
Last edited by edg at Jan 30, 2008,
why not just take a professionally done Blues In A backing track?

there are thousands.

http://www.bluesblast.com/j2005/hi_a_65.mp3

there is one, that is good.

if a jam is going to be done, then at least put some decent amount of effort on the track.
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
Quote by edg
LOL. Well, I didn't have any problems with it. I can't claim it's the best piece of
backing track ever as I just threw it together in a couple of minutes. It seemed good
enough for the purpose. Originally I recorded it with 5 other tracks for the
"sampler". I was going to redo each one proper, but just didn't feel like it. It's the same 12 bars looped 3x.

thats cool, I can understand that. I just brought it up, cause I was gonna jam to it. No offense, but there is just no pocket to groove on.... the shuffle vs straight really conflicts big time. Also the D bass note on an A7 makes that part just sound wrong. Anyway, sorry dude, its cool that you make these for people to jam on.

Quote by rich2k4
why not just take a professionally done Blues In A backing track?

there are thousands.

http://www.bluesblast.com/j2005/hi_a_65.mp3

there is one, that is good.

if a jam is going to be done, then at least put some decent amount of effort on the track.

yeah, thats kind of what I was thinking as well.
Quote by rich2k4

I didn't decide and I didn't care if it was used or not. It's not like we're cutting a
CD here. Its a forum of a bunch of people that never met. I lay down some tracks
in 1 take and out the door it goes. No fuss, no muss. I'll spend a few minutes on it,
but that's about it. Besides, I don't think I'm the only one allowed to submit these.
Quote by GuitarMunky
thats cool, I can understand that. I just brought it up, cause I was gonna jam to it. No offense, but there is just no pocket to groove on.... the shuffle vs straight really conflicts big time. Also the D bass note on an A7 makes that part just sound wrong. Anyway, sorry dude, its cool that you make these for people to jam on.

Haha. And *you're* the one always complaining about "condescending" attitudes
around here. Might be mirror time...

If you can't muster up anything because of less than perfect backing track doesn't
get your groove on, no need to apologize.
Quote by edg
Haha. And *you're* the one always complaining about "condescending" attitudes
around here. Might be mirror time...

If you can't muster up anything because of less than perfect backing track doesn't
get your groove on, no need to apologize.

I wasn't talking down to you. I was merely pointing out the fact that this backing track has some serious issues. Im sorry if that offends you.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jan 30, 2008,
Oh, I'm not offended by that.

You could have just decided not to participate. I wasn't expecting it to have to
pass QC. But you had to descend from your high throne and say "doesn't anyone
else see all the warts on this!? Am I the ONLY sane one here!". Then hold your
nose and walk away

If it's just a click track with a 1 strum per beat chord, you can solo over it. It's all
what you bring to it.

We've all been having a bit of nonserious fun with this for a while now with all
different levels participating. Everyone's been real nice and supportive and not
taking themselves too seriously, or too critical of others, so its been a nice safe
little device for people to participate in whatever they want to do. That is until
you crashed the party. Now it's supposed to meet some *standards*. "If it doesn't
have a "pocket to groove on" it's beneath my playing and I want to make sure
everyone knows it." Now, *thats* what I find offensive.
shall we just try to remember the point of these jams...

FUN.

personally, i wouldn't know if it was right or wrong, but i don't see how it makes any difference... it doesn't go out of key or anything.

The idea is to get everybody playing their own lead over the track, attention is to the contrasting styles in the lead more than the backing track on the final product.

/please end

ed- agreed, the main focus of this idea is to get people trying new things, it is not a competition thread. Nobody wants any judgement on it. ...Except for good ones
Last edited by branny1982 at Jan 30, 2008,
... I still dont know what the problem is...

Its a backing track... It might not be perfect but it was fine to solo over...

I would do another one but my doctor has said "Nein playing da guitar- strudle for zix months."

Im not happy.
Ive seen that on youtube. Its an awesome video.

Ive seen a dude play with a spoon in his mouth. That too was an awesome video.
Quote by edg
Oh, I'm not offended by that.

You could have just decided not to participate. I wasn't expecting it to have to
pass QC. But you had to descend from your high throne and say "doesn't anyone
else see all the warts on this!? Am I the ONLY sane one here!". Then hold your
nose and walk away

If it's just a click track with a 1 strum per beat chord, you can solo over it. It's all
what you bring to it.

We've all been having a bit of nonserious fun with this for a while now with all
different levels participating. Everyone's been real nice and supportive and not
taking themselves too seriously, or too critical of others, so its been a nice safe
little device for people to participate in whatever they want to do. That is until
you crashed the party. Now it's supposed to meet some *standards*. "If it doesn't
have a "pocket to groove on" it's beneath my playing and I want to make sure
everyone knows it." Now, *thats* what I find offensive.

sorry for crashing your party. I thought it was open to all, and i thought a guy that has no trouble giving advice, would be able to take some without getting offended. I guess I was wrong.
It's hard so solo over a track that you can't tell if it's swung or not. The drums are in straight eighths. The guitars are swung (or close to it). It's good work, I'd just put a different drum track underneath it.

Anyone want a trumpet/trombone solo?
Quote by GuitarMunky
Wow, I was going to try a take over this, but to be honest its next to impossible for a couple of reasons.

1. The bass line doesn't match the rhythm guitar for the 1st 4 bars ( this repeats each time through the 12 bars)

The rythem guitar plays: ( standard 12 bar blues pattern)
I IV I I

The bass plays: ( ????????)
I IV IV I

2. The drums have a different feel than the rhythm guitar.

Drums are straight 8ths while the guitar is a shuffle.

Yeah, you're right. When I listen to it, I just didn't here any meat. And I thought there was some dragging.
Quit bitching.

Im starting to think people are not happy with what they are playing over it and making excuses.

Deal with what you got people.
Quote by GuitarMunky
sorry for crashing your party. I thought it was open to all, and i thought a guy that has no trouble giving advice, would be able to take some without getting offended. I guess I was wrong.

LOL. No in fact, you always seem to be right.

Anyway, to whoever wants to participate or not, as far as I'm aware you are
completely free to submit your own BT for voting rather than suffer the indignities
of having to play to a crappy one as the price for participating.

I think I'm just the only one that took a little time to make a few that I thought would be easy for everyone to improv over, so I'm afraid that's all you got at the moment. Or if you find its more fun to "give advice" do that instead.
Quote by edg
LOL. No in fact, you always seem to be right.

Anyway, to whoever wants to participate or not, as far as I'm aware you are
completely free to submit your own BT for voting rather than suffer the indignities
of having to play to a crappy one as the price for participating.

I think I'm just the only one that took a little time to make a few that I thought would be easy for everyone to improv over, so I'm afraid that's all you got at the moment. Or if you find its more fun to "give advice" do that instead.

ok cool. Im glad your not offended.
Quote by coffeeguy9

Anyone want a trumpet/trombone solo?

After my organ cameo last time, i was considering some trumpeting on my entry!
The trumpeter i had in mind has no recording equipment.... so it's all yours!

The track is fine, better than fine.

Lets just get back to it shall we
Page 1 of 4