and unfortunately, i have a limited budget of $1200 (US) to spend on the computer itself.

now, i'm choosing a macbook for a few key reasons, so lets try and keep this away from a macbook-hate-fest, as i know there are a fair amount of mac haters in here

anyways, I'm mostly getting this for audio editing, sequencing, recording, basically everything audio.

what i need YOUR help for, is deciding what i need in that macbook (i.e. processing power, ram, hard drive, etc.)

i'm no computer buff, so i know a few of you guys will be able to give me a hand!

thanks so much, in advance!

I'll include one i'm looking at so you get what i'm saying:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/sys/551836413.html
Hey... Not trying to be a Mac Hater, but there are several sound programs available on PCs, the best of which being Soundforge. A good PC to look at would be a Vaio or a HP Pavillion... Sorry if I am not much help though.
Usually 1 gig of RAM is a bit useless for audio. But you may be able to upgrade that to 2 gigs of RAM. Other than that, it looks decent.

But I'm a PC Guy myself.
Quote by jolson27
yeah, i'm planning on upgrading my RAM.

should i be worried about the processing power? i dont know exactly what that constitutes for and affects.

You've gotta fine processor, but upgrade the RAM. This looks like a good deal tbh. As much as I hate Mac though, but keeping away from that aspect, its a damn fine machine once you get 2 gigs of RAM in there. It should be plenty good for Audio.
Quote by jolson27
what does the processor correspond to? i've always been curious

It basically corresponds to what you do on the computer. Like since your doing recording a lot of music and doing a lot of audio work. You need a decent CPU, but if all you were doing is word documents and internet, you really don't need a decent CPU processor. RAM is more so your computer doesn't crash and you can multi task and whatnot. BTW What Recording software are you going to be using?
Before you purchase make sure he includes the install CDs with the computer, and also run Apple Hardware Test (it's included on one of the install CDs).

If everything doesn't pass, don't buy it.

1GB of RAM should be about enough for what you want to do albeit maybe a little slow; you might want to ask if it's 1x1GB or 2x512MB. 1x1GB is more easily expandable than 2x512MB.

-SD
Mac is really good for sound editing, but you can get an incredible PC for 1200 dollars these days, especially through something like dell or hp where you can build your own...and then get audio recording software for it. Don't get me wrong, I like both, but I would consider the PC, you can get more power for your money

...Then again you do get Vista with a new PC
i have a dell right now, a fairly high end one, and alllll it's given me has been problems.

thanks SD, that is a lot of help!

I'm going to be using reason for now, and probably garage band until i get something better.

but, what's the deal with running windows apps on a mac? beucase i have FL7 that i use a LOT on my computer, so can that transfer over somehow?
I'm getting a mac for recording soon 2. Once you get it let me know how good it is for recording.
www.youtube.com/jordan123x
Quote by jolson27
i have a dell right now, a fairly high end one, and alllll it's given me has been problems.

I'm going to be using reason for now, and probably garage band until i get something better.

but, what's the deal with running windows apps on a mac? beucase i have FL7 that i use a LOT on my computer, so can that transfer over somehow?

Usually you can download an app dedicated for mac, but by Windows. There's a version of Windows Media Player for Mac, etc. But your best bet would be this :

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Virtual-PC-Mac-7-0/dp/B0002NT16E

Not sure which version you'd need but it does the job for most things. What's FL7 by the by?
Garageband is absolutely brilliant for ameatur recording. You can get almost-studio-sounding quality with a good mic. Don't worry if the mac you get isn't quite what you hoped for in terms of power, either, because with garageband, you can lock a track, storing it, which takes a few seconds, and then that means that it's saved and uses virtually no power playing it back, which means u can add countless tracks to garageband (i've added like 20 or something and easily played them back on my 3-year-old imac) and as long as you're locking them you're fine.
Quote by jolson27

If the MacBook is Intel (vs. PPC), you can run Windows (and/or Linux) using BootCamp.

Also it might be worth it for you to go buy a ~500GB external HD, I got one for Christmas and it cost $120. The amount of space is ridiculous, and it's pretty fast.

Quote by Don_Humpador
What's FL7 by the by?

Fruit Loops I think. It's a drum sequencer.

-SD
FL 7 is a music workstation/softsynth/recording application

its freaking amazing, i reccomend it to anyone.

thanks for all the help guys.

will bootcamp allow me to run fl7, a windows only app, on my mac?

and also, i have the microsoft zune sofware and a zune -cries-, would that work as well?
Quote by jolson27

and also, i have the microsoft zune sofware and a zune -cries-, would that work as well?

Yes. With BootCamp you'll install Windows (which you'll have to buy, unless you have an install disc already), so everything that works on that version of Windows will work as well.

Remember that this is only on Intel Macs. PowerPC's cannot run Windows.

-SD
wow, i've brought i mac this week too! Ordered it Monday and hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow... hope it does... need it for college work
Quote by wlcm2themachine
Mac is really good for sound editing, but you can get an incredible PC for 1200 dollars these days, especially through something like dell or hp where you can build your own...and then get audio recording software for it. Don't get me wrong, I like both, but I would consider the PC, you can get more power for your money

...Then again you do get Vista with a new PC

They are coming out with Service Pack 1 with Vista within the next month, hopefully things are fixed up.
What I did is, I bought the mid spec MacBook, bought a 500GB external hard drive, and bought 2GB RAM for only £40 off www.crucial.com ( I just checked and its only $52), I advise you do exactly the same.

Edit:
Quote by jolson27
FL 7 is a music workstation/softsynth/recording application

its freaking amazing, i reccomend it to anyone.

thanks for all the help guys.

Yes, it will although I have both Ableton Live 6 and Reason 4 on my Mac and I'd pick them over FL any day.

Garageband is brilliant for a beginner, since it's so easy to use and has a shitload of great features...
Last edited by bequickorbedead at Jan 28, 2008,
Quote by bequickorbedead
What I did is, I bought the mid spec MacBook, bought a 500GB external hard drive, and bought 2GB RAM for only £40 off www.crucial.com ( I just checked and its only $52), I advise you do exactly the same.

Edit:

Yes, it will although I have both Ableton Live 6 and Reason 4 on my Mac and I'd pick them over FL any day.

Garageband is brilliant for a beginner, since it's so easy to use and has a shitload of great features...

what would be the mid spec macbook?

and i do have a 40 gig external harddrive, which IS nice.
Quote by jolson27
what would be the mid spec macbook?

and i do have a 40 gig external harddrive, which IS nice.

I can't remember the exact specs, but you know the way on the website there are 3 different MacBooks, its the middle one, at about $1299.

Actually, the exact specs are:
* 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 1GB memory
* 120GB hard drive1
* Double-layer SuperDrive

I really recommend upgrading to 2GB RAM off the website I said above.
Quote by MrGuitar123
You've gotta fine processor, but upgrade the RAM. This looks like a good deal tbh. As much as I hate Mac though, but keeping away from that aspect, its a damn fine machine once you get 2 gigs of RAM in there. It should be plenty good for Audio.

I would say the processors are great (I run a mac mini solo intel core), but I really wish I would saved the $200-something extra for the second processor, because Logic takes so much CPU its not even funny, but then again, I dunno the price range. Wouldn't really recommend doing music on a laptop though cause they're harder to use, which does decrease your workflow (even if only by a little, its best to be able to slam down ideas as fast as possible). But whatever, I wish I had a laptop sometimes.
Quote by bequickorbedead
I can't remember the exact specs, but you know the way on the website there are 3 different MacBooks, its the middle one, at about $1299.

Actually, the exact specs are:
* 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 1GB memory
* 120GB hard drive1
* Double-layer SuperDrive

I really recommend upgrading to 2GB RAM off the website I said above.

alright, thanks a ton!

Quote by MastaBassist10
I would say the processors are great (I run a mac mini solo intel core), but I really wish I would saved the $200-something extra for the second processor, because Logic takes so much CPU its not even funny, but then again, I dunno the price range. Wouldn't really recommend doing music on a laptop though cause they're harder to use, which does decrease your workflow (even if only by a little, its best to be able to slam down ideas as fast as possible). But whatever, I wish I had a laptop sometimes.

one reason i'm getting a laptop is becuase i have people that want me to record them in their own homes, making it important for me to get a mobile studio that can be moved around. thanks, though!