Hi!

I watched some Alexi Laiho, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai etc. from youtube. I noticed they have some sort of pedal that makes them that kind of "violin" sounding tone. What is this pedal called?

-Cheers
鋼の錬金術師
It could be an Ebow, it's not a pedal really but it does make your guitar sound like a violin by giving you endless sustain
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
The easiest way to get that "violin" sound is to use a volume pedal. 90% of the difference in sound is the "attack", or the initial twang/crunch of the guitar. If you use the volume pedal (or even the volume knob on the guitar) to fade the sound in after the attack, you'll get that smooth violin tone.
Another violin trick is the use of a volume swell. That could be in the form of a volume pedal, a volume swell pedal (like Boss SG-1 and this Guyatone pedal) or even the volume knob on your guitar.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
You can get some pedals that cut off the attack of your not and fade it in so it sounds like a violin. i can do it on my MultiFX and I think there's is a boss one called slow gear or something, but I don't know if it's still in production.

You can also do this with a volume pedal or a volume knob by picking the note then fading it in.
the violin technique i have heard about is done so:

put your guitar's volume to zero. on a les paul style guitar, anchor your pinkie on the volume knob, so that moving your hand up or down will move the knob. play a not, chord etc and turn the volume up. it sounds cool if you do it fast, so that you dont hear the note being picked.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
I tried the volume thing it seems not to be working too well. or than i'm doing something wrong, i got zoom G7.1ut and it gotvolume compressor, but that doesn't make the sound like "smooth" at all. I put the attack to slow or fast, tone to 0 and volume to 2-20 but still not nothing really impressive.
Edit:
Oh and as a guitar or got epiphone les paul standart and my amp is line6 spider II
鋼の錬金術師
Last edited by Punkismygod at Jan 28, 2008,
Quote by Punkismygod
I tried the volume thing it seems not to be working too well. or than i'm doing something wrong, i got zoom G7.1ut and it gotvolume compressor, but that doesn't make the sound like "smooth" at all. I put the attack to slow or fast, tone to 0 and volume to 2-20 but still not nothing really impressive.
Edit:
Oh and as a guitar or got epiphone les paul standart and my amp is line6 spider II

Hit the string with the volume on your guitar at 0. And then quickly turn it up to max. That's what I do it for one of my songs when I don't have a volume pedal
Quote by sum_ugly_man
Hit the string with the volume on your guitar at 0. And then quickly turn it up to max. That's what I do it for one of my songs when I don't have a volume pedal

thanks dude worked right away!
鋼の錬金術師
Glad I could help, You might also wanna experience with other added effects, say some slow delay would be good. Does the spider II have tap tempo? can't remember, well anyways just dial in a very slow delay and then experiment man, that's how you make music.
Quote by sum_ugly_man
Glad I could help, You might also wanna experience with other added effects, say some slow delay would be good. Does the spider II have tap tempo? can't remember, well anyways just dial in a very slow delay and then experiment man, that's how you make music.

It does have, but i prefer the tap tempo more on my multipedal, as I said before that G.7ut and thanks for giving idea for that it's nice to learn always something new
鋼の錬金術師