Everyday when I practice I have this exercise (well actually I got it from MJS's Total Scales Techniques and Applications, anyways...) I warm up my picking hand with where I alternate pick on the 6 open strings, down pick on the 6th, up pick on the 5th, etc. I started doing it slow, at like 69 bpm, didn't mess up at all. I used to do this at 84 bpm to start, and sometimes my pick would just touch the string and not actually pick it, so I'm wondering if when I'm going slow and no mistakes, if my movements should be very deliberate? They were yesterday, but I don't know if these deliberate movements will lead to wasted/excess movement.

It's kind of the same deal when I practice hammer-ons in a chromatic pattern, I do it quite slow (same speed as above) and hammer-on quite hard, enough so that despite not using my amp I can clearly hear the note ring, but my hand feels sorta tense when I do that.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
Quote by Baasoromyuu
so I'm wondering if when I'm going slow and no mistakes, if my movements should be very deliberate?

Yes. And relaxed.

Quote by Baasoromyuu

It's kind of the same deal when I practice hammer-ons in a chromatic pattern, I do it quite slow (same speed as above) and hammer-on quite hard, enough so that despite not using my amp I can clearly hear the note ring, but my hand feels sorta tense when I do that.

You don't have to hammer on hard to clearly ring the note. It just has to be accurate
on the string, fret and fingertip while making sure you stiffen the joint so it doesn't
collapse. If you've driven your finger 3 feet into the fingerboard to ring the note
out, how quickly do you think it will be ready to play the next note if needed?