Poll: Do you consider yourself 'good' at guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you consider yourself 'good' at guitar?
Yes
68 41%
No
96 59%
Voters: 164.
Page 1 of 2
(PS sorry if this has been done before, i searched but couldn't find anything)

My friend says I'm 'amazing' guitar, while I think the complete opposite. It got me thinking about whether guitarists ever consider themselves 'good'; if not is it out of humbleness or do they just put themselves down?

Discuss.
"It's funny how most people love the dead. Once you're dead, you're made for life" - Jimi Hendrix

Quote by TheClincher
Is it incest if I had sex with my brother in law's half sister? Because if it is, it was so ****ing worth it.
Mmm poll needs more options; i'd say i'm pretty good for playing 1 year and 1 month but i'm sloppy in places.
I'd say no , but allot of people tell me that I play very good for only a year
I wanted to force people to give a straight answer :p
"It's funny how most people love the dead. Once you're dead, you're made for life" - Jimi Hendrix

Quote by TheClincher
Is it incest if I had sex with my brother in law's half sister? Because if it is, it was so ****ing worth it.
I'm not close to any of the greatest but I consider myself alright thinkin' of how long and how much I play. I'm happy with meself so to say even if I know I could be far better if I had time and will to put in another gear.
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
i dont even think about/care if im good.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Quote by armstrong26491
I wanted to force people to give a straight answer :p

Lol i'll say yes then 'cause i'ma big headed bastard
I'd say no. Other people seem to think I am though.
Quote by richwatkinson
How come your on here for advice?

Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
No, I don't consider myself good. I'm alright for someone who's been playing for two months, but my playing is sloppy.
I'm alright. I've been playing for two years, I was probably good for a year of playing... but haven't really improved much in that year

The bass however... I've been playing for one year and just passed my grade 6, I'm doing 8 now... so I'm probably pretty good at that
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
People tell me i'm good, I think i'm competent but i've a long way to go.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
good is relative.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
I've played non-seriously for 4 years and I have enough general musical and guitar specific knowledge/skills to consider myself at least "above average" at guitar.

I'd say I'm pretty good I guess, not mindblowing or anything.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
YES compared to people that come in to shop @ my store with the exception of celeberties except the grungers

NO compared to Vinnie Vincent, EVH, Snake Sabo, Tom Keifer, Tommy Bolin, Uli Roth, Yngvie, Mark Ferrari, Joey Tafolla, etc...
yeah i'm told i'm an awesome guitarist and very creative but i think i suck for 7 years of doing it lol
Equipment
Carlo Robelli SG (Circa 1970's?)
Fender H.O.T. Amp
Yamaha G100-212-III
Ibanez Thrashmetal Pedal
Ibanez Flanger Pedal
Boss Master Switch/PowerSuppy
Boss Equalizer
I would consider myself a fairly decent player. I've yet to meet another player in person who has been playing for as long as I have and is better.

Not to sound conceited... my school just lacks good guitarists.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
im mediocre to decent. I have a few people in my fraternity house that constatly reminds me how much I have to learn, haha
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
I'm no Randy Rhodes, but I could pull out a short, basic-scale-progressing solo improv. if I had to. I consider myself ok.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
I voted no.

I have good technique from what I've been told, but I know virtually no theory, and have only a basic knowledge of scales.

I do have a good ear and I learn quickly though. I suppose you can't be "bad" after 10 years of playing. A lot of people tell me I'm "good".

I simply disagree.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
people say im amazing at guitar, but compared to players older than i am (im 16 so i mean like 25+) im only good
but if that didint matter, id say im pretty good
Hmm... I didn't think so many people would say yes.

Quote by TheClincher
I'm good. Hell yea I'm good.

I've been playing guitar for long long years but only a last couple of years did I finally "got it." That's when everything fell in place about music. Learning theory helped a lot and only through persistant practicing did it reveal the secret.
Well, my parents say I'm good, some of my friends think I'm not bad...but I want to learn more about theory...thinking about lessons just for theory, as my technique is my own, and it hasn't exactly wronged me yet...then there's this one jackass who says I suck...he's not bad, but good God, if you could see the sausage fingers on this child, plus, he's incredibly sloppy, so I don't see why I'm the ****tier player. Guess it's cause I don't know more Zeppelin than he does.
Quote by PanHead
...only a last couple of years did I finally "got it." That's when everything fell in place about music...
Thats where I was 5 years ago and then I stopped playing in a band
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
I'm alright, not the greatest, and I have a long time to go before I'm a great player. I would said I'm 'good' if sheerly on the virtue that I am majoring in jazz guitar in university, so I know I'm at least a step above a big chunk of the population.
Not really. Sometimes I feel like i'm progressing well for my level, but then I see other people who blow me out of the water. I can't really play that many songs, I mainly practice and rely on improvisation.
Yes, but no.
I'm good because I can improvise, I have learnt a fair bit of theory, I read up on a lot of the technical aspects of guitar (playing it and the actual guitar itself) but compare me to someone who is, say, in a popular band, even in a popular local band (providing the style is technically challenging to an extent) then I'll seem pretty rubbish, but I can hold up in a Jam
No, no I'm not.. In fact, I'm quite **** at guitar really! But that's ok, it's just a hobby of mine.
I consider myself 'good enough'
I can play most of the songs that i like, and know enough theory to get me by.

Ive never personally aspired to being able to shred/sweep or most metal related guitar stuffs.
No, I'm still slow on switching chords, I still can't play barre chords 100% clear [although it could be my cheap guitar buzzing] and I can only play songs at least than half their speed.

I've been playing for 9 months so I guess I really haven't come that far.
for the most part with guitar, just guitar mind you, if you can play a part of a song or do a little improve, people generally say your good
doesn't work that way with other instruments for some reason though....
It depends who you compare yourself with. If you've been playing for a year and compare yourself with someone who's been playing 20, you will think you are horrible.

If you compare yourself with other people who have been playing for 1 year, you can probably get the answer you're looking for.
It's realy relative.
Depends on who you compare yourself to.

When i compare myself with people that are as old and have been playing guitar for the same amount of time , i consider myself decent but if i compare myself to pros , i don't.

^^
Didn't notice your post.

Rock on dude.
Last edited by Evil_Magician at Jan 28, 2008,
I don't think I'm good, nor do I ever wish to think I am. The less I like what I play the more driven I am to make it better and therefore the better I will become, if I start to think of myself as "good" then that progress will die.
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Quote by VivaLaJam
Mmm poll needs more options; i'd say i'm pretty good for playing 1 year and 1 month but i'm sloppy in places.

exactly the same as me
i think i´m good for being playing 1 year, but still struggle in some songs
Gear:
LTD MH-1000
Ibanez RG350EX
ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Peavey ValveKing 112
Boss GE-7 EQ
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Digitech RP350
I don't know, I'd like to think I'm pretty good. On account of playing for about 10 months, alot of people say I've progressed quickly. But really, how good can one be after not even a year?
Page 1 of 2