i just started playing a few weeks ago and i love this hobby. i'm just curious to see if i can start playing some of my favorite bands or if i should start playing easier stuff. the bands i'm mainly interested in playing are sublime, thrice, santana, and incubus. are these bands too difficult for a beginner? should i try other bands/songs? if so which?
Santana may be too hard. Try anyway.
Gear

1972 U.S. Squire Strat
B.C. Rich Bronze Warlock
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Marshall 120 Watt

Quote by sum_ugly_man

A trombone mouth piece, when I was 13, I was just curious ok?
you'll never know if you don't try. if they are too hard, you can go to some more basic stuff for a while and then come back to them.
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
sublime i would imagine would be pretty darn easy

A few hours later...

My Gear:

AMP: Line 6 Spider III 30 Watt
Guitars: Gibson SG Classic (with P-90 Pickups), Martin DCX1E Acoustic-Electric, and Rouge Viola Bass
Sublime and some older Incubus would be easy. Incubus' guitar parts in "A Crow Left of the Murder" and "Light Grenades" are more complicated and have some odd chord voicings. Some Thrice is easy too, but make sure you have two guitarists.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
guess i'm going to see if i can tackle that santeria solo. hopefully it doesn't sound too metal on my ibanez
Roll back on the gain and maybe your guitar's volume knob and you should be fine. Don't make the tone too gainy.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
The intro solo to Smooth by Santana (feat. Rob Thomas) is pretty simple. It was the first guitar solo I learned how to play (the full version, not the MTV version.) Of course, it IS easy, but it may not sound as good because Santana plays it so soulfully.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Last edited by Thebiz at Jan 28, 2008,
Quote by Thebiz
The intro solo to Smooth by Santana (feat. Rob Thomas) is pretty simple. It was the first guitar solo I learned how to play (the full version, not the extended MTV version.) Of course, it IS easy, but it may not sound as good because Santana plays it so soulfully.

yeah i really want to learn how to play this song, but it seems like he only plays certain sections to the song and there are alot of gaps in between.