I have been playing since September, which is... 4 months? And I can play Master Of Puppets, and Life By The Drop by Stevie Ray Vaughan, as well as lots of other songs... Am I doing good for how long I have been playing, or am I progressing slowly for teaching myself? I am thinking about getting a teacher...
You can play master of puppets or you can play a riff or two from master of puppets?
Quote by M Power
You can play master of puppets or you can play a riff or two from master of puppets?

ya cause if you can play master of puppets in its entirety in only four months of playing you must be a guitar prodigy
well, it really depends.
it is hard to judge, because most beginners try too hard to play fast and than they end up having a really bad timing.
Quote by Demonikk
The question is how well can you play those songs?

+1
I can play note for note any Skid Row song or Poison, Warrant and Zeplin and I can shred out Most KEEL but some others say they can play those songs but not at the level to the Masters recorded them

Sanme thing if ur plying SRV or grunge although grunge is only like a little better then rap except 4 Alice N Chainz
maybe hes lying. that or hes a freaking prodigy... either way. i hate you for lying or for being such a BAMF.
Half of the people you know are below average.
i don't know about anyone else but i need to actually hear you play before i can say if your good or not

A few hours later...

My Gear:

AMP: Line 6 Spider III 30 Watt
Guitars: Gibson SG Classic (with P-90 Pickups), Martin DCX1E Acoustic-Electric, and Rouge Viola Bass
Quote by S0URS
I have been playing since September, which is... 4 months? And I can play Master Of Puppets, and Life By The Drop by Stevie Ray Vaughan, as well as lots of other songs... Am I doing good for how long I have been playing, or am I progressing slowly for teaching myself? I am thinking about getting a teacher...

Correction. "I can play a few of the main riffs from Master of Puppets".
Be cool.
Hrm. Either you can only play a few riffs or you are full of ****, sir.

EDIT: Well, then dont go around saying "yeah, I can play Master of Puppets and ****" if you can play only some 30 seconds of it. Anyway, your progress is normal.

EDIT2: What about Life by The Drop? Not exactly the hardest song ever, but hey - it's SRV. It requires a lot of soul and talent to play.
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
Last edited by binjajer at Jan 28, 2008,
Quote by mdsmith1
maybe hes lying. that or hes a freaking prodigy... either way. i hate you for lying or for being such a BAMF.

Or maybe he just thinks that he's uber awesomeness. When I was paying for four months, I used to think I could play master of puppets. While I was playing it extremely wrong, with a very unsteady beat, and wrong notes.

But Mop isn't a very hard song, it you play atleast 6 hours a day and for four months, you should be able to play it.

TS make a clip of you playing, then we can tell
Quote by S0URS
Well, I can play it up to the *play three times* part on this tab.
http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/metallica/master_of_puppets_tab.htm

It still comes down to how well you can play it though
My Band's Myspace

Quote by sizzlefizzle
when it comes to girls, the best thing to do is to just give up on trying to understand them.

cant live with 'em, cant live without certain parts of 'em.
Can you play the following chords without hiccups, switching between different ones each bar?

Major and Minor E, A, D, G, C. If you can do that I'd say you're making good progress for 4 months. Learning tabs will only get you so far, try looking at something you can actually use instead.
I could play most of master of puppets at 5 months but for me its probably because I have really good dexterity and fingers as long as bucketheads lol.
its hard to tell after four months. Most people who pick up playing the guitar gets this kind of exponential growth. Because your learning so much when you start something new. Learn all the major chords, alternate picking, songs you love.

And then after about the first year of playing the learning curve gets harder. You gotta start doing finger workouts to get your fingers faster, learning theory, and scales.

So id say your doing alright. But theres no way to gauge something like this really. And a teacher is preference. Personally im the type of person whos really bad at learning stuff on my own, although thats wut ive been doing for the past year and a half. And im a slow learner.

I do have some decent solo's under my belt, but what i really wish I could do better was come up with my own, and developing my ear to be able to hear and know what notes go well together
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by SenorSmiley
+1
I can play note for note any Skid Row song or Poison, Warrant and Zeplin and I can shred out Most KEEL but some others say they can play those songs but not at the level to the Masters recorded them

Sanme thing if ur plying SRV or grunge although grunge is only like a little better then rap except 4 Alice N Chainz

you can play any zeppelin song but you can't spell it right?
I play bass!
Quote by sum_ugly_man
Or maybe he just thinks that he's uber awesomeness. When I was paying for four months, I used to think I could play master of puppets. While I was playing it extremely wrong, with a very unsteady beat, and wrong notes.

But Mop isn't a very hard song, it you play atleast 6 hours a day and for four months, you should be able to play it.

TS make a clip of you playing, then we can tell

Feel welcome to flame me. I really have nothing to add, although his progression seems quite normal. I am just curious as to what this TS means lol.
Quote by RedSox_o4
Feel welcome to flame me. I really have nothing to add, although his progression seems quite normal. I am just curious as to what this TS means lol.

Thread Starter.

Uhh... Nothing else to add.
Quote by RedSox_o4

I was never actually trying to say that it is completely impossible to play master of puppets after 4 months. Its completely possible with the correct amount of practice. In fact with the correct amount of practice anything is possible
Quote by sum_ugly_man
I was never actually trying to say that it is completely impossible to play master of puppets after 4 months. Its completely possible with the correct amount of practice. In fact with the correct amount of practice anything is possible

Far Beyond the Sun in a month? I thought not :P

The bit of MoP he said he could play was the hard bit, and considering he's only been playing 4 months, I'm betting he's playing it wrong :P
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru
Far Beyond the Sun in a month? I thought not :P

The bit of MoP he said he could play was the hard bit, and considering he's only been playing 4 months, I'm betting he's playing it wrong :P

Try practicing all day long(with short breaks to prevent RSI) and I think you might be able to play some really crazy ****.

But you have to agree with me on one thing, with practice, anything is possible.