Ok got a gig coming up and it's the first time that I'm the singer. Our last singer had the microphone but obviously getting rid of him isn't going to make him happy to let us borrow his mic.

The price range doesn't matter for the moment, I just need advice about microphones i.e. the best quality models, are special amps needed, does it need to be put through an FX box etc. I was talking to one of my friends about it and he said that you can get a good quality mic for around £60 ($120) but the thing that affects the quality of the sound is the FX box/processor you put it through and the amp, so is this true or is it mainly down to the microphone?

Anyone who has any information on models they have or setups they have that means they have a good quality sound. I'm talking about little if no static, good sound qualilty (e.g. not sounding like you're talking down a phone) and be able to be loud enough to be heard over the instruments without cracking.

Thank u x
Quote by ldl67
SM 58, an industry standard

OK, will that work in any amp or do I need to get a special mic amp or FX board or something?
Quote by Jmz123
OK, will that work in any amp or do I need to get a special mic amp or FX board or something?

I assume you mean power amp? Or are you going to run it through a guitar amp?
sup?
I'd say you just need an amp that doesn't have any guitar effects in it. Just a plain old amplifier that does exactly what the word amplifier means.
SM58 by quite a large margin. Don't EVER put it into an amp though. Get a mixer box, and feed it into a PA, unless of course you LIKE having your vocals all muddy and distorted.
Quote by gallagher2006
SM58 by quite a large margin. Don't EVER put it into an amp though. Get a mixer box, and feed it into a PA, unless of course you LIKE having your vocals all muddy and distorted.

no, put it though an amp, but not a guitar amp or any amp like that. to feed it into the PA you obviously need an amp...
sup?
ok I've had a look at the SM58 mic, and I have a very good valve amp. With the mic though, it says it's wired, but I can't see a socket. Is the socket on the base of the mix where I just can't see it? And what type of cable does it take?
Quote by ldl67
no, put it though an amp, but not a guitar amp or any amp like that. to feed it into the PA you obviously need an amp...

Mic>Mixer>PAsystem (Speakers)

PA system IS a type of amp