One of my school friends is selling an EMG 81 and an 85, both unopened, for about $125, and I was thinking about purchasing them. However, I'm not sure if my amp can take the EMGs...It's a Roland Cube 60, which is a powerful-sounding amp, but from what some people have said, it might cause lots of incoherent buzz or static. I use a Boss Metal Core distortion pedal as well with my amp.

Should I buy or save the money?
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
That amp should be fine (BUY)
Quote by d. b. cooper
I listen to metal, therefore I do not have feelings...
Controversial. You shouldn't really even be using that pedal with your cube. It'll just sound too digital to most people's ears. EMG's aren't really designed for solid state amps, and just won't release their full potential sound-wise.

Save the money, buy a tube amp, then think about EMGs.
Yeah, should be fine with that, especially if you're playing (what I'm guessing is) bassy metal/metalcore.
125? sold. i dont even like EMG's and i'd still take that in a heartbeat
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
What you'll probably want to do if you buy them (not saying you should), is also buy a cheap DOD EQ pedal and use it as a 10db gain cut, so as to make up for the lack of a low gain input on the Cube. But you might want to wait unti lyou get a valve amp anyways, which looks a long ways off unless you win the lottery soon.
That's a major bargain, I say go for it.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Word.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
yea buy them, btw cubes handle pedals very well!
Too tired and lazy to bother with a sig, Sorry.
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Controversial. You shouldn't really even be using that pedal with your cube. It'll just sound too digital to most people's ears. EMG's aren't really designed for solid state amps, and just won't release their full potential sound-wise.

Save the money, buy a tube amp, then think about EMGs.

I use my pedal when my amp is on clean, I don't stack it with the amp's distortion. I just use the distortion from the pedal only, and it sounds excellent for the kind of music I play (A7X, KsE, Atreyu, hardcore and metalcore basically).

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Quote by pix_dement
yea buy them, btw cubes handle pedals very well!

I heard that! Unless you stack distortion anyway...

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX