...Hey all!
Just needed to ask a question concerning my fretless fender jazz bass. Yesterday, my brother was messing around in my room and started to strum the bass like a guitar. i came in and took it off him but when he had gone, i realised that the e no longer fits in the nut slot.

i looked a bit closer and saw that theres a tiny piece been knocked off the inside of the slot, so when i pluck it, it slides up and out of the nut. should i be worried about this and what can i do to fix it? Will I need a new nut putting in or what?

Thanks guys,
Bryn
Unless you find the missing piece and glue it back in, you need a new nut. And even if you did glue it back in, you'd still need a new one, except you'd have a temporary one until you got the new one put in. Pretty much damned if you do and damned if you don't. Just get a new one, it'll be a lot less effort than any other possibilities, and a lot more reliable option than an attempt at fixing it.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Well its really small, hardly noticable even. isnt there any way i could just put something there to stop it from pinging out? Plus the nut on my jazz is slightly different to my two fretted basses, will that be a factor in getting a new one?
Putting something in or making a quick repair will kill open-note sustain. You'll need to replace it sooner or later. It's a quick and cheap job to replace it though.
If the string isn't sitting in it properly, you should just replace it. Even putting something to hold in it wouldn't be very effective because it wouldn't be very secure, even if you managed to find and glue the original chunk back in, it could still easily come back out. Your best bet it just replacing it, less headaches involved.

And I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine the nut on the fretless being any different from the one on the fretted, everything else about them is the same. So long as the nut would fit the fretted Fender Jazz, it should be fine on the fretless. Maybe check for a second opinion on that just in case, but I don't see why it would matter.

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Cheers guys! i was just going to wrap a thin strip of gaffer tape around the nut to keep it in. damn, i can be a noob sometimes...
+1 to what Fett13 said, but don't forget to punch your brother in the face.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

The nut on a fretless tends to sit a bit lower than a fretted nut. Think about it - the frets are gone, so the strings are closer to the fretboard to compensate.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
That's beside the point and immaterial to the fact >_>

But yeah, see, that's why I said seek a second opinion just in case. I have been known to be wrong from time to time. Not often, but it does happen.

©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Quote by Fett13
That's beside the point and immaterial to the fact >_>

It's totally to the fact and totally on points. Fretless nuts ARE different. They aren't as high as nuts on fretted bass. You need to sand down the bottom of a nut on a fretless bass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..