Now im very close to ordering a Laney VC30 212 through my school (it excludes VAT) and i was told by some other people that the LC is just as good but cheaper, i wanted to try both of these amps out but no shop near me stocks them unfortunately, so i was wondering if any of yous had tried either of these amps and which one i should get or if another recommendation
I play stuff like Red Hot Chili Peppers John Frusciante, The strokes, not much metal so any ideas?
Thanks
(i have a MIM strat)
/CENTER]
Well Paul Gilbert used LC50s for his Spaceship one DVD (and possibly album).
This was the time he was playing his lower gain pop stuff, but also the DVD had scarified on it, meaning it can also reach metal tones, I'd personally go LC but others prefer VC which is lower gain than the LC I believe.
VC is good for Frusciante and indie stuff, so I'd go for it. It really has less gain that the LC, but with a nice OD it could do something like Black Sabbath or other classic metal pretty well. You can always buy a distortion pedal for metal, too.

The LC50 has separate EQ for each channel, but it's really a matter of preference if you need it or not.
I own VC15, but that's basically the same thing but with less wattage. The VC30 will be louder of course, and it'll have more clean headroom. On the Drive channel you can easily get the Frooshy inbetween clean and overdrive tone, if you push the gain more you get nice bluesy leads, and on 10 it handles Led Zeppelin-like distortion, good for soloing in Jimmy Page or Hendrix style. The amp is vintage sounding, basically designed as an Vox AC30 clone, that's why it's good for indie sounds too.
Last edited by zombiak at Jan 28, 2008,
^ I have nothing to add... this guy told me to buy a VC and it's brilliant! Get a VC! It's a nice British voicing amp great for RHCP.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.
if you want to save money you could consider the 1x12?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah but i heard that 2 speakers was better as the sound is more "wider"?
/CENTER]
Lol now thanks to you i think i might be reconsidering!
Actually for £66 i dont mind having an extra speaker so thanks for the advice anyway
/CENTER]
Last edited by pl0x at Jan 28, 2008,
Quote by pl0x
Yeah but i heard that 2 speakers was better as the sound is more "wider"?

but if 2 speakers are better than one, then how awesome must 80 4x12s be?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Actually for £66 i dont mind having an extra speaker so thanks for the advice anyway
I wish i could try them but as i said no one stocks them, but yeah the 212 it is! xD
/CENTER]
moved
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Yeah thats my problem too, how the hell are we supposed to decide which amp we want if we cant bloody play them first?!
^ yeah... I bought my VC-15 just because it has good ratings in the internet... fortunately I love it but what would happend if I'd hated it?
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
Yep same, only coz other peolpe recommends it, anyway i placed the order today so i can't wait!
/CENTER]
Quote by Dave_Mc
but if 2 speakers are better than one, then how awesome must 80 4x12s be?

So awesome that there's not even a word for it.
would br00talz suffice?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
would br00talz suffice?

Maybe. Epic doom-br00talz is the best I can come up with.
Threadstarter, I think you should consider where you'd be using the amp most.

I mean I've got the LC30 myself, and I love it, but I find the distortion channel at low bedroom volumes sounds absolutely awful. Great at gig levels, but it changes completely when you turn it down.

If you aren't gonna be cranking it much, I think you should go for either the LC15 or VC15. However if you're playing with a band/gigging lots, then get one of the 30 watters.
Yeah, thanks for the warning, but im mainly getting this for gigging as i have to borrow crappy MGs lol =P

But the cleans are good at slightly low volumes arent they?
/CENTER]
Quote by pl0x
Yeah, thanks for the warning, but im mainly getting this for gigging as i have to borrow crappy MGs lol =P

But the cleans are good at slightly low volumes arent they?

Oh for sure, the cleans are orgasmic at lower volumes.
Quote by mr_hankey
Maybe. Epic doom-br00talz is the best I can come up with.

aye.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So is the crunch good at medium volumes? Like slightly overdrivish
/CENTER]
I can't tell You how it is in VC-30 but in my VC-15 there's a nice overdive even at low volumes. In VC-30 I assume that it's the same... maybe You'd have to make it louder but it won't be very loud. You want to buy a VC-30 or LC-30? I recommend You VC
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
Well i'v already ordered the VC-30 212 a few days ago, i am expecting it next week or after and can't wait, its going to be around £300 ($500ish)
/CENTER]