im thinking of buying this guitar
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH400-Electric-Guitar?sku=516684
but im having some nervous thoughts about the LFR. I change tunings a lot, but mostly just from standard to drop d.
i realize that there is this model as well, without the tremolo
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH400NT-Electric-Guitar-?sku=516685
but im having trouble finding that model used (im hoping to get it for 500 used)

but i had a thought. would i be able to remove one of the locks at the bridge, specifically the one holding the low E and A strings, so i could tune the E to D if i wished, without screwing up the bridge?

(and please no "buy a better amp" comments, im looking at a vavleking which i played the esp through and loved it."
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
no you can't do that, it defeats the whole purpose of a double locking tremolo if you do that, just buy a guitar witha floating bridge (non double locking)
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
perhaps down the line a D-tuna would work in you favor
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Yeah big downside of floyds are that you cant change tuning easily. I would get the fixed
Manchester United
If you have you'r guitar tuned to Standard and untune you'r Low E and A string, everything else will get untuned. Having floyd is a nervewracking but you'll get used to it.
yea... I had a floating trem on my first guitar was a mistake. They are awesome trems you gotta make sure thats what you want.

Since all the same strings are connected to the "floating" piece of metal, if you lower you low E string, its gonna cause the bridge to lower more into cavity in the guitar, which is going to pull back harder on all your other strings which makes them go sharp.

And oppositely, if you tighten a strength, it would pull the trem further out, lowering all of the others
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
alright, so ill either get the hardtail or get the one with the lfr and not do what i had planned

thanks guys
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
a D-tuna is made for that(low E to D), but i haven´t tried it
Gear:
LTD MH-1000
Ibanez RG350EX
ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Peavey ValveKing 112
Boss GE-7 EQ
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Digitech RP350
Guys, you're forgetting the easy solution: Block the trem to dive only. That way you can tune one string and it won't upset the others. Likewise it will allow the trem to sit at a fairly constant level if you do it right. You can't do a D-Tuna without doing that, as it would still throw the strings otu on a floating trem and unbalance it.
If you are just going to Drop D, on a floyd you can set it up so that you can make that switch via the fine tuners with very little hassle.

Edit: ^--it doesn't affect the other strings very much. If you want I can make recordings with 3 different (two licensed floyds).
sorry, but what is a d-tuna, and how would i do all this? and what would i need?
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
You can switch from dropped d to standard easy it takes about 30 secs though if you don't have the d and e set up within the fine tuner (which works good but you usually can't pull up if you have it like that). I don't think you can pull up with the d-tuna either and if I'm right about that it means your paying $50 to save 10 secs that it would take just to use the fine tuner.