Hey guys,

So I'm wondering what genre these bands all fall into. I'd like to be able to say that I like punk, or hardcore, or metal, etc.... plz don't get too detailed. I've heard some people call bands things like "neo gothic grindcore" which I think is ridiculous because there's probably like 2 bands in that genre...

So:

Atreyu
Bullet for my Valentine
Senses Fail
Avenged Sevenfold (Waking the Fallen type stuff, not newer)
Story of the Year

They all have really metal music with lots of plam muting, harmonizing lead lines, and crazy guitar solos.. lots of screaming also, but they sing melodically as well.

Dont really know how to categorize that.
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
metalcore, screamo, other crap
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Atreyu - metalcore
Bullet for my Valentine - metalcore
Senses Fail - pop-punk/emo
Avenged Sevenfold (Waking the Fallen type stuff, not newer) - metalcore
Story of the Year - pop-punk/emo
Atreyu-watered down metalcore
Bullet for my Valentine-metalcore
Senses Fail-pop rock
Avenged Sevenfold-metalcore
Story of the Year-pop rock with a little post hardcore influence
Quote by IcePh0enix
Atreyu-watered down metalcore
Bullet for my Valentine-metalcore
Senses Fail-pop rock
Avenged Sevenfold-metalcore
Story of the Year-pop rock with a little post hardcore influence

This.
With the exception of Storey of the Year.
Metal, it's simple. I hate how people keep creating sub-genre's, it's just metal. There influenced by metal, they sound like metal, there supporters are metalheads. There just metal.
Quote by razorback_al_31
Metal, it's simple. I hate how people keep creating sub-genre's, it's just metal. There influenced by metal, they sound like metal, there supporters are metalheads. There just metal.

The thing is, Metal is to vague of a term.
It really doesn't begin to cover the vast amounts of music it actually contains.
Plus, I highly HIGHLY doubt Senses Fail is metal.
Metalcore itself has a much more different sound than metal.
If anything, Metalcore is still a bit vague.
And you can't spell funeral
without fun
hope you had a good time
cuz now your life is done
Atreyu - pop metalcore
Bullet for my Valentine - pop metalcore
Senses Fail - pop rock
Avenged Sevenfold (Waking the Fallen type stuff, not newer) - pop metalcore
Story of the Year - pop rock

Quote by Post?Organic
I like to call it garbage personally or uhh... Metalcore.

stfu and listen to converge until your ears bleed
.... are we serious...

how about there all just metal

(try and classify CoB and tell me that these bands are anyhting else than plain metal)
Quote by jackrott
.... are we serious...

(try and classify CoB and tell me that these bands are anyhting else than plain metal)

How about you try posting these bands in the metal forum and see what happens?
Quote by jackrott
.... are we serious...

Okay
Children of Bodom
Genre: Garbage
Bands mentioned by TS
Genre: Garbage
Hey, hes right, they do fall under the same category
Whattayaknow.
And you can't spell funeral
without fun
hope you had a good time
cuz now your life is done
how about pop with guitars
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
what is the real definition of metalcore, i find the trend of it to be alot of high pitched riffs, alot of harmonizing, alot of quiet bassists, half singing half screaming, and the lead singer having some kind of a cool accent, o yes and divebombs seem to be heavily used, is that pretty accurate?
Guys.. you really don't need to flame this thread with your unproductive crap. I may agree with your views, but it's really not helping at all with this thread, which had a legitimate question. No one asked you what you thought of the band's playing abilities or how 'good'/'bad' their music is. I dont mean to have a stick up my ass, but come on now.

For the thread starter, RedDeath9 had it down pat. A lot of the music reccomendation threads in the genre forums help out too, and if all else fails, or you get tired of flamers, there's always Wiki.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

why do we care?

genre's don't actually matter.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by razorback_al_31

honestly stop with this, i dont care how badly you want it to be metal its not. im sick of kids like you polluting the scene I have loved these last 20 or so years. just ****ing stop it
actually real metalcore is much harder and faster than all those bands metalcore is nothing but shredding and screaming it pisses true metalcore fans off when bands like that get labeled as metalcore its more so just metal except story of the year thats just pop/emo
"To Wierd To Live, To Rare To Die"
mtv pop metal. NOT metalcore, NOT screamo
світ втомився від вас
avenged sevenfold = part of the 2000-2010 equivalant of 1980-1990s glam rock/hair metal.....guys in makeup claiming to be metal, and being recieved as metal by many fans worldwide....once the fad dies out though theyll all be shoved into some genre that separates them from metal (which is a good thing, i wont deny that they of course have some strong metal influence, but they've gotten so far from the honesty of most other metal music and so far into the stereotypical "were a bunch of badass guys who think about sex drugs and rock n roll (who also have massive ego problems despite them sucking ass at guitar, ive seen youtube videos, ive seen live videos, ive attempted a song or two, there generic and uncreative and sloppy)"....i normaly hate elitists who talk like im talking but avenged sevenfold is literaly a steaming pile of **** and a disrgace.....