Today i bought a 12 string vintage guitar and i love it but the strings are kinda rusty to the max so i thought i would get some new ones. My question is. What exactly am i looking for? I know where i am with 6 string guitars but 12 string guitars infinitely confuse me. I don't even know how to tune it I want to buy some off stringsdirect so links to some nice strings on there will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers .
My Stuff!

Yamaha Pacifica 112
Vintage V400-12 Solid Top 12 STRING!!!!!
Yamaha F-310
Yamaha FD02 Solid Top
Orange crush 10
Watson XL15
Zoom G2
Encore PK40

Saxophone: Jupiter somethin or other
Tuning it is somewhat simple, but can get really annoying. For the first 8 strings ( two E, two A, two D, and two G), the thick strings are tuned an octave lower than the thinner strings, which are tuned normally. And for the last four, the two B and E, both strings are tuned to a normal B or E note, like on a 6 string.
Quote by qotsa1998
Tuning it is somewhat simple, but can get really annoying. For the first 8 strings ( two E, two A, two D, and two G), the thick strings are tuned an octave lower than the thinner strings, which are tuned normally. And for the last four, the two B and E, both strings are tuned to a normal B or E note, like on a 6 string.

Do you know if there is a website which has tones for each string? I can tell i am going to have lots of tuning trouble when i put my new strings on
My Stuff!

Yamaha Pacifica 112
Yamaha F-310
Yamaha FD02 Solid Top
Orange crush 10
Watson XL15
Zoom G2
Encore PK40

put on all the thick strings first. then when you tune your thin strings, go to the 12th fret of the thick string and play it. that should give you a good estimate of what the thin string should sound like.
Quote by captivate
put on all the thick strings first. then when you tune your thin strings, go to the 12th fret of the thick string and play it. that should give you a good estimate of what the thin string should sound like.

Thanks it's now tuned and sounds great despite the condition of the strings! What strings should i get? Bronze ones or nickel ones? 12 string elixirs are 18 quid!

EDIT: Can anyone think of any decent 12 string songs to play the only one i can think of is wish you were here by pink floyd
My Stuff!

Yamaha Pacifica 112
Yamaha F-310
Yamaha FD02 Solid Top
Orange crush 10
Watson XL15
Zoom G2
Encore PK40

Last edited by Ghopki02 at Jan 28, 2008,
Quote by qotsa1998

Actually, this is wrong. The thick strings of EADG are all tuned to standard pitch, and the octave of those, or the the thinner of the pair are all tuned an octave UP above standard. Then the paired B and high E strings are tuned in unison, no octave.
@Ghopki02 - ouch... 18 quid. i feel sorry for all you people in the UK. you have to pay a LOT more than we do. I'm paying $16-$18 canadian for 6 strings. 12 strings are like... $20-25 i think.
Quote by captivate
@Ghopki02 - ouch... 18 quid. i feel sorry for all you people in the UK. you have to pay a LOT more than we do. I'm paying $16-$18 canadian for 6 strings. 12 strings are like... $20-25 i think.

Is that for elixirs? If so, then you are damn lucky! I think i'll end up getting something like daddario or ernie ball bronzes as they're only about £7 for a set of 12 strings.
My Stuff!

Yamaha Pacifica 112
Yamaha F-310
Yamaha FD02 Solid Top
Orange crush 10
Watson XL15
Zoom G2
Encore PK40

^ A set of 12-string elixirs in my shop is like $30.

the d'addario exps are about $24, and the uncoated strings between 16 and 20.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by roamingbard13
^ A set of 12-string elixirs in my shop is like $30.

the d'addario exps are about $24, and the uncoated strings between 16 and 20.

That kinda works out at a similar price then. I don't think i'll go for elixirs. They're so expensive! If i broke a string i would literally cry Here is the vital question. Ernie ball Earthwoods or d'addario phosphor bronze? Or is it possible to get stainless steel 12 string sets? I'm using stainless steels on my acoustic at the moment and i love them in comparison to the bronze strings i used to have.
My Stuff!

Yamaha Pacifica 112
Yamaha F-310
Yamaha FD02 Solid Top
Orange crush 10
Watson XL15
Zoom G2
Encore PK40

i'd probably go for D'addario. I have some D'addario exp's on my guitar. im satisfied with them. when amplified, they sound better than elixirs. acoutically, they're also quite good.

as for ernie balls, i have heard the occasional mention of them, but no amazing reviews on them.
The thick strings of EADG are all tuned to standard pitch, and the octave of those, or the the thinner of the pair are all tuned an octave UP above standard.

Just as a sidenote, its also commonplace to tune both G strings to the same pitch.
I use Dean Markley's or Martin's for most my 12 strings, but I also have a set of Cleartone's on one of them... BTW... the Cleartone's are usually more expensive than Elixir's.
I use Martin 10s on mine. phosphor bronze IIRC (though I prefer 80/20) They still sound good after quite a long time. 12 strings always seem to sound great though no matter what condition the strings are in!
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/Catalogue/ViewProduct.aspx?productId=1527

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/Catalogue/ViewProduct.aspx?productId=747

What is the best to get? i like 10s on my 6 stringer so i think i'll go for 10s on the 12 string unless for some reason they're not very good i'll probably go for either one of those but everything is confusing me. The silk end on the marquis ones? does this effect the sound etc?
My Stuff!

Yamaha Pacifica 112
Yamaha F-310
Yamaha FD02 Solid Top
Orange crush 10
Watson XL15
Zoom G2
Encore PK40