so, i'm a mario fan and i try to play the flagpole sound but at the end where it has a bunch of the same notes in a row i always end up hiting more strings! so anyways, how do i help myself to strum fast but not hit all of the non-needed strings on accident?
2 things

You can "aim" your strumming with your right hand so that isntead of strumming across all the strings you're only strumming across the ones you need and maybe one more.

You can use your fingers that aren't playing the note to mute the other strings, so they don't sound even if they're strummed.
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
Quote by noodlegts

You can use your fingers that aren't playing the note to mute the other strings, so they don't sound even if they're strummed.

+1

I'd go with this route. It's a very useful technique once mastered!

On the Mario front - good work! +1 for this also!
thanks guys! and now i have at least encountered some nice people on ug. lol sorry if i offended anyone.
i usually anchor my pinky onto the body of the guitar, giving me more precision when picking individual strings. maybe that would help