I just started playing a few weeks ago and am taking lessons. I was taught that for the G cord I should use my pinky on the first string, then ring finger on the 6th string and middle finger on the 5th string.

This was hard for me and my initial reaction was to use my ring finger for the 1st string, middle finger for the 6th string and index finger for the 5th string. For some reason my teacher didn't like this method. I tried it again earlier and now this way is a bit harder for me than the first way I mentioned, (that way isn't much easier though) but I think if I practiced it this way for a bit it would become easier/faster. Which way do you guys do the G chord?

Also, I'm trying not to look at my hands as I do the chord but it's so hard at first. Do you just take occasional peeks or what? I have more of a hard time not looking at my strumming hand (i.e. making sure I only hit the first four strings on an F chord for example)

Thanks for the help!
Pinky on the first string. You could also, after awhile, put your middle on the 6th string and then your ring on the 3rd fret of the B. Hope that helps a little.
I play the G chord like this:

e-3-
B-3-
G-0-
D-0-
A-2-
E-3-

I think it is superior to all other ways, though it is harder than fretting 3 notes (not once you've been playing a while, though).

Any way you play anything will get easier the more you do it.

Looking at your hands: You'll have to at first, but as you get better, your fingers will know where to go.

One more thing, when you name strings by a number, it is as follows:
e 1
B 2
G 3
D 4
A 5
E 6

The highest string is the string highest in pitch.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I play the G chord like this:

e-3-
B-3-
G-0-
D-0-
A-2-
E-3-

I think it is superior to all other ways, though it is harder than fretting 3 notes (not once you've been playing a while, though).

Any way you play anything will get easier the more you do it.

Looking at your hands: You'll have to at first, but as you get better, your fingers will know where to go.

I play it also like that
My Gear
Guitars
Fender Squier
Ibanez JS100
Gibson SG Standard
Amps
Fender Basic Amp (15 Watt)
Line6 Spider II 212 (150 Watt)
Effects
Line6 PodXT
Boss ML-2 Pedal
When i play the open G chord, I use... ring or pinky finger on the first string, middle finger on the 6th string, and index on the 5th string. I am self taught and I havent run into any problems because of that fingering yet. I mean, you dont barre the G chord, do you? I could be just to get used to barring with the index finger. Ask your teacher, Im sure he will be happy to explain the reasons behind it.

When playing guitar, go ahead and look at your fingers as you need to. You eventually get used to playing and you dont need to look, but starting off of course its ok to look. After you are very comfortable with something, then try it without staring at your hand. It all just takes some getting used to.

EDIT: I also play the 4 finger version of the G chord, but it sounds like the threadstarter plays it with three fingers, so I related my post to that.
I play it with my ring finger on the first string, middle finger on the 6th and index on the 5th, but everywhere I go, I hear that you should play it the way you are learning to play it.

Playing it with the pinky will definitely help in the long run, though. It will help you make faster transitions to most other chords (ex. from G to C) and it will force you to develop strength in your pinky. It is a bit awkward to use your pinky for most things, but it is definitely a good idea to start incorporating it now, as opposed to a year from now.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
I always have played a G chord with my pinky on the 1st string 3rd fret, ring on the 2nd string 3 fret open 3rd and forth strings, index on the 5th string 2nd fret and middle on the 6th string 3rd fret. None of these is wrong, it's still a major triad whether it has the B open second or D on the third fret. I've never seen someone play the G with the fingerig your teacher taught you but you should do it. Look at it this way, at least the muscle between your ring and pinky will never be a problem learning that way and I think that may be what your teacher is going for. I had a big problem with that muscle a few years ago and it took a while to overcome, so do what the teach says.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
I Usually play it with Pinky on the first string, Ring on the 2nd String, Idex on the 5th string and Middle finger on the 6th string. althought on occasion i play it like the Metal Way!
Don't really see a reason why you should have to finger a G with middle/ring/pinky. I don't like the open G chord so I don't use it much but I've never found a problem with changes by fingering it differently. Ask your teacher why he wants you to do it that way.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Quote by Magmir
I just started playing a few weeks ago and am taking lessons. I was taught that for the G cord I should use my pinky on the first string, then ring finger on the 6th string and middle finger on the 5th string.

This was hard for me and my initial reaction was to use my ring finger for the 1st string, middle finger for the 6th string and index finger for the 5th string. For some reason my teacher didn't like this method. I tried it again earlier and now this way is a bit harder for me than the first way I mentioned, (that way isn't much easier though) but I think if I practiced it this way for a bit it would become easier/faster. Which way do you guys do the G chord?

Also, I'm trying not to look at my hands as I do the chord but it's so hard at first. Do you just take occasional peeks or what? I have more of a hard time not looking at my strumming hand (i.e. making sure I only hit the first four strings on an F chord for example)

Thanks for the help!

yeah thats a pretty standard way of playing a G. You could also play it with the middle finger on the 6th, the index finger on the 5th, and the ring finger on the 1st string. Personally I find that to be easier for beginners. its also more compatible with this version: which would use the same fingers except that the ring finger would be on the 2nd string and the pinky would play the 1st string.

---3--------------------------------
---0--------------------------------
---0--------------------------------
---2--------------------------------

The way your teacher is showing you is fine, and works well for certain situations like switching between G and C/G

---3-----3----3-----------------------
---0-----1----0----------------------
---0-----0----0-----------------------
---0-----2----0-----------------------
---2-----x----2-----------------------
---3-----3----3-----------------------

Anyway, dont fight it. Learn it that way. learn the other ways. They all have their place.
The way your being taught (with the pinky on the 1st string) allows for easier chord variations....like switching from a G to a G7 or from a G to a C/G. From everything I've heard and read this is the "correct" way. However I cop out and play it with my ring on the 1st string (hell sometimes I get lazy and just mute the B on the second fret and just use my middle and ring fingers)
your teach is showing you a different way of holding G than i was taught...

look at the cover of Slowhand by Clapton..... thats how i was taught to hold it..

but the way you are doing it now is better for switching around in the open position (sometimes i wish i had burned that holding style in my brain long ago)
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
Quote by rock_and_blues
The way your being taught (with the pinky on the 1st string) allows for easier chord variations....like switching from a G to a G7 or from a G to a C/G. From everything I've heard and read this is the "correct" way. However I cop out and play it with my ring on the 1st string (hell sometimes I get lazy and just mute the B on the second fret and just use my middle and ring fingers)

there is a number of "correct" ways. That is one of them.
Thanks everyone! I'll just continue to do it the way I've been taught (and ask him why next lesson, b/c I'm curious now) since that what the majority seems to be suggesting. My pinky isn't the main problem (although it's not good by any means), the big issue I'm having is my ring finger touches the 5th string and messes up the sound. At least I know the cure: practice

Thanks again.
Quote by Magmir
At least I know the cure: practice

Keep up that attitude and you'll be playing great music in no time.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
As Guitarmunky says it is one on many ways to play it. It is not incorrect to play it that way, but it would be wrong to assume that is the only way to play it. Use the chord fingering that best suits the situation.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.