Page 1 of 2
I was thinking about this, and wondering where certain genres are currently headed.

I've noticed Classical music going in multiple directions. With people like Philip Glass and Dominic Frasca, it's headed in a very moody and repetitive style that I love. However another direction it's going in is a very abstract character that I hate.

You see, Classical Guitar and piano (really all instruments) are going into this really cool style of composing that's very repetitive and minimalistic (I think it's good):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2BOApUvFpw

However, I've also noticed composers in the 20th and 21st century going in a very absurd direction, where the music is overloaded with dissonance. In my opinion, they're just trying to hard to be abstract, and I can't stand the music.

This piece is called "Opus Clavicembalisticum". It's being played by a computer because there are no recordings of Sorabji playing it (the original composer) and no pianist can play the whole piece accurately (many people believe it's the most challenging music of any instrument. This is just 2 minutes, but the real thing is 4 hours long).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-iXZLjJX94

I gotta respect Sorabji for being able to play something, and no other pianist has been able to play accurately (that we know of). But I absolutely hate the music, and I think it sounds like complete garbage.

I love Jazz music, and I like how it seems like artists like Diana Krall and Norah Jones are carrying it. They're both really talented musicians, and I think they're putting Jazz in a good direction.

I like where Rock music is at right now. I don't like it as much as Classic Rock, but I think it's better for it to change than to try and duplicate the Zeppelin or Hendrix sound.

I really like Mexican music, but I hate pretty much all Mexican mainstream music in the last 30 years (Ex. Tejano, Mexican Pop, etc.). I prefer the classic acoustic style.
Last edited by The Madcap at Jan 28, 2008,
my favorite genres pretty much dead :/
OMG...i'm a girl.

GOO INDIGO TEAM!

X
i love that sorajbi thing
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
I really don't feel for those classical pieces you exampled, I love spanish and such classical and flamenco, And there are some great musicians in these genres today.

Good rap is pretty much dead. I can't really form a consistent opinion about rock music's course.

Quote by Broken_Drum
With Venetian Snares who are usually Breakcore/Electronic/Jazz are now going in a more Classical direction which I like.

I just found them a couple of days ago, but I was looking for Jungle and Drum n bass.
I don't like the classical elements too much in their songs. Szamár Madár is pretty good interesting though, a bit disturbing even. Do they sample the classical aspects or play their own?
Last edited by Tommy[fin] at Jan 28, 2008,
metal, has been ****ty of late, 3iob are one of the only metal bands out today i still like
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
Punk has been bad forever so I've pretty much given up on that. I don't like the direction ska is going. There are some good indie bands out there though.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']
Good rap is pretty much dead.
No...

I just found them a couple of days ago, but I was looking for Jungle and Drum n bass.
I don't like the classical elements too much in their songs. Szamár Madár is pretty good interesting though, a bit disturbing even. Do they sample the classical aspects or play their own?

Venetian Snares (one guy) probably samples a great deal (he obviously samples drums, its essential to any sort of breakbeat genre), and I'd imagine he does a bit of classical sampling, but maybe he writes his own stuff, who knows?

Who cares?
Metal is still great, if you know where to look. Lots of good new releases. Other than that, I couldn't care less where any genre is heading; I'll always find something I like to listen to.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
Quote by Ichikurosaki
I have no favorite genre's.
just a select few i enjoy less than others.

You're cool, and rather unique and original, I might add.
Stop boasting about how eccentric your music taste is, nobody cares. You really didn't need to share all that crap.

However, I'm completely indifferent to where a genre of music is going. If they do new things and I like it, great! If I don't, I'll just listen to the music I do like. Pretty simple.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Yes I reckon Alt rock is going to get better, especially because Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr's latest albums are awesome and should revive the guitar abuse!
My favourite genre is pretty much heading into a more metal direction..

Almost all good 80's/70's prog is either dead or metal.
My fav genre is progressive metal, and thats going fine.
Quote by GoobaSun
so i just pulled my shirt up and there was brown stuff looking like boogers coming out of my belly button, I picked a piece and took a whiff...it smells like shitttttttttt! wtf is happening to me?

www.myspace.com/heroesbefore
Jazz: Going places, with Andreas Oberg and Frank Vignola at it's head.

Hip-Hop: Also seeing a bright future, between Nas', Eminem's, and possibly Jadakiss all releasing in the next few years.

Progressive metal: Dream Theater have at the very least one more album due out, Opeth are going strong, and a few underground bands have been catching eyes lately.
Dickless.
well there seems to be a lot of metal bands popping up that use electronic sort of stuff(example: enter shikari) and that pisses me off. especially since my friends love it. also, I'm annoyed how all of a sudden people make all these new genres like "mathcore" and then get pissed off when you dont know about it. why not just screw all the sub genres, and just have rock?
Metal is a bit disappointing now. I'm more worried about my band. Metallica's last album was terrible.
Quote by NeverReadyWyatt
well there seems to be a lot of metal bands popping up that use electronic sort of stuff(example: enter shikari) and that pisses me off. especially since my friends love it. also, I'm annoyed how all of a sudden people make all these new genres like "mathcore" and then get pissed off when you dont know about it. why not just screw all the sub genres, and just have rock?

A: Mathcore has been around since the early '90s, at least.

B: So bands that aren't in any way similar can be classified.

That's why they call it classification.
Dickless.
Quote by duncang
Stop boasting about how eccentric your music taste is, nobody cares. You really didn't need to share all that crap.

No one forced you to read it.
Rig

Quote by The Madcap
This piece is called "Opus Clavicembalisticum". It's being played by a computer because there are no recordings of Sorabji playing it (the original composer) and no pianist can play the whole piece accurately (many people believe it's the most challenging music of any instrument. This is just 2 minutes, but the real thing is 4 hours long).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-iXZLjJX94

I gotta respect Sorabji for being able to play something, and no other pianist has been able to play accurately (that we know of). But I absolutely hate the music, and I think it sounds like complete garbage.

Interesting. First time I've heard that song. Not one of my favourites.

I have to say that I've acquired a taste for 20th century composers. Debussy, Ravel, and Rachmaninoff have made some wonderful pieces. On the other hand, I also enjoy the dissonant music of Bartok and Prokofiev. I didn't like the guitar piece that you linked to though.

As for metal, I think it's gone downhill. Still crossing my fingers for the new Metallica album, though.
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']Lol, maybe I do?
And thanks for correcting me on absolutely nothing.

What is good rap today in your opinion ?
Soulja Boy, 50 Cent, Hurricane Chris, they're pretty underground though, you might wanna check the rap thread in the Other forum under bands and artists.
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
No one forced you to read it.

That's completely irrelelvant.

Quote by NeverReadyWyatt
why not just screw all the sub genres, and just have rock?

Or, here's a better idea, why not just screw all that confusing rock and pop and jazz crap and just call it music?!
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Quote by duncang

Or, here's a better idea, why not just screw all that confusing rock and pop and jazz crap and just call it music?!

Cause that would never work and the only people who say that is a great idea never do it (because they know it doesn't work; nothing aimed at you personally).
Quote by MastaBassist10
Cause that would never work and the only people who say that is a great idea never do it (because they know it doesn't work; nothing aimed at you personally).

It seems to failed to pick up on the sarcasm there
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Oh duncang you bitter little shell of a person.
Rig

Quote by MastaBassist10
Soulja Boy, 50 Cent, Hurricane Chris, they're pretty underground though, you might wanna check the rap thread in the Other forum under bands and artists.

Underground? Holy fuck, Thanks for the laughs.

And I'm more into the whole G-funk thing.
Last edited by Tommy[fin] at Jan 28, 2008,
punk is headed to southeast asia to find the great southeast-asian witch-doctor.
ska is headed to bolivia to get more crack.
I think what the band Grupo Fantasma is doing with Salsa music is amazing. They're just adding whatever the hell they want into the mix. They've added hip-hop, and a lot of rock music, some reggae, and I even heard them doing a metal type of salsa thing, it was awesome.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Doppelgänger
Interesting. First time I've heard that song. Not one of my favourites.

I have to say that I've acquired a taste for 20th century composers. Debussy, Ravel, and Rachmaninoff have made some wonderful pieces. On the other hand, I also enjoy the dissonant music of Bartok and Prokofiev. I didn't like the guitar piece that you linked to though.

As for metal, I think it's gone downhill. Still crossing my fingers for the new Metallica album, though.

Debussy has written some gorgeous pieces. Rachmaninoff is a bit harsh for me but really powerful stuff. Chopin has written some beautiful pieces as well.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
Oh duncang you bitter little shell of a person.

I'm not sure whether I'm hurt or honoured
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Quote by somedude01
Metal degenerated into a screaming, goth infested pile of **** ages ago.

I think Metallica, Megadeth, Dream Theater, Opeth and Iron Maiden would disagree with you there.
Quote by duncang
No. I'll talk about music the way I want to talk about it. If you get pissed off, I would suggest ignoring it.
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']

He sampled some, played some. He learnt violin just for that album.

And his other albums are quite different from it.

Overall, I don't really mind where my favourite genres are headed.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Page 1 of 2