I plan on getting a 2x12 and i dont know what speakers, id like the have some that can handle high gain metal, But also have good cleans. My choices are:Vintage 30s, G12H30s, G12T75s, Greenbacks, Classic Lead 80s, Hellatone 30s, Hellatone 60s.

Ive pretty much ruled out the vintage 30's and am leaning towards G12T75's, but any help would be great

Edit: im using a carvin v3 head
Last edited by Maggot3000 at Jan 28, 2008,
What head is it being used with?
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II
Ibanez 25W "Tone Blaster"
Fender Starcaster (Not the vintage kind, the Wal-Mart Value kit kind"

If Dimebag22 was a pie, I would cover him with whipped cream and eat his insides...
I'm a big fan of greenbacks myself. Went to a guitar clinic the other day and played through a Marshall 1960A with 4 greenbacks in it. It sounded amazing.
WTLTL 2011
I use greenbacks for both of my heads.
Jackson RR5 Rhoads
ESP Viper 400
Epiphone Les Paul EMGs (81/85)
Edwards E-CY-165CTM
FJA Modded ENGL Powerball Halfstack
Framus Cobra + Avatar 4x12 Greenbacks
Quote by Maggot3000
I plan on getting a 2x12 and i dont know what speakers, id like the have some that can handle high gain metal, But also have good cleans. My choices are:Vintage 30s, G12H30s, G12T75s, Greenbacks, Classic Lead 80s, Hellatone 30s, Hellatone 60s.

Ive pretty much ruled out the vintage 30's and am leaning towards G12T75's, but any help would be great

Edit: im using a carvin v3 head

I don't know what the wattage of your head is, but keep in mind that the Greenbacks are 25W speakers, so you would only have a 50W cabinet if you got a 2X12. If your carvin is more than 50 watts, you would want a 4X12 or a different speaker.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by Maggot3000

Why are you ruling out V30's? They're generally a pretty popular speaker for metal. I'd probably suggest one V30 and one G12T75 to really round out your sound. It also gives you nice options for gigging or recording, as you could mic one speaker or the other.

Greenbacks are cool, but I equate them with that vintage Marshall sound rather than a modern metal sound. They're also only rated for 25W, so you'd have to keep your head on 50W mode (which is still plenty loud).

edit: ^
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeah, why are you ruling out V30s? That would've been my choice...

Though I do like the G12T75s, I really don't like them in a 2x12 with another speaker, 2 different speakers in a 2x12 don't mix as well as they do in a 4x12 (imo). But it still might be a good option, since like slats said, you could mic either speaker for whatever sound you want at the time, or you can mic both for the mix.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Maggot3000
what about the hellatone 60, the aged vintage 30, anyone used those?

I 've used both the hellatone 30 and 60 in a peavey amp that I recently sold. They both sound great! The hellatone 60L is another option. It supposedly has better low end than the 60. I have not tried it yet but would like to put one in my amp. They are selling some on ebay.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
I've been checking out vader cabs alot , they look good and have had good feedback, i was wondering if anyone knows about the quality of the cleans, the v3 is a versitile amp so i could probably get a good clean out of it still
The quality of the cleans is going to depend a lot more on your amp, not the speakers, unless you mean how they're EQ'd, then that's up to you. As long as they're rated high enough and won't break up quickly at volumes you'll normally play at, you'd be fine with any choice of speakers really.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
alright thanks guys, i think im gonna go with the vader, for a final question, is there really any advantage or anything in ohms? my amp can do 4,8, and 16 and i get to select which i want on the amp